“Birmingham Heights for Birmingham Sights”

Holiday Inn Express Birmingham - Snow Hill
Ranked #50 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed November 1, 2013

For an HIE this is top quality (must be the refurb) and excellent value for money, if booked in advance (as was said). I took a double room with sofa bed which was extremely spacious. Lay out room well thought out -from large double walk in shower with glass shelves for stuff (upper and lower), full length mirror for swans with hairdryer adjacent. On 17th floor with triple glazing- it was quiet outwith those noisy A/C's -I think there may also be an issue re- bed comfort- this has been said. Plentiful lifts that are responsive to come and get up to all floors. Breakfast area open plan, kitchen staff polite even when hectic and very good at restocking the usual HIE fayre. Great atmosphere as was said at this "officers mess" style breakfast area and with welcome/reception team. I would recommend and certainly hope to return. Fantastic location - central yet off the beaten track re-visiting Jewellery Quarter etc. Close to Supermarkets (Sainsbury and little convenience store Waitrose) and snowhill station but only 10 mins walk max from new Street station also.

Room Tip: High up rooms quiet re- traffic. get up early for quiet breakfast p'haps.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Neila C, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham - Snow Hill, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for a fantastic comments about our hotel, I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us and look foward to see youon your next visit to Birmingham.

Guest Service Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,108)

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Would have given this the full marks if it wasn't for the very uncomfortable sofa bed that is provided in a family room. You feel every spring in it as the mattress is so thin and soft.
So not a good night sleep had and also that the A/C unit makes a lot of noise. This was reported when we first arrived to say that the A/C unit did not work and made a noise. We were promised another room, on return we were told that the A/C unit had been looked at and everything was ok and it worked fine. This is to our relief as we did not want to have to change rooms late at night with 2 young children. Throughout the night this made a noise as if a shower had been put on, if this was not noisy enough then you could hear every guest walk past the room throughout the night. The walls are not well soundproofed at all.
So the adults had a terrible nights sleep, the children were fine and had a good night sleep.
For a hotel at this level the comfort of the beds/sofa beds should be much better. In comparison to Premier Inn, well it does not compare, the sofa beds at a Premier Inn are fantastic if you are a family.
The positives to this hotel:
Location is great. A short walk to restaurants, shopping etc..
Very clean hotel
Very courteous and polite staff
Breakfast was ok, make sure you are early as it does get very busy.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Lucy T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham - Snow Hill, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Dear Guest ,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, I am sorry that your stay was faulty by the maintenance issues like air con, sofa bed and noise.

In regards to sofa bed we have had in general fairly good feedback on the quality of our beds but I shall certainly investigate this further as well as the maintenance issues and regarding the noise we have already started working on it.

As a valued guest your feedback is always important to us and to improve all aspects of our service.

I hope that should you choose to stay with us again you will find our service much improved

Regards
Lucy Thapa

Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

A lovely stay again at the HIE Snow Hill, we love it for its location and cleanliness, and the breakfast is great albeit a bit hectic if you leave it too late, but hey, get up if you want it! Good price too if you book early, staff always helpful, 5* for me

• Stayed: October 2013
Andrea W, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham - Snow Hill, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for anothe fantastic comment, I am delighthed to hear that once again we have meet your expectaions and that the staff were at hand to serve you.

