“Fantastik...Thank you Michelangelo”

Il Michelangelo
Ranked #159 of 2,339 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Fine Italian cuisine just South West of Birmingham in the heart of the West Midlands. This family owned and operated Italian gem of a restaurant offers fantastic value for money dining, whether it's for Lunch, Dinner, Supper, Sunday Lunch or that Special Occassion.
Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

Visted the restorante with my best friends.
We were gretted buy the staff which were welcoming and very friendly.
We had a lovely Christmas menu which u can chose between a 3course or a 4course.
We went for the three course at first but end it having the four course instead.
I had the goat chees brushetta which was mouth watering.
Was not keen on the sorbett but when it came to me God I wanted more. (mango sorbett)yumm.
For main course I had the sea bas ravioli ,it was fantastik cooked and with lobster...As a fan of sea food 10out of 10on my book.
Dessert was hard choise but I want for the chritsmas pudding.Panatone Di Nattale...which was beautiful prezented and delicios and very filling.

In over all I loved my visit at Il Michelangelo.
The food was fantastik.
We had a good evening.
Staff were very frindly.
When we got the bill we expected alot more but it was very good, specialy for the food we eat we expected more but very. happy not conplaining.

I will be going back again ,and soon to Il Michelangelo with family.
Just like to wish you a Happy New Year and please do carry on like this.
Thank you for you service.

1  Thank Kate-Sara

Reviewed December 23, 2012

Well away from any fashionable town or city, tucked away in the midst of off licences and take aways can be found the stylish, modern Italian restaurant "II Michelangelo". True the location is no major attraction but upon entering we were greeted by a clean,friendly environment making us feel welcome and appreciated.
Throughout the evening all staff were extremley efficient, despite it being a very busy christmas party evening. Perhaps not the place to be for a quiet romantic meal but i am sure at other times of the year it would be perfect for such an occasion.
All the meals had by our group were excellent, well priced and beautifully presented with a very large selection on the menu meeting all tastes.The lamb shanks deserve special praise, succulent meat,beautifully cooked with a selection of roasted vegtables.
Overall a terrific family run Italian restuarant, with the most fantastic hospitality and superb food, unfortuntely for them maybe not in a location many people would ever venture too other than locals. Thankfully i am one of those so will certainly be returning.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

Prawn starter straight out of the 80,s but tasted OK. Cold main course with edible lamb and cold mash and a scant few Luke warm veg. Decent out of a pack tiramisu with squirty cream! Couldn't be bothered whipping a bit? I was in a party of about 25 but frankly, if you can't cater for groups, don't book them. Had heard good things about the place but sadly it didn't live upto the hype. Won't be going back and wouldn't recommend to friends.

1  Thank Adam C
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Visited early on a Saturday evening for the set menu following recommendations on Tripadvisor. Warm welcome from all the staff and service excellent. For starters we chose whitebait and ribs. Both were extremely tasty. My steak was huge and cooked to perfection, the accompanying vegetables were also lovely. My partner had lamb shank and really enjoyed this. Desserts of ice cream and profiteroles finished the meal off nicely. Definately not given small portions or inferior food as can sometimes be the case with set or special menus. Price for three courses was £12.95 with a £2.95 supplement for steak or lamb. Excellent value for money. Will definately be returning and recommending to family and friends

1  Thank Carol F
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I’ve lived within a stone’s throw of Brockmoor for 40+ years and have never had a reason to go there, so when the local grapevine mentioned an Italian restaurant I was initially sceptical, but word of mouth was very encouraging. I needed a second opinion, so turned to Trip Advisor. There were 13 reviews for Il Michelangelo, with eleven giving 5 stars, one 4 stars and one 3 stars. Wow. There was also another listing using the incorrect spelling “Il Michaelangelo” (extra ‘a’) and this had five reviews all giving 5 stars. With reviews like that it must be worth a try, so four of us decided to go on a Saturday evening.

The venue is a former pub, but it has been totally re-vamped. The car park was small and it was Saturday night so we were very lucky to park. There is road-side parking nearby but I’m not sure if Brockmoor has a public car park that could be used.

As soon as we walked through the door the staff greeted us with a very warm and friendly welcome. The restaurant was already packed which is always a good sign. The décor was fresh and modern with obvious attempts to create the Italian theme.

The menu was extensive with various sections including all the Italian favourites such as pizza, pasta and risotto. If a restaurant offers veal there is usually only one dish, but Il Michelangelo had a few to choose from. This was an impressive menu. On the other hand, the wine list was not impressive. There were about 5 or 6 white and red and a couple of rose. All the bottles were commendably Italian, but there was no real quality wine on offer. The most expensive bottle appeared to be £16.95. At restaurant prices, that is not a top quality wine. Don’t get me wrong, it is acceptable wine and will certainly satisfy a lot of people, but I would have expected an Italian restaurant to also have something a little more special.

The starters arrived very quickly. They were ok but nothing exceptional. Maybe 6/10 for the starters. My wife had ordered the bread and olives. The olives were very nice but disappointingly there was no olive oil and balsamic vinegar to dip the bread in, so the bread was just dry toast.

When the mains arrived you could see why the grapevine had been waxing lyrically about Il Michelangelo. All four looked delicious. My lamb shank appeared far smaller than I expected, but you could see it was so tender that merely looking at it would cause it to fall off the bone. We all had our own dish of vegetables which were fresh but un-inspiring. Carrots, beans, broccoli and potato that all seemed to have been boiled or steamed are fine, but I’ve known other Italian restaurants serve vegetables in different styles, maybe sautéed potatoes or carrots with a honey glaze. I’d score my main 8/10 because of the size of my lamb shank, but I’m sure my wife and the other couple we were with would have scored at least 9/10.

Deserts were the usual Italian suspects; panna cotta, tiramisu, profiteroles, ice-cream etc. We all indulged and each enjoyed our desert. Perhaps 8/10 for deserts.

Service had been excellent throughout the evening even though the venue was obviously busy, but we did have to ask for our bill twice and it did take a little longer to arrive than expected. The bill was a pleasant surprise, costing £25-£30 per person for three courses, drinks and wine.

It was only as we were leaving that we saw the other part of the restaurant. It was twice as big as the part we were sitting in, making the whole restaurant huge. There must have been at least 100 people in. It may have been a little crowded but the atmosphere was buzzing. When paying the bill I also saw some bottles of Barolo on the bar. I hadn’t seen them on the wine list else I’m sure I would have chosen a bottle. Perhaps the king of Italian wines was there just as decoration to create the Italian feeling. And just as we were leaving the diner on the table behind us received his lamb shank that was twice the size of mine and more in keeping with what I had expected. Was mine the normal size and he had just got lucky, or was his the normal size and I had been unlucky?

I would say Il Michelangelo seems to fit a niche between a standard meal out and a top notch restaurant. If there are a group of you who want a night out with good food then Il Michelangelo is to be thoroughly recommended. Good food, good service, lively atmosphere. There are also mid-week and early-bird specials, so if you don’t fancy cooking one evening, there is now a very good alternative available. I will return and I will recommend Il Michelangelo to anyone looking for a good meal out that is a clear cut above the vast majority of pubs that serve food and chain restaurants, and also as an alternative to a curry. If you are looking for an absolute top notch venue for a special occasion or perhaps a quiet romantic meal, then maybe Il Michelangelo doesn’t quite hit the mark.

1  Thank Dave S