“Central Location”

Ranked #55 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
London, United Kingdom
“Central Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

For our needs this hotel is very conveniently placed in a central location. Yes it is right on the ring road but if you book it you know where it is and can't complain about any traffic noise as it goes with the territory. Having said that noise is not really an issue anyway. The staff are friendly. Have only had breakfast here and it was good, buffet style all the usual traditional and continental offerings. Drinks are a bit pricey. Always had good rooms here, they are clean and mostly spacious in my experience. The walkway from the car park to the hotel is very convenient as you don't have to lug your bags down the steps, onto the street and round the corner. Once you are across the walkway just follow the very apparent signs to reception downstairs. Would recommend this hotel but not necessarily for drinks or food as it is pricey for what it is but I cannot comment on dinner as have not had it here, we always prefer to explore Birmingham for other options.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Epsom, London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed in this hotel many times but it has really gone downhill. To start off I was put in a twin room rather than the double room initially requested. I also was placed in a room overlooking the main road. This proceed to be very noisy at night tomes leading to a very poor level of sleep.

The door to the room also did not lock upon closing without a good tug and dispite closing the room securely in the mornings housekeeping did not ensure it was locked properly after doing their thing leaving my room able to be opened by simply pushing the door.

My third issue is with the resturaunt, on day 1 they asked if I wanted to charge the meal to my room and then an hour later I got a phone call from them asking me to go to reception and add a card to my account. I was in bed by this time. Why wasnt this checked before even letting me charge it? On the second night I ordered my food then had to wait for over an hour and a half until they came back to me to say they'd lost my ticket and to re-order. Nearly a 2 hour wait to get my dinner. Not acceptable. They offered me a free drink but that was not enough. I'm going back to my business and recommending they use a different hotel in the city as there are many!

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Devon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

Had to book this hotel when other, more central hotels, were full.

It's about a 15 min walk to the Bullring, so not ideally located if you want to be 'in amongst it'.

Friendly welcome at reception & receptionist was very helpful in directing me to where I needed to be that afternoon.

My room was on the small size & the wooden furniture pretty dated, but it was clean & I was only staying for one night.

Breakfast is taken in the restaurant on the 2nd floor and is buffet style.

Have to confess the hotel wouldn't be my first choice, but that would be mainly down to it's location. If you're looking for somewhere for just one night & aren't bothered about the walk into the centre it's an okay place to stay.

Room Tip: Get a room at the rear of the hotel for a quiet nights sleep.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for work and didn't have massively high expectations which turned out to be a good thing.

On arrival I parked in the adjoining NCP car park and walked across the bridge to the hotel. Rather bizarrely you come out into floor 2 and it isn't overly obvious you then need to get the left to the ground floor to check in. All rather dingy and outdated so far.

Friendly woman on check in and proceeded to my room. The rooms are small by any standard and in massive need of a make over. I would hazard a guess that the furniture is at least 20 years old, if not older and the bathrooms the same. All in serious need of a facelift. The rooms are also ridiculously hot but noise means you can't open the window so are stuck with it. No air con unit to be found. After a fitful sleep I had a shower and, after scaldingly hot water (which turned out to be the coolest option) I went to the breakfast buffet in the restaurant. The food had obviously been there a long time but was passable.

Returning to the hotel after a day at work my colleagues and I went to the restaurant for dinner. There is a buffer option or an a la carte menu. The service in this place is shocking at best. The staff start out well and show you to a table but then seem to forget you. Food takes an absolute age to arrive and then the quality is average. It isn't even like it is particularly busy to justify the wait. Most frustrating! The bar drinks are extortionate- £8.50 for a 250ml wine. Ouch.

If I have the choice I won't stay here again. The price makes it almost acceptable but a premier inn is on a par and more modern.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Travelling_Wide
Cirencester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

For the price we got a clean, comfortable room in a convenient location. It would have been nice to be able to open the windows but as we were on the front, the traffic was fairly noisy. However only to be expected with the location so I wouldn't mark it down for this

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank loopylou712
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

The hotel was clean, the staff friendly and the food excellent, however... the cark park is sort of attache to the hotel but there is no signage in the car park telling you where the reception is. As it was pouring with rain when I arrived and it was difficult to see anything, I ended up walking round the block to the entrance, as apposed to a minute or so if I'd gone the other way.... surely a sign wouldn't cost that much!

As it was a Friday night when I stayed there it was pretty quiet, this also resulted in me getting a full englist breakfast for £6.20 as opposed to the continental one for over £11 as advertised.

Would definitely stay here again, next time I'll know about the car park!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank mike s
england
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night, being impressed with the cost of 39 pounds. This is really good for Birmingham. The hotel is about a 10-15 minute walk from the train station. It is well worth taking a taxi, the area you have to walk through to get to this hotel is poor in the day time so wouldn't dream of walking to it on a night time.
I received an e mail from the hotel to check in on line and collect my key on arrival from guest relations. On arrival there was no guest relations and I spent several minutes waiting whilst reception logged onto their computer.
The room itself had everything. Tea, Coffee, iron and ironing board, great TV, great bed, and decent hair dryer. The bathroom is a little dated with wear and tear clearly visible and the shower tended to go from warm to boiling hot every few seconds but I was only here for one night so it was not a major issue.
Checked out Sunday. All staff seem to be on the phone. The chambermaid was texting someone when we left the floor and reception just looked at us telling the person on the end of the phone several times she had to go. Not great customer service. Maybe reception should also consider turning the music down in reception, it was very loud.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends