“"Disgusted"”

Cuisines: Asian, Barbecue, Indian, Pub, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed May 7, 2014

This place is so over rated. No tables to sit and when you do get one they watch you like hawks to free it! Never been so disappointed. Went to the gents and the kitchen is on route. If you are as lucky as me to see the kitchen you'd never order again!!! DONT EVEN CONTEMPLATE IT! You'll be better off going to The Red Lion, Sandwell. I've no issue with high prices but you'd expect to pay the prices they charge if you are in the town centre!! Not in a well below standard run of the mill pub on the outskirts! Absolute rip off! Im genuine and this is the first time I've ever felt the need to comment about exaggerated hype hiding behind the strength of the internet! A complete con!

7  Thank Dave B

Reviewed May 7, 2014

This gem of a pub is located not too far from the city centre, which makes it a great location. The food here is always superb, with great service and a welcoming atmosphere.

The only problem is its rather small size, meaning it can get rather busy and difficult to find space at some times. Overall though, one can't complain as they do a great job in trying their best to serve everyone. Defiantly the best pub in Birmingham!

Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

I go to Indian pubs like this all the time, so was intrigued to see why it was ranked number 3 out of 1,419 restaurants in Brum on here.
When we walked in, it was just a standard pub, not even nicely done up, and not very spacious.
The drinks were a rip-off. £13.50 for 3 pints of Peroni (we'd been getting the same for less than £10 earlier in the day at another Indian pub).
The food was overpriced in comparison to other Indian pubs, but was quite decent (which is why I haven't given this place the lowest possible rating).
When we went to the bar to get ripped off again, the bar man started taking my drinks order, stopped to answer the phone, then came back and served someone else instead, so we left.
Do not believe the random hype on here like I did. There are plenty of places like this, but cheaper and better, in nearby West Brom and Smethwick.

4  Thank Dalmeister
Reviewed May 3, 2014

Was heading into Birmingham for a night out so decided I wanted to try Hen and chickens been wanting too for quite a while so perfect opportunity. On ringing up to enquire about booking they told me that it was not a restaurant but a pub which I already knew this thought it was good they were telling me this though as too know what to expect

Hen and chickens only 10 min walk from snow hill station and its easy to find on entering its a basic pub pool table chairs tables etc not a restaurant but plenty of character fairly busy when we arrived we were show to our table and given the menu I opted for the large mixed grill £12.00 and Mrs went for Lamb Korma and rice both enjoyed our meals mixed grill was fantastic value for money and sooo much there easily for 2/3 people and Mrs spoke highly of Lamb korma lamb melted in mouth

On paying asked the manager if he could ring me a taxi that was no problem really polite and attentive to customer

Will be returning and plenty of people asked about the mixed grill after I posted mixed grill pic on social network sites

If you chose hen and chickens read the reviews and ring up know what your walking into then you wont be disappointed

2  Thank jay1984
Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

The mix grills in the photos have the wow factor but our lamb rogan josh and garlic naans were the most popular with us. Warm service, relaxed atmosphere and great value. We will definitely be back soon!

1  Thank Patellis2013