“All as hoped, all good”

The Royal Angus Hotel
Ranked #70 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed May 20, 2014

I've stayed at this hotel several times (including last night), but have never reviewed it as it's always for work, so have never thought to.
The rooms are spotless, bathrooms pristine and all staff I've ever met have been excellent - I can only remember the names of Sam, Melita and Eduardo, but the ladies on the front desk have also always been efficient and dealt effectively with any queries and unexpected turn of events.
Rooms have everything you'd expect (bizarrely, it was actually the cleanliness of the kettle that prompted me to write this - it looks brand new, but the PAT test stickers show that it's not), mattresses are quite firm - which I find very comfy.
Breakfast has the usual range of hot and cold options - nothing unexpected, but all done well, staff on the ball with coffee and tea.
The lunches we've had have all been buffets - again, plentiful, a good range and helpful and accommodating staff when someone doesn't eat a certain dish. I've eaten in the bar in the evening and all the dishes I've had have been good - veggi-burgers, noodles and fish and chips.
All in all, nothing out of the ordinary, but all is good and done well. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for business or if you were staying in Birmingham for leisure - short walk (5-10 min) to shops.
As some have mentioned, the location is in the city centre and as such is surrounded by roads and buildings... but you can't really complain about that!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Twiglet2

Reviewed May 6, 2014

I stayed for two nights at this hotel and found the service, food and facilities to be very good; my room was nicely furnished and comfortable. It is well located (just 10 minutes walk from Birmingham New Street Station and on the edge of the City Centre), but in a fairly unloved part of the City - overlooking a multi-storey car park on one side and a dual carriageway on the other. Noise can be an issue, if windows are left open....

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 30, 2014

I have to say that the service here was very good and everyone was very polite and helpful. That's really the only positive thing I can say.

My room had a view of a car park - the alternative is a wonderful vista of the dual carriageway. The room was small, very dated and probably great in 1986, and smelled like an old caravan with a dead body in it. Several of us stayed there and had the same issue with a bad smell. The bed was surprisingly comfortable but the safe was not fixed to anything, so I could have easily carried it around with me, which pretty much defeats the purpose.

The bathroom was clean but very, very dated and the shower is only any good if you are below a certain height as there is not enough ceiling clearance.

The location is not really that central - there are far more central hotels at a good price. You can stand on the terrace and gaze out onto the traffic if you want to, but it's a pretty miserable location. It does handily have an std clinic next door though...

The meeting rooms are internal and the only daylight came from some small frosted fan lights at one end. I did look for chains on the wall such was the dungeon feel.