Once again Thank you for your feedback and hope to see you very soon.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for the weekend as a relaxing getaway. I had a little trouble booking with my Groupon voucher as when telephoning to book I was informed by reception staff to call back in 10 mins. On calling back they said 'sorry' reservations are now closed! Eventually managed to book the next day. On arriving at the hotel the first receptionist we encountered was quite sullen, we arrived earlier than the scheduled check in time and asked if we could leave our cases. I did ask if there was any chance at all that our room would be ready and her answer was 'no!', not even a 'I will check', I was a little surprised as a couple standing next to us were being checked in by another member of staff. At no time during booking or checking in was I asked if I was a Priority Club Member, (I am). On our return to the hotel the staff were very pleasant and check in was easy. The room was clean and adequate for our weekend stay. We were on the 7th floor and overlooked a demolition site. The walls of the rooms are extremely thin, there was a family with children next door who were very loud, banging on the wall constantly and you could hear every word said. I had an awful first nights sleep, the mattress was so soft you could feel the springs digging through into you and it made you roll into the middle of the bed, very uncomfortable and not good if you suffer from back problems. We were then disturbed very early by the noise of the demolition going on outside, the road was shut for the weekend and huge cranes were being delivered, pneumatic drills were being used constantly, There was no mention of this at all on booking or checking in. We were surprised when again on sunday morning at 7.30, off they went again, more demolition work. I suggest if you are visiting over the next few weeks you ask for a room on the other side of the hotel! Plus points of the hotel have to be the friendly staff, great location near to shopping and free breakfast. I have stayed at many Holiday Inn Express's over the years and was disappointed with this one. I would return if given a quieter room on a higher floor.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham - Snow Hill, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Dear Pitstop123,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. It is encouraging to know you liked our location and the free breakfast. However, we are sorry that you didn’t find your stay as pleasant as you would have hoped due to the issues with the room you had. Rest assured that we will take your comments under consideration so they will help us become the best hotel we can be. We hope you give us the privilege to continue to serve you in the near future.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Stayed for one night. We were put in disabled room 716 even though neither of us are disabled. This meant the bathroom was full of handrails and a disabled toilet with an uncomfortable toilet seat - the type with a gap at the front. No bath, just a big wet room shower. Also, because it's a disabled room there was a light on all night (I believe this is a legal requirement in disabled rooms) which was a bit irritating. The room was very small. No view from the tiny window. Very small double bed.
I wanted to phone reception straight away to ask to change rooms, but my husband never wants to make a fuss and wouldn't let me. If I'd have been on my own I would have asked immediately!
Woken by a toddler in the opposite room having an hour long tantrum at 6am. Not the hotel's fault, but doesn't say much about their soundproofing.
Breakfast was terrible. We queued for 20 minutes only to find empty hot plates, so waited even longer for more food to be brought out, causing the queue to back up further. Whilst queuing, we were constantly walked through by staff clearing away - the queue cuts straight across the entrance to the kitchen - very poor layout.
Scrambled eggs were the only choice of eggs but they and the beans were ok, sausages were AWFUL. I'd be surprised if they'd ever seen a pig before, such was the abysmal quality. They don't do bacon/tomatoes/mushrooms/hash browns.
Had a "pain au chocolat" but only managed a mouthful as it tasted of pure grease. Fancied some fruit but both bowls were empty and was too hungry to wait any longer.
Tables were very busy - you get your food first and then find a table. We ended up sharing with another family. There were one or two queue jumpers who showed no regard for their fellow guests and just barged in front. Nothing was done about this by staff.
It is a shame because we stayed in the Holiday Inn Express at Southend airport earlier this year and it was BRILLIANT. Snow Hill need to take a visit there to get some tips!
We will definitely NOT return to this hotel.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cheekybabymonkey

Dear Guest,

I am deeply sorry to hear about your recent stay with us. Unfortunatly we did have problems with breakfast over the weekend, we have introduce "Traffic Light System" explaining when breakfast is busy but unfortunatly this doesnt always work.

I would like to discuss this further with you direct, please contact me direct on 0121 647 3 999 or by email neila.carvalho@hiebirmingham.com

Reviewed October 25, 2013

Three of us stayed earlier this month for a weekend break. Couldn't agree more with everything that has already been said. The location was a pleasant surprise as we hadn't realised it was so handy for all that Birmingham has to offer. The front-desk staff were especially welcoming and the extra bed is also a very good size.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Lucy T, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham - Snow Hill, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2013

Thank you for a fantastic review. I am delighted to read that your stay was enjoyable.

Thank you once again and I do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards
Lucy Thapa

Reviewed October 24, 2013

A good deal for value for money travellers. Stayed there for two weeks.
Not a extravagant hotel everything is self service. Rooms are modern, clean , plush and well decorated.Specially bathroom was very nicely decorated. Plus morning breakfast adds to the value. Room service is also good.
Really good atmosphere and friendly staff within. Close to city center walking distance.
Holiday Inn didnt disappointed me again.
Very Pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Choose higher floor rooms mine was 15th Floor
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrew G, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham - Snow Hill, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thak you for your positive feedback. I am happy to know that you have ound the stafff friendly and that you had a great time with us.

Once again thank you for your comments and look foward to see yo soon.

Regards