Edgbaston Cricket Ground
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
Reviewed August 25, 2013

It was my first time to Edgbaston too. I'm hoping some of our feedback may be useful for future years- if people read our reviews. I thought that the redeveloped ground is a major improvement on the old ground. Unfortunately, I sensed a somewhat exploitative undertone to events. Whereas the Rose Bowl had laid on buses from the station, Edgbaston charged for them and the price was too much. There were no scorecards (not the same as 'programmes') available, which is something I have obtained at most other grounds. Except for one excellent Indian stall where I had an excellent and reasonably priced curry (twice), all other outlets were too expensive. There was no information about whether people could go out of the ground in the interval. Although I am an avid cricket supporter, the atmosphere at games is not what it used to be before the invasion of 'football' stewards with no appreciation of the game. I remember with fondness the good old days when children could practice on the outfield and people could decide for themselves when it was appropriate to enter stands or what to bring into the ground. I hope, rather forlornly, that some grounds will take a stand and try to restore the spirit of cricket. The heavy-handed behaviour of stewards unfortunately detracted from my experience of the finals day. The cricket itself was excellent and groundstaff did well to get the final restarted relatively soon after the rain. At one point, I was expecting to have to come back on the reserve day. I will be back next year- hoping but not really believing that the logistics will be better.

1 Thank Max B

• Polish first
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Shabby, in desperate need of a facelift”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We visited Edgbaston on Twenty20 Finals Day this year.

We had an amazing day which was brilliant value for money; the cricket and the entertainment were absolutely top notch. Full marks to the ground staff for preparing such a good batting surface and for dealing with the intermittent rain. There is a good selection of eateries dotted around the perimeter of the ground with Burger Vans, Fish and Chips, Pig Roasts and an Indian and there was certainly no issue with getting a drink. There is also a small museum which provided a quick distraction between games. The downside? Living close to London most of my cricket watching experiences have been at Lords or The Oval, Edgbaston is distinctly shabby in comparison. Yes the new grandstand looks impressive but the rest of the ground is in need to some serious tlc. It looks grotty walking in and not significantly better from inside. The seats are very uncomfortable. The parking was also a complete disaster. We had booked official parking in Calthorpe Park. The roads surrounding the park are not wide enough to handle the volume of traffic which coupled with the fact that the address and postcode printed on the tickets didn't actually match the car park entrance and the fact that there were no signs or stewards around meant that we wasted an hour trying to park the car. Warwickshire CC have also been very tardy in handling my complaint and request for a refund. To summarise I would definitely come back to Twenty20 Finals Day but not to Edgbaston.

Salisbury, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Great Day of Cricket”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

My first time to Edgbaston. Great day out. Great atmosphere, facilities, public announcements and views. Seats were a little uncomfortable; but what sports grounds aren't.

My only criticism (outside Edgbaston's control perhaps) is their events don't exactly correspond with a lot of the public transport (Trains), so you can be stuck in Brum if you don't drive.

oxon
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We got lucky and secured tickets in the skyline . Awesome viewing area with it's own toilets and bar , and a roof to keep the rain off . Excellent view of the pitch and ground . Recommend the skyline to everyone , best place to watch the cricket .

54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 167 helpful votes
“Everyone should experience T20 finals day”
Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Visited Edgbaston for T20 finals day for a second time. This is the most fabulous day out - we saw 3 matches totalling over 900 runs and 35 wickets. The atmosphere is electric and I can thoroughly recommend the Eric Hollies stand provided you are not expecting polite clapping and murmurs of appreciation - it is a rather full- blooded experience. T20 is not proper cricket but plays a vitally important role within the game. Compare T20 finals to a Lord's test and the amazing variety within this great sport is remarkable. Finals Day is an essential experience for hardened cricket fans AND those who have never watched the game before. Edgbaston is a superb venue which handles the unusual challenges of the day admirably - even when the weather makes life difficult.