“Nice Friendly Helpful Staff, Good City Location, Poor Bed and Slightly Noisy” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Royal Angus Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Royal Angus Hotel
Ranked #52 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Gillingham, United Kingdom
“Nice Friendly Helpful Staff, Good City Location, Poor Bed and Slightly Noisy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

I stayed here for one night on business. I found the staff very friendly, cheerful, polite and helpful. The room was clean and was well equipped, however, as I find in many hotels, the bed mattress was very hard and uncomfortable which led to a poor nights sleep. There is also traffic noise from around 6am.
I had dinner in the restaurant, the menu was not extensive but the meal I had (chicken tikka massala) was very tasty and satisfying. Although I only had a light breakfast, the choice on the self service buffet looked good. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who needed a stay at a well situated central Birmingham location.
Be advised that parking in the recommended adjoining NCP car park is very expensive even with a hotel reduction.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thistlehotels, General Manager at The Royal Angus Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Pompey

I am delighted to read your recommendation for guests coming to Birmingham to stay with us

With regards to your matters we do have a selection of rooms with a softer bed so please do let us know next time you book and we can ensure you get your preference

Depending on when you stayed we did offer a reduced summer menu alongside our market menu and I am glad you enjoyed your meal

Thank you also for your kind comments about our breakfast, we are proud of our wide selection of hot and cold items and have once again started providing fresh porridge for the Autumn months

With regards to the car parking charge we do offer a 25% discount on the NCP prices and are linked by a foot bridge to our 2nd floor for ease of access

Mark Kelly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Much Wenlock, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

Stayed here for 1 night with my girlfriend after finding on Late Rooms. Checked in swiftly and directed to our room. Room was an average size facing the main road, which we found to be pretty quiet considering the volume of traffic. Average facilities and slept well. Good location within walking distance of NIA, Bullring etc. I would recommend this hotel for a short stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Colin

Thank you for your good review, I am glad you had a good stay with us

Thank you also for your recommendation on location, we are indeed 10 minutes from the central area of the city.

With regards to your booking, I would encourage you to check our own website direct as you will always get a better rate.

East Sussex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

This must be the most average hotel ever. There is nothing about the hotel that any reasonable guest could object to, and nothing they could get excited about either. It is just "some" hotel.

The staff are very pleasant - and smile more than is normal for people in Birmingham.

The location is close to - but not in the centre of Birmingham - an average walk to most of the main attractions.

Rooms are OK for average sized people.

It is just the most average place I have ever stayed.

Room Tip: If your room does not have air con - then try to book when the temperature is average.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for taking the time to offer feedback following your stay at the Thistle Birmingham City

I find your feedback very interesting and has emphasised to me the importance of a branded hotel "wowing" our guests during their stay

We spend a lot of time and energy ensuring we are consistently providing a good standard of service, and although you don’t disagree with this I would suggest that we have not "wowed" you on this occasion and therefore you have an average perception of us

I have already used your feedback as a platform to start a daily "better than average" offer and the feedback has so far been positive

With regards to our location, we are about 10 minutes' walk from the centre area, New Street Station and the Bullring Shopping centre and just across the road from Snow Hill train Station

I would like to have an opportunity to speak to you more about your stay and ask that you contact me direct through the hotel

Thank you once again for your feedback

Enniskillen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

Having stayed at the Birmingham Thistle Hotel for almost 2 weeks I think I can give a fairly