Tripadvisor
Birmingham

“Good food, good drinks and good service”

The Old Contemptibles
Reserve a Table
DesignMyNight
Ranked #65 of 2,772 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: You will find The Old Contemptibles in Edmund Street Birmingham within a short stroll of Corporation Street, Colemore Row and New Street - however you won't find another like it. Step in to discover a traditional pub of unique character, revered for its eclectic range of real ales, vast gin selection and its quality pub food, which are served, as they should be, with a generous measure of famous British hospitality.The Old Contemptibles is one of many rare gems in the Nicholson's collection of great British pubs, reputed for their distinctive buildings, intriguing history and vibrant atmosphere. We pride ourselves on great, attentive service with quality being our main focus. We are a speciality Sausage and Chop house, so look out for our Speciality Menus. There is a large range of food to choose from. Our dining room has room for 30 covers and we offer full table service, so booking is recommended.
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

A group of us ate on Saturday and had a wonderful time that was helped by the excellent service provided by Liz(?).
Still one of the best pubs in Birmingham.

Date of visit: January 2020
GeneralManagerAA, Owner at The Old Contemptibles, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi BVand GP

Thank you for choosing the Old Contemptibles to have a bite to eat, Liz is an amazing member of the team who will provide excellent service to all guests. A real gem of a person!!

I do hope we see you again soon?

Nathan

Write a reviewReviews (608)

Reviewed January 12, 2020 via mobile

I tried the untitled Edinburgh IPA and decided to have a half as it was 5.5%
Very nice hoppy IPA that's £2.35 for half, not the cheapest, but very good.
Always a pleasure to pop in here. One of my favourite Nicholson pubs alongside the one in the centre of York of which I have reviewed, but the name escapes me.

7  Thank PaulB27August
GeneralManagerAA, Owner at The Old Contemptibles, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2020

PaulB27August

I thank you for your great comments, its great to see we are one of your favourite pubs!! The IPA you had is a very distintive flavour which I do lie myself.
Funny enough I used to live in york and I worked at the Old White Swan is a tremendous pub!! maybe that was the one you were possibly describing?

I do thank you for your comments and I hope you pop in soon?

Reviewed January 11, 2020

I always return to this pub when I'm in Birmingham. The staff are friendly and efficient, the food good and reasonably priced and the beer well kept. Nice traditional pub - has everything I want!

Hi Michael L

It always fills me with pride to see the team work hard to ensure the guests enjoy their visit here, a pleasant experience for all!!
We have a wonderful team member who looks after the cellar and makes sure the beer is ready for the guests, some beatuiful ales I must say!!

I will communicate all these great comments to the team as they love compliments!!

Reviewed January 4, 2020

Had an excellent evening with great ale and food, the staff are very friendly and efficient - Cathy sorted everything - table at late notice on a very busy evening, drinks and food - ale was excellent and pies too - came back the next day and had one of the best burgers I've had in a long time.

Date of visit: December 2019
GeneralManagerAA, Manager at The Old Contemptibles, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2020

Hi Ebeees

I'm so pleased you had a wonderful evening!! Cathy is an amazing host, always willing to help in any way she can. A real pleasure to work with also.
The choices you had were great, the burgers go down a treat as I love them so much!!

I will pass on this great review to Cathy as she will be over the moon!!

Reviewed December 30, 2019 via mobile

Visited the old contemptibles last Saturday as part of a Christmas get together with friends we had a few drinks and then ate in the small restaurant - service was very good and prompt which was important as we had theatre tickets for later and our waiter was very helpful, making sure we were out at the required time.
Food was good and portions ideal and everyone enjoyed their dish.
Would definitely go back there again.

Date of visit: December 2019
GeneralManagerAA, Manager at The Old Contemptibles, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2020

Hi Juliemac2015

I absolutely love reviews like these, it's so endearing to see you had a fabulous experience.
The team have worked tirelessly over Christmas, and to see we gave 100% is fantastic!!

I will pass this onto to all the team about your experience, as they love the compliments!!
Wishing you a happy new year!!