The Birmingham Hotel
$84
$99
$92
Agoda.com
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed August 27, 2011

I stayed for two nights , the hotel was dirty , not in a good area with alot of street noise . The duvet was very thin and the room was cold

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed June 25, 2011

You are greeted first by the shabby looking reception area, really in need of a full refurbishment. Then you are have the unfortunate experience of dealing with an extremely obnoxious man who is supposedly the General Manager. In all my years of staying at hotels, I have never met a Manager so rude, offensive and downright incompetent. He made it obvious that he couldn't be bothered to help when we asked about restaurants in the vicinity, and refused to look on the internet for us. We would have gladly eaten in the hotel restaurant for dinner, however we were rudely informed by him that it is not open for dinner, just bar food available in the evenings. We also overheard him swearing at another guest at the hotel, completely unprofessional behaviour!
The carpark is certainly not secure as there was a van broken into while we were staying there.
We will definitely not return to this place until it has had some serious money spent on refurbishment and the appointment of a competent General Manager.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank JustinSight
Reviewed June 24, 2011

Stopping overnight in The Birmingham Hotel for a business trip, in Birmingham city centre, location was great, hotel standard was OK for price, cleanliness of room was excellent and well presented, dinner in the bar was of a high standard, although prices where slighlty too high.
On Check-In an asian male was very rude, had no manners and was very abrupt about directions to my room and to the city centre. Later in the evening the receptionist that was on duty assuming he was duty manager, I questioned him about the asain man on duty earlier on in the day he informed me that he was the hotel's General Manager.
For a General Manager to speak to quests in the way i had experienced is unexceptable he should be setting an example to all other members of staff.
The receptionist on duty then apologised once i had told him what had happened earlier on in the day on his behalf for his GM's actions and behaviour, the receptionist then was very helpful to me about directions to the city centre and things to do in Birmingham during my short stay, i also overheard him and a resturant member of staff talking about giving me an exceptional meal which i was very grateful for.
On the morning of my Check-Out i checked out with the GM and again he was very rude to not only me but the customer who was checking out before myself, i then asked him for head office details which he refused to give me, i have now found them out myself and have put in an official complaint about him as this was the worst customer service i have ever witnessed and recieved especially from a GM!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 15, 2011

Stayed here with my son - we had checked previous comments and were a little concerned if I'm honest
We were welcomed by a really friendly and helpful guy who checked us in efficiently and offered good advice on the area and the nearby restaurants - a great welcome!
The area isn't great but its a walking distance from "the Balti triangle" or Ladypool Road where we had an awesome curry!
The hotel is a little tired in places and the bedroom Walls are a little thin, i could hear the room next door chatting. But the room itself was clean and tidy and had a good shower. Breakfast was good and a quick turnaround
Overall I think people who stay here should consider how much they are paying and what are they expecting for the money? It makes no airs or graces it just does exactly what it says on the tin! I would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2011
3  Thank sdcsmith2000
Reviewed January 30, 2011

Booked this Hotel for one night. arrived place was deserted. Rooms were adequate but beds were appauling so uncomfortable. Bar ran out of Carlsberg , no stocks to replace. We went out for evening, came back at 11.30 for a drink at bar. This was shut at 11pm even for residents.
We got our belongings and left the place even without staying. Worst hotel I have ever encountered

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends