“War Of The Late Comers”

Genting Arena
Ranked #34 of 266 things to do in Birmingham
Reviewed December 8, 2014

Visited Friday 5th December - War Of The Worlds

It's an impressive arena, very well organised on the inside. Can't comment on parking issues as we stayed in a hotel on the other side of the tracks and walked there. However, judging from where the crowds went when they left, lots of people used the British Rail car park on the other side of the subway, or indeed a few picked up their cars at our hotel car park and drove off.

We'd already eaten by the time we got there, well aware that once inside prices for food and drink will be on the high side, but there seemed to be plenty of outlets for both. During the interval of course the queues at every bar and counter were stacked! Plenty of loos at regular intervals so no issues there.

Picking up on what a previous reviewer said, the lights dimmed, we heard the first familiar bars of Jeff Wayne's magnificent score, and still we had - "'Scuse me. Scuse me. Is this our row?" as late comers found their seats. Why do people do this, and why doesn't the venue shut the doors with a couple of minutes to go? Harsh, but it might drag a few people away from the bar in time, and not inconvenience the thousands of others who managed the feat. The couple next to us were even in the wrong row and had to move to the row behind. The late arrivals who replaced them even managed a repeat at the start of the second half.

We were situated in block 15, but had a good view of the actors and musicians. Not such a great view of the video wall as part of it was obscured by a large lighting fixture. Liam Neeson's hologram was not always visible from the side, but that's to do with how WOTW is laid out rather than anything the LG could sort. However, if I came again I would consider a less side-on view.

Overall then, impressed with the LG and its facilities and would consider it again as opposed to say a London venue ( we're about the same distance from both ). Knowing the parking issues as highlighted by others, if I was arriving by car and not staying at a hotel, I would certainly consider parking near the International rail station and walking from there.

1  Thank grahamjp53
Write a ReviewReviews (1,286)
All reviews
in 16 reviews
"resorts world"
in 21 reviews

Reviewed December 7, 2014

The staff were excellent and very considerate. I am a wheelchair user and everyone was really helpful. My wife and I went to see War of the Worlds. The viewing area inside the arena had a great view of the stage. Bars, shops and toilets were all on level ground with no steps so fully accessible. The pavement outside is sometimes uneven with a few slopes to climb. We had to wait for a bit for a taxi so this could have been better organised. We booked one of the Amplify Dining deals which was well worth the money. A really nice lounge serving great food and drink. It had lift access. The only down point is that the two doors to the lounge made it a bit tricky to get in. The carpet was quite thick so the wheelchair was a bit heavy going. Other than that, an enjoyable evening.

Reviewed December 6, 2014

Last night was my first trip to the LG Arena. Booked tickets to see War of the Worlds tour. As we have been to the NEC a couple of times, we headed straight for the West Car Park. Absolutely no queue to get in, and loads of spaces. Then took a brisk 10 minute walk to the LG Arena. Very impressed with the security. There was someone at every turn to make sure you got there. No queue to get in either - they really do know what they are doing. Also like the fact that once you are in there is a large row of staff there to help, and they were very helpful. Once inside we decided to get a bite to eat. You can get burgers, pizza, noodles and fish and chips. I would only get something that you can eat standing up, or be prepared to sit on the floor. Massive lack of anywhere to sit. The food is expensive, and not really anything to get excited about. A burger and bottle of water was just shy of £7. The burger was a typical fast food outlet burger and not something I am in a hurry to repeat. Coffee was £2.50, and was good. They have an outside smoking area which was easy to get to. We were impressed with the facilities, no hour long queue for the ladies. It was very easy to find our seats and for an arena they were surprisingly comfy. With hindsight I would have paid a bit extra and sat in front of the stage rather than to the side of it. We were towards the back, but it didn't matter as they had large screens.
And now for the moan - We made sure we were in our seats by 7.50pm as the show started at 8pm. They were still letting people in 20 minutes after the show had started. How annoying is that? You are trying to watch a show you have paid stupid amounts of money for, and some idiot is trying to get passed you to their seat. Most theatres won't let you in till the interval if you are late. My other moan was the amount of people recording the show. Fortunately the person sat beside me asked the person in front of us to stop. The light from his phone was so bright that it was ruining the enjoyment. So once all the late comers had taken their seats, and the idiot with the light was sorted, the rest of the evening was brilliant. Although I was surprised how many people started to rush off about 5 minutes before the end. No idea why, as there was no queue to get out of the arena or car park.
My advice would be to park in the West Car Park, get there with enough time to be sat down BEFORE the show starts (good manners surely), sit facing the stage, and hope that you don't get someone intent on recording the whole show. Oh yes, take your own drink with you, and eat before you get there.

2  Thank Suzie P
Reviewed December 5, 2014

There no way around it, if you arrive by car an hour before a concert at the LG Arena you may miss the start! Parking and traffic management are terrible. There are plenty of staff waving their arms but the limited access roads and sheer volumes mean the system can't cope. Once parked the "bus every 10 minutes" to the arena seemed to get caught up in the traffic vortex. We waited for 25 minutes, within 10 minutes of the concert start time, before flagging down one of the £1 per person taxis - lifesaver! The staff in side the arena are efficient and we sat down within minutes of the start. Conclusion - an hour isn't enough!

2  Thank FADEC