“Nice food but portions a bit stingy for the price”
Review of Topokki

Topokki
Ranked #56 of 2,339 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Korean
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed March 20, 2013

The food was overall good. I wouldn't say it's very authentic, but certainly has spicy Korean flavors.
We had a Bulgogi Bibimbap, a Kimchi stew with rice, and some dumplings. The bill came to around £22 (no drinks, just tap water). That's not a lot of money for dinner for two, but to me this place felt like a cheap and cheerful canteen-style eatery, and for the price I'd expect to walk out with a full stomach. But we weren't. The bulgogi bibimbap and kimchi stew both could do with more meat / tofu / kimchi, perhaps even more rice.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

My first taste of Korean cuisine was fascinating and intriguing. Even though I am familiar with Malay and Thai food the menu was like nothing I had seen before and negotiating it was highly entertaining for my daughter and I. Our waitress was on her first day, and I think it was her first day ever as a waitress, not just at this restaurant. What she lacked in aptitude she more than made up by being so sweet that we both fell in love with her. As she leaned down on the table to write down our order carefully on the ticket we couldn't help but notice and admire the exquisite Korean script she used.

The restaurant was airy and modern, clean and inviting. The open plan kitchen and counter gives it an informal college canteen kind of feel. Open all through the day and evening this eatery is convenient for late lunchers and pre-theatre munchers. It was late Sunday afternoon on St. Patrick's Day and we shared the restaurant with students and families with kids, most of whom were Korean. The toilets were clean and tidy.

Korean food is full of strong flavours and the restaurant was filled with the pungent odours of Korean spices. We both found the flavours a little bit too strong, but this is not a criticism of the restaurant, more a reflection of our conventional taste. The ingredients were top quality and very well cooked and presented, representing fantastic value for money. For friends and family with a sense of adventure this is the perfect place. Some of the tables had built in barbecues and the array of exotic non alcoholic drinks and vegetarian options add to the interest.

Finally, our lovely waitress wrote our names for us in Korean and presented them to us in a handwritten note hoping we enjoyed our visit, which we thoroughly did.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

I was very pleased to see that there was a Korean restaurant near my hotel, on a recent stay.

I visited on a Tuesday evening, and the place was over half full. Service was a little slow, but the quality of the food made up for the slight wait. I had the stir fried pork, with kimchi rice, and several side dishes. All very tasty, the only downside being a fatty first piece of pork- but all the other pieces were fine.

I'll definitely be returning.

Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

I took my husband here for lunch on a Saturday. The food was excellent, not only the quality and flavour, but great value for money. I would definitely recommend giving it a try -- we will be returning.

There weren't many people in so the atmosphere was very relaxed. The service was friendly and prompt too.

The menu is great as it explains (in English) what each dish is and gives details of ingredients, i.e. it doesn't just say "vegetables" but rather tells you which ones, which is good if you're not a fan of certain ones.

All in all, definitely worth the visit. Thanks!

Reviewed February 26, 2013

I could say that I'm more or less a regular customer at this place. The service is attentive and quick. The last time I visited was for my birthday last week, we had Topokki 떡볶이, Dolsot Bibimbap, Hot Spicy Squid Dupbap 오징어덮밥, Pickled Radish and Roasted Crispy Seaweed for sides. All the food was cooked to perfection. Honestly, I think it is the only restaurant I've visited where the food has never let me down. Its tasty and the portions are good too. I would avoid all these other mainstream restaurants around the City Centre. Once I've made this my favourite, all the rest seem not as good. This place is really worth trying, and paying for too. The total bill was around for us both was £25-27 in total but I would come back again and again. Bear in mind though, the menu on the Topokki website, and in the restaurant is a little different, so I'd go as it is, not much point pinpointing exactly what you'll have. They sometimes remove and add new things too. It would be nice if they updated the website to more recent, but I guess its a surprise? haha.

1  Thank maples123