“Still cold after three years!”

The Royal Angus Hotel
Ranked #55 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
London, England
“Still cold after three years!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

I had stayed at this hotel in December 2009, and I was told that the inadequate heating and hot water were caused by a breakdown in one of the boilers. When we stayed there in October 2012, the place was still cold, although standalone radiators were now provided, which made the room a little less cold but were no use in the public areas. The hotel and the meals are fine (although the breakfast items weren't hot), so if it weren't for the chilly enviroment I would have been happy.

Room Tip: Bring a hot water bottle and a hypothermia blanket.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thistlehotels, General Manager at The Royal Angus Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear Felccia

Thank you for your balanced review following your recent stay at the hotel.

Although I can't comment on your previous stay in 2009, I am delighted to inform you that after a period of internal refurbishment we are now live with a brand new boiler with a new heat and hot water system.

Thank you for your 4 stars on service, sleep quality and location it is very much appreciated.

Please contact me direct through the hotel should you return to Birmingham so I can personally ensure you have a great stay.

Mark Kelly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
worcester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

after reading previous reviews thought i must add my own. myself and my husband stayed there for 1 night on the 12th oct .receptionist very helpful on check in ,gave us easy to follow directions to NIA which took about 20 mins slow walk , also 20 mins from broad street where there are many bars and lovely restaurants overlooking canal. room was clean and warm with additional electric heater if needed,bed one of the most comftable we have slept in ,alright view wasn't up to much but we didn't go to spend time looking out of the window .all in all enjoyable stay and would definatly go again if we want to stay in birmingham.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Wow, a fantastic and reassuring review to read. Thank you very much for taking the time to do this.

I am delighted that you had a great experience and really look forward to meeting you next time you return.

Thank you once again.

Rotherham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

Not the best location unless you like a good long walk to anywhere.

ALL Pubs are miles away,the nearest being down a very dodgy looking side road strewn with filth, rubbish and a good 15 minute walk.

The NIA is a good half an hour walk away and not 5 to 10 mins as advertised.

The nearest curry houses are the most expensive I have ever come across, and make the west end of London prices look like Aldi price.
As a couple you will not get any change out of £75 to £100 for a basic meal and a beer.

We stayed here for a couple of nights in September, but our room never had any hot water or heating what so ever.
We reported it on the first day, and were told someone was on the way to sort it, the next day still no one had been despite several phone calls and trips to reception. the room was very cold and we were unable to take a shower or wash. Staff were very unhelpful.
The beds were very hard and the pillows had no filling.
The iron leaked water all over the place,including the electrical socket and our evening clothes in the wardrobe and did not work if we tried to switch it on.
Again we were promised a replacement was on the way but again this never materialised resulting in us having to wear 2 day worn clothes to go out to a show.

The duty manager just didn't care and just didnt seem to want to be there.

All in all it was the worst hotel I have ever stayed at.
I would recommend anyone thinking of staying here to seriously look elsewhere, especially as the parking in the NCP car park is still stupidly priced at £22.00 per night, even after hotel discount.

Avoid like the plage unless you love being disapointed and ripped off.

To finish on a positive note, the staff at breakfast were nice and friendly. Breakfast its self was not too bad either to be honest, but not worth the £14 a head.

Room Tip: The best tip when choosing a room would be to choose one in a different hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay.

After reading your comments I would like to use this opportunity to offer you some direct feedback.

Firstly, thank you for your positive comments about breakfast and the team.

Our hotel is located just over a 10 minutes' walk from some of the most well-known and established Bars in Birmingham with a wide selection of ale bars being nearer.

Depending on pace all the main central areas of Birmingham are within a 10 minute walk.

A walk to the NIA takes you through the St Phillips Cathedral, Snow Hill and Colmore Row, which are recognised as being the more attractive part of Birmingham.

I am unsure to which Curry houses you refer to, however, there is a Michelin star restaurant within 5 minutes' walk and a selection of other restaurants which are described as being the best in Birmingham just located off Colmore Row.

We offer a 25% discount off the NCP car parking which is £16.50.

With regards to the hot water and your feedback about the Duty Manager, I would be keen to discuss this direct with you and establish what dates you stayed at the hotel.

We did have an issue during a boiler upgrade which has now been rectified with an installation of a new boiler and associated pipework.

I would really like an opportunity to renew your faith in the services provided by our hotel and would welcome a conversation with you to discuss your stay further.

Please contact me direct through the hotel so we can catch up.

Mark Kelly

Travelers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

North-West England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

Stayed here midweek with my wife. If it had been badged as a travelodge then I wouldn't have been impressed with the quality. Room 305 was noisy as on a main road and the windows did not close fully. The room was a bit odd and shabby. Hair dryer was rubbish. Tv was good. Breakfast was ok. Waiter at breakfast was good. I wouldn't stay here again. I wouldn't recommend to a friend.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Myjorca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is not much to look at from outside but I was really impressed from the moment I stepped in the door. Chap on reception was great, gentleman in the bar was professional and attentive.

Room is okay size, clean and has all the facilities and for a city centre £60 on a Wednesday is great value.

If I come to Birmingham again I'd stay here.

• Stayed October 2012
Newcastle under Lyme, null, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

we stayed at this hotel sat 20th oct my son was running birmingham half marathon, we booked 2 rooms together 2 months ago, and i rang on friday to say we would be arriving after 8.30pm cause working in the day. i was told this wasnt a problem as our rooms were booked and she'd make a note of this, when we arrived just after 8.30 we were told onle 2 rooms left on 2nd and 6th floors as they only allocate rooms on arrival no matter when booked, why were we not told this. we had 2nd floor room and my son had 6th floor room this was lucky cause we were by the lifts on the same floor as the bar and venue room, wher a wedding was taking place and children were running up and down corridor til end of wedding then every guest uses lift laughing and shouting as they have just had an evening of partying and drinking also traffic noise bad on this floof. so my advice is arrive early and request high floor

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Loughborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

Having spent most of the previous two weeks in various hotels I couldnt quite make up my mind about this place. The lounge/reception was OK but my room seemed very tired. 1980's decor, and nothing very comforting, in fact a pretty basic room. Radiator didnt work so a portable electric heater didnt really do the job or impress. Bed not particularly comfortable, and bathroom quite small. Unlike others although I was at the front of the hotel there was little or no noise from the main road. Location good in proximity to city centre but not quite so good in terms of the building work next door.

The service however was a complete contrast. Reception staff so welcoming, helpful & efficient. Restaurant staff just as good, and even the cleaning staff gave a cheerful "hello" and a chat. Clearly the manager has invested time as this wasnt just a one off individual ... it was everyone I engaged with who worked in the hotel.

Maybe the manager cant do anything about the building but he has certainly inspired a fabulous service culture and for that I say "thank you" to all the staff.

Would I use again ... not sure !!

Room Tip: If at front of hotel then ask for a room on floor 3 or above to avoid the noise of traffic
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business