There are no facilities as such here either or very nearby. I would not stay here again - it needs a serious refit. I never found the body.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Andrew R
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Slight confusion over room which was quickly resolved, food was excellent however restaurant was unbelievably hot! Staff very friendly and views over Birmingham especially from the bar terrace area were fantastic. Room was clean and tidy and beds very comfy. Breakfast was good for a hotel Buffett. Would recommend over a premier inn etc all day long. Free wi if a plus too.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank m3stevo
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Booked direct through the hotel and it cost us £59 for 2 bed and breakfast. Booking was easy enough. It mentioned an attached car park so I phoned to prebook a space. The reception on the 0845 number was not helpful or particularly polite and told me it was on a 1st come 1st served basis. Well we arrived shortly after 2pm on a Saturday and the car park was nearly empty with 100s if not 1000+ spaces. We got the not to park on level 6 as this is where the link bridge to the hotel is. The check in was smooth, informative and friendly. The room (305) was right next to the lift. It had been newly painted by the smell and was spotless and roomy with a comfy king-size bed with 6 pillows, 2 chairs, 2 bedside cupboards, free Wi-Fi, TV, kettle with tea coffee and biscuits, hairdryer, ironing board, iron (both in the triple wardrobe). The ensuite was a shower in the bath including toiletries. Even though we were above the Queensway you were unable to hear the busy a road.
We were attending a charity ball at the hotel and this was the reason for our stay.
We had reception drinks at the hotel bar the staff were all lovely and efficient. The area was comfortable with the balcony for smoking but it was a nice area to sit overlooking St Chads church.
Now this is this bit I wish I didn't have to put as for this I would rate as terrible and if you have any impending events, meetings, weddings or parties I strongly advise you to speak to the hotel manager and not the clown circus act who they put in charge on the night. Here we go...... our tables were given names. We were a table of 10 and was given the name of our table by the charity. there were maps displaying the names and this is where it goes to pot. The diagram shows separate tables but the catering manager decided to make long rows and put tables together. Our table was on the end in the doorway and a couple of inches away from a doorway. Its positioning a couple of inches also from the band left it impossible for disabled and wheelchair access and left us able bodied limboing between band equipment. It then turned out due to the catering managers poor table rearrangement an inability to count chairs or be bothered to pre-empt how many were being catered for, the person sitting either end of the table was left seat and tableless as these were now joined together omitting the seats and places. So the manager was running around like a headless chicken while we, and the chefs sat around, got shuffled down squashed even more together than we already were oh and they decided to put a chair in the small gangway so the limbo exit became a krypton factor exit (just needed a zipwire!)
Well eventually starters started to get served, not in any particular order and the waiting staff were just putting the starters haphazardly anywhere leaving some people without and staff aimlessly trying to spot an empty place which was hard as our table was filled with wine glasses which mostly stayed till the end of the night. My hubby was one of those who had to find one of the waiters as we were halfway through. At the same time I mentioned to the waiter I was a prebooked vegetarian main, as with all the seat relocations no one even attempted to confirm I had not moved. Well then was time for the main. A delicious looking dishes were brought out , same system as before. My place remained empty as I told around eight different staff who attempted to place the beef meal infront of me that I had a vegetarian meal ordered. When my friends were halfway through their meals I informed the catering manager it would be nice to eat with the people I had came to eat with and he clucked away informing me it wasn't his fault etc, Again when people were finishing I had to chase up my meal. Eventually as my friends were finishing their meal my meal was brought out..... COLD!!. The staff had all gathered at the back of the room and I could not get their attention so I had to walk with my plate humiliated and upset to get it warmed up. Well by the time it came I was offered wine (lots of people were getting wine and even champagne as I was not one on my own) I refused the wine as I do not drink it. Waiters were removing the plates of my friends as I sat to eat but by this time I was so upset and my appetite had diminished. It was only when my friend requested they not be so rude whilst I was eating that they stopped and they must have been put out as we were left with our dirty plates as long as they could only to be removed because of the lack of space to place the dessert.
Unsure if this was the managers first event, but I pray I never have to go to a meeting, event or function with him in charge again. The dancefloor consisted of squares which were not in place properly and heels got caught inbetween.
The rest of the night after the nightmare of getting the food (which was delicious when was received)
Breakfast on the otherhand was a totally different experience. Eduardo in charge of the restaurant was attentive, all the buffet was kept hot and replenished. The choice was varied and of good quality with a choice of both English and continental. Tables were cleaned and nothing was too much trouble.
I would definitely stay at this hotel again but I would definitely recommend holding an event here. It is a shame because the hotel has excellent facilities.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank sweetheartno2
Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

Booked this hotel last minute and got an amazing deal which included breakfast! All staff were friendly and extremely helpful and catered to all our needs. On our last day the breakfast room was very busy and staff were very apologetic. Room was clean, cosy and warm, we had a huge tv which was a bonus and all in all we had a wonderful break. Would like to thank the staff at Thistle Birmingham and I am sure we will be back soon.

1  Thank Surekha S
Reviewed April 17, 2014

We stayed on a sat nite since we were going to the theatre, when we got their to check in their was misunderstanding about how many rooms we had booked, since we only need 1 room, because we were a couple, and told it was the hotel fault that 2 rooms were booked, and it would be sorted out and only charged for one, which was a damper, but when we got into the room, it seem clean and pleasant, the bed was comfortable, and the bathroom was clean with plenty of hot water.lots to choose from for breakfast and very nice, tea or cofee served to u on the table. so i would stay their again but we just found out we have been charged for 2 rooms,which now will have to be sorted out, so this has spoilit for us, so watch out when you are booking, but hopely this is a one off mistake, but it good place to stay apart from this.

Room Tip: well we stayed on the 4th floor, facing the carpark, and it was very quiet.