“Great addition” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Pickled Piglet

The Pickled Piglet
Ranked #34 of 2,186 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Relaxed drinking & dinning serving barrister style coffee, loose leaf teas, continental draft beers, cocktails, sharing plates, small plate(tapas)with a British twist. All made in house by our dedicated team
UK
“Great addition”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

Really liked this place. Lovely food, good price and ideal location. The service was very good and I hope it's a success. Also with the close by Tap and Spile, and Canalside Cafe makes a good contrast to Broad Street and the more corporate offerings nearby. Give it a go.

• Visited June 2013

“Close but no cigar....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Who knew that a mere minutes walk from the bustling and raucous Broad Street was this fine restaurant. Ate here for the first time last night and enjoyed every morsel of food put in front of me. The pork pâté was a particular favourite almost falling into the category of a mousse as the texture was so creamy but still retaining a full and rich flavour you would expect.

The restaurant itself was lovely, quaint but elegantly decorated with pieces from the local Castle's Gallery. Music was slightly too quiet and ended up being a bit of a nonentity forcing me to break away from my plate as engage in conversation (not such a bad thing perhaps). The service may have been a bit slow for others but I found it perfect in the relaxed atmosphere and all the staff were perfect.

Having seen the menu online I knew what to expect in prices, I was however surprised at the portion sizes. So often when visiting places I am left feeling hungry after a 3+ course meal but I could barely manage the starter and main here. Had I not seen the menu and already knew how reasonably priced it was, I would have been greatly impressed.

Throughout my evening I only had two qualms. Whilst the presentation of the food was amazing, every course was served on a rectangular plate. I have no issue with the style of plate, but every single plate had an uneven base which caused it to rock. A small point which turned into a slight game with my companions - table or plate? We eventually discovered plate after moving them around every inch of the table. My second gripe was your house vodka. I had originally thought you had run out and had to borrow a bottle of Smirnoff from one of your Broad Street neighbours. There are such better bottles available and any mixologist worth their salt will tell you Smirnoff would be the bottom of their list. Skyy is a personal favourite and widely used as a house vodka as it ticks the boxes of both quality and price.

The above are two minor points on an otherwise amazing evening. It just seemed that for a company that has clearly gone to so much effort to get things right, the above two oversights could make a quick difference. I look forward to seeing you again soon.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Chrissy R, Manager at The Pickled Piglet, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Hi

Many thanks for reviewing us after your visit on Saturday evening.

I am currently looking into Skyy vodka, thanks for the recommendation.

We hope to see you again soon.

Steve
“Incredibly slow service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

I ate at the Pickled Piglet on a Wednesday evening with a group of 11 others.

My friend had booked the table about a month prior to us eating there and was told that we would need to order in advance as we were a large group. We were happy to do this and he chased them twice asking for a menu so that we could make our choices and they didn't get back to him with it. In the end they said for us just to turn up and our order would be taken on the night.

We all arrived at 7.15pm to a half full bar/ restaurant area and we were shown to a separate dining area away from everyone else downstairs by the kitchen. The staff were slow in bringing us the menus to look at and took half an hour and some prompting by my friend before they came and took our orders. Quite a few of us had ordered some specific tapas to start with and then a main meal as part of a special deal the restaurant were offering. It then took 40 minutes after ordering for our tapas to arrive. We were not impressed by the waitress who tried to plonk the tapas down in the middle of the table without explaining what they were. She also bought us over two 'complimentary' chick peas tapas (which we were later charged for on our final bill).

The tapas were very tasty but it was then another half an hour wait until we received our main courses. For those of us who had only ordered main courses, they were about ready to pass out from hunger! Although when my main course arrived it was very tasty.

The staff were also very slow in bringing the bill to us at the end of the evening.
It was a shame as the food itself was very tasty and was good value for money but in terms of service and organisation I wouldn't visit the restaurant again. For larger groups they need to get their act together. The service shouldn't have been that slow when they knew so far in advance that we were coming and also had the opportunity to make us pre-order in advance but through lack of organisation couldn't be bothered to do this.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Micro_Fraggle
Chrissy R, Owner at The Pickled Piglet, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Hi

My name is Mark. I am the Chef Patron of The Pickled Piglet.

I have read through your review of us and would like to take this opportunity to respond if I may.

I note that you mention that you arrived in the bar area at 7.15pm, unfortunately, that was not the case for your entire party. Some of your party arrived late which then pushed your seating time into a later allocation which meant other tables had arrived for their reservations. This would go some way to explain some of the delay in your orders being taken. At this point I will accept that we were due to send you a menu to pre-order from which was not done and I offer my apologies for that.

With reference to the starters taking 40 minutes to arrive, I know that this was not the case as it was myself in the kitchen that night.

With reference to the 'complementary chickpea chilli' these were prepared by myself due to an error on our til system which has now been rectified, however, the Paprika sausages which were order and received, were not charged for, therefore there was no extra cost incurred by yourselves.

With reference to my waitress 'plonking' the food down, I have spoken to my General Manager and left that issue in his capable hands to address with the said waitress and may I assure you that this issue will be dealt with.

We pride ourselves at The Pickled Piglet for providing quality food and quality service and I apologise for the issues which you encountered but I also wanted to address the issues which I felt were somewhat unjust.

I hope that we have the opportunity to host you again at The Pickled Piglet.

Regards

Mark Rafferty
Chef Patron
“Great little restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

Dined here on Friday, it's a delightful old building, enjoyed the food and wine, plenty to choose from on the menu, and the staff are very attentive. so much nicer than the chains in the mailbox and only a stones throw away too, so next time you can't get a table at the Mailbox take a walk up the canal side and come out on Gas Street and give this place a go, you won't regret it.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Lovely Staff and Really Good Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

I am thrilled to have found this place! The staff are so friendly and helpful and it has a lovely atmosphere! Overall the food was great but the cheese platter in particular is one of the best I have had in a long time, perfect quantity of cheese to go with the bread, biscuits, dates, grapes and walnuts, it was a perfect selection. Had such a good dinner there on Friday I went back again on Saturday for lunch - I look forward to eating here again!