“Stayed last Saturday great hotel fantastic Breakfast and so cheap”

The Royal Angus Hotel
Ranked #69 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Stayed last saturday and found a gem. This is 2 mins walk from the city centre and the staff were really helpfull , switched rooms so we had a double ( twin was reserved ) and the room was large warm and beds were great . Breakfast was included and you can eat like a king on the buffet and they will cook omlets and other things from scratch . This has now become my go 2 place to stay in birmingham.

Room Tip: ask for a room at the rear of the hotel away from the main road
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 19, 2012

The good massively weighed out the bad when we visited this hotel very recently.

Excellent check-in, nice room, comfy bed, good evening meal, great service all round, and fab breakfast.

Only complaint was that the shower was luke-warm - and a number of friends in other rooms had the same issue.

Otherwise, would be rated 5 star for the price paid.

Less than 10 min drive from city centre and quite quiet on an evening.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 5, 2012

stayed here on the 22nd sept for 1 night.overall appearance very good.the room we stayed in was clean.there was no way of controlling the heatiing.the pillows were cheap and nasty and very uncomfortable.the window would not shut firmly and there were gaps in the insulating and because we were next to the main road we could here all the traffic noise.in the morning there was no hot water and we were told it was due to builders next door.

Room Tip: make sure u ask for a room in the centre of the hotel away from the road
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thistlehotels, General Manager at The Royal Angus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Dear Dean

Thank you for taking the time to offer a review on Trip Advisor.

I am really sorry to note your comments and would like an opportunity to speak direct with you. Could you please contact me through the hotel so we can discuss this further.

I can assure you that had you let us know that there was an issue with noise we would have moved your room and ensured you were more comfortable for the duration of your stay.

With regards to the heat and hot water, I can now confirm that the issue has now been resolved with a new boiler, controls and associated pipework that went live on the first week of November 2012.

On a positive note, our housekeeping Manager will be pleased to note that you have given the hotel 5 stars on cleanliness and I am pleased to see you gave us 4 stars on service.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Central hotel, very convenient for city centre although could have done with some directions to the hotel. Staff were efficient, friendly and helpful, particularly when we were concerned our neighbours may be noisy at night. The room was spotless, the bed was really comfortable but the bathroom was slightly small. Breakfast was lovely with plenty of choice of good quality food.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

What a great review! thank you very much for taking the time to offer your positive experience.

I am delighted to read your comments about our staff, the comfort of your bed and a great breakfast.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to Birmingham.

Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is not for me...it was booked by our travel team at work. I would not personally ever book it. Food was tasteless, hotel looked dated, tired and grim...bed was very uncomfortable could feel every spring in the mattress. Loads of noise through the night. View of an NCP was very depressing..surprisingly breakfast was actually ok. Glad to be home.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Stefan38

Dear Stefan

Thank you for taking the time to offer a review following your stay at the hotel.

I am disappointed to note your feedback and would like an opportunity to speak with you direct in a bid to renew your faith in our service.

Please contact me direct through the hotel so I can discuss your experience further.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

I had stayed at this hotel in December 2009, and I was told that the inadequate heating and hot water were caused by a breakdown in one of the boilers. When we stayed there in October 2012, the place was still cold, although standalone radiators were now provided, which made the room a little less cold but were no use in the public areas. The hotel and the meals are fine (although the breakfast items weren't hot), so if it weren't for the chilly enviroment I would have been happy.

Room Tip: Bring a hot water bottle and a hypothermia blanket.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Felccia

Thank you for your balanced review following your recent stay at the hotel.

Although I can't comment on your previous stay in 2009, I am delighted to inform you that after a period of internal refurbishment we are now live with a brand new boiler with a new heat and hot water system.

Thank you for your 4 stars on service, sleep quality and location it is very much appreciated.

Please contact me direct through the hotel should you return to Birmingham so I can personally ensure you have a great stay.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

after reading previous reviews thought i must add my own. myself and my husband stayed there for 1 night on the 12th oct .receptionist very helpful on check in ,gave us easy to follow directions to NIA which took about 20 mins slow walk , also 20 mins from broad street where there are many bars and lovely restaurants overlooking canal. room was clean and warm with additional electric heater if needed,bed one of the most comftable we have slept in ,alright view wasn't up to much but we didn't go to spend time looking out of the window .all in all enjoyable stay and would definatly go again if we want to stay in birmingham.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Wow, a fantastic and reassuring review to read. Thank you very much for taking the time to do this.

I am delighted that you had a great experience and really look forward to meeting you next time you return.

Thank you once again.