“Not bad, good location!”

The Royal Angus Hotel
Ranked #70 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights, great location but hotel could really do with modernising/refurb. Rooms are a decent size and well equipped & the beds are pretty comfy. Radiator wasn't very effective, lucky it wasn't too cold during the stay!

TV's are a good size but the picture is terrible plus cant get most standard channels that most people expect but can get French and German! Wifi is painfully slow so glad that's free!

Good choice of food on the menu but the quality of it is a bit hit and miss. All staff are friendly and very helpful.

The reduced car parking is really good and there is a walk through straight from level 6 of the car park into the hotel.

Room Tip: Floors 5 & 6 have air con which seem to work better than the central heating.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed February 4, 2014

Stayed 2 nights for a business meeting. The hotel is dated but is currently undergoing a refurb. The room I occupied was noisy due to the close proximity of the dual carriageway. Windows were single glazed, in fairness I think this will be addressed (I hope) in the refurb. The bed linen was clean and the TV modern all that one really needs.
The food was very good and the service was also good. I had chips with my meal and would have liked some ketchup and maybe vinegar, however I am sure if I had asked it would have not been a problem.
Finally the parking was paid for by the company, and so all I needed to do was to have the ticket validated (clipped) by reception. I did this and off I trotted to my car and attempted to drive away. Unfortunately when I put my ticket into the machine it said I needed to pay. This was not a pleasant experience as I now had 5 people behind me looking rather irritated. I pressed the button and spoke to the guy in the office (NCP) who said I needed to validate the ticket at the machine, I wasn't told this by the reception. Luckily I spotted a very nice man (NCP) who came over and helped me to reverse and allow the by now very frustrated drivers behind to move. He eventually asked his colleagues to lift the barrier. So please hotel staff if you read this can you make sure the tickets are validated properly and if the tickets need validating again at the car park please pass the message on

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel on business. I spent one night here on 30th January on business. The room was on the 6th floor (617) and was functional and clean, not the biggest room I've had in this class. The staff were friendly and there is free wifi throughout the hotel. Unfortunately on the night I stayed the pumps were playing up in the bar so no draft beer was available. I had a curry from the restaurant which was very tasty at a reasonable price. Breakfast was fine which includes porridge. My only criticism was the poor selection of TV channels in the room.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I made a booking for 11 people, for a Stag party on a Saturday night.

The onsite NCP parking, made it reassuring for the safety of our party's vehicles.

The rooms are tastefully decorated, impeccably maintained, and offered all the amenities anyone could desire. The hotel bar offers a wide variety of drinks, and offers a simple, but delightful smorgasbord. There is a terrace area for smokers, who can enjoy a copacetic vista. The young lady in the bar was extremely patient, in ceding to our various requests.

I think what set this apart from other hotel stays, was the quality of service we experienced from both receptionists: Claudia and Agnieszka. They took a genuine interest in the reason for our stay, and offered many helpful suggestions, to enhance our experience in Birmingham. They both exhibited a wonderful combination of conviviality and professionalism, seldom experienced at hotels of its ilk. I would seek to stay here in any future visits to Birmingham. We enjoyed a flawless stay: I can't recommend this hotel highly enough.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tarun D
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Had a massive conference over a number of days here. Used all of their services and was very pleased. wont manetion any names as TOO MANY TOO MENTION! 3* Hotel with a 4* Service!

Will be returning and reccommending!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We have stayed here over the last number of weeks for over night stays while attending local hospital, yes it could do with an overall one of the rooms we stayed in was very cold overnight & we had cold breakfast. The bar & food prices are just far to high!!! More based around conference's with bar prices to match.
With a little one it is a walk to the centre & back to get something to eat. But the staff especially in the restaurant have been fantastic to our little girl, always very accommodating. So I would like to say a very big thank you to Melita, Maria & Eduardo it's lovely to see you in the mornings.
It is the staff that are lovely at this hotel it lags behind somewhat but I suppose for over nights it's not too bad.
Thank you again to the staff! Hotel 2 - 3* staff 4 - 5*

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 10, 2014

This hotel caters for large conferences, as no individual would choose to stay here a second time. I am depressed that no member of staff I encountered felt there was any need to exert themselves in any way to be memorable, or to lift a finger to make my experience of staying there any easier or enjoyable. It was akin to being a cog in a wheel on a conveyor belt, and receiving attention from a bored and sleepy factory worker. My mobility is obviously restricted but the receptionist gave me a room as far down a long corridor as it was possible to be, in a very tired room that wanted refurbishing several years ago. The evening meal in the restaurant is again a very long walk down a long corridor, and is to my mind, a wasted exertion for all the welcome, food quality or ambience experienced there. I hold this hotel up as a prime example of why the British have a dismal reputation as caterers and hoteliers.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple