“This hotel is poor and noisy”

The Royal Angus Hotel
Ranked #55 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Kilkenny
“This hotel is poor and noisy”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2009

Hotel is sited just off the major Birmingham ring road which was big enough to host the Grand Prix a few years ago, and to us it sounded at night as though it was still going on! The bedroom window did not close properly and the double glazing was too thin, the door to the bathroom/toilet would not close and there was a broken room heater, the so called double bed was like a single bed and the room, well you couldnt swing a cat! After using the hair dryer to try and blow some hot air about the room to try to warm ourselves eventually "room service" ( joke) brought up a stand alone heater which certainly made it bearable. The bathroom was old and tired and the hotel is sited in a concrete jungle with no amenities nearby at all. Take a taxi like we did and on both occcasions we were ripped off by the drivers who seemed to delight in touring around the ring roads explaining that you couldnt just drive directly anywhere so a £3 taxi to the centre cost nearly £10 etc etc I would never stay here again it is despartae enough said.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Thistle_CS, Customer Relations Manager at The Royal Angus Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2009
Thank you for your recent review. I would personally like to apologise to you for the inconvenience caused to you and that certain aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations. Feedback is important to us as we use it to further improve our services and standards. I was most disappointed to read upir comments about the sound proofing of your room and rooms service and please let me assure you that I am taking your points up with the relevant managers to ensure these issues are addressed. Once again thank you for your constructive feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2009

Double bed was VERY small, to the point where two pillows didn't fit next to each other on the bed. On check-out we were told it was a "small double", but looked more of a glorified single room to us, with only one bedside unit and light in the room. Constant hum of traffic wasn't ideal, but tolerable.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2009

Thank God I was only at Thistle Birmingham City for just the one night, it wasn't right for me at all. I arrived at night and got a taxi from Digbeth Coach Station... definitely not a journey to be done on foot. Also, the hotel isn't in the easiest location to find if you aren't familiar with the city. It's really out of the way and not in the city centre as I had hoped. My friend and I went out to find somewhere to get something to eat and couldnt find any shops/takeaways places anywhere nearby. In fact, it almost felt deserted! We then decided to go back to the hotel and order room service instead.

We got the shock of our lives when we looked at the menu and saw the prices. Something as simple as an egg and cress sandwich? £5.95! A tuna and onion sandwich? £6.45! Daylight robbery. On top of that... there was a £5 tray charge. They're having a laugh! So we decided to venture up to the bar (which, to be fair was gorgeous) to try and get something to eat without having to pay a 'tray charge'. I had a very tasty ham and tomato sarnie with crisps and coleslaw along with a cup of coffee but ooops, the barman actually FORGOT to bring me my coffee!!! Luckily, he was very apologetic and I didn't have to pay for my missing cup of coffee.

Our room (520) was very small but clean. Bed was comfortable so no complaints there. However, what I would complain about is the fact the room had no fridge (I had brought snacks along with me that needed to go in a fridge), also the shower was very weak and piddly. Quite disappointing really....

If I'm ever back in Birmingham again I'll be looking to stay at a hotel actually IN the city centre. Unfortunately the Thistle City Birmingham just wasn't right for me :-(

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
North Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2009

Stayed here recently while visiting friends in Birmingham, very impressed with Hotel from start to finish. Everyone was very friendly, efficent and everywhere was spotless, no reasons to complain at all. Would definatley recommend staying here if visiting the city.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
GMthistle, General Manager at The Royal Angus Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2009
Hi

Thanks for your recent feed back; all constructive feedback is shared with the team so this is greatly appreciated.

Please let us know if you are back in Birmingham visiting friends again and I am sure we can look after you at the right rate.

Moonlight75
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2009

Stayed for just the one night, room was clean, not a massive room but fine as I did not spend much time in there. As meantioned on other reviews, the half price breakfast is still being offered when checking in. I found that on decaf coffee in my room, but they were quick to deliver some normal coffee.

Also as the clocks went forward that night, they did allow me to stay in the room an extra hour, which was very handy as it was a late night in Broad Street.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
GMthistle, General Manager at The Royal Angus Hotel, responded to this review, March 31, 2009
Dear Sir

Great feedback!

Thanks for you time in reviewing the hotel and some of its services, your comments will be shared with the team.

Hope to see you again.

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2009

A colleague and I stayed in two "standard single" rooms on the fourth floor which were, as mentioned in other reviews, a tad on the small side, but perfectly adequate for a person staying alone in the room. Bed and mattress were really comfortable - which is the main thing in my book! We had rooms at the back which are really lovely and quiet (as they face the car park rather than the ring-road.) We got a discount from reception for using the NCP car park directly behind the hotel.

The only quibbles I have are that the water was only hot in the morning... it was lukewarm in the evening, which isn't the best for a long relaxing soak after a hard day! The restaurant, bar and breakfast area are quite a long way from the central lift area, and include a small flight of stairs (with an industrial sized wheelchair lift). Oh. and if you want a top-up of coffee at breakfast (which is served at the table), be prepared to get up and physically ask the staff, as they were not particularly attentive on either morning we stayed. Funny - they were hyper-efficient in getting my room number from me, but then we seemed to become invisible!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
GMthistle, General Manager at The Royal Angus Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2009
Hi

Many thanks for your feedback following your recent stay with us here at Thistle Birmingham City.

My sincere apologies for the shortfalls in service experienced during breakfast and for the problems with the hot water in the evening. All comments posted are shared with the team to ensure we improve the standard and offering.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2009

A group of 10 of us have just returned from a long weekend in Birmingham staying at the Thistle. The room was clean and nicely decorated, the staff were friendly and helpful, and the breakfast is superb!

The hotel is also situated in an excellent location, definately recommended!

Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
GMthistle, General Manager at The Royal Angus Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2009
Hi

Thank you for your postive feedback and for your recommendation. I have passed your comments onto the relevant departments.

We look forward to seeing you again here at Thistle Birmingham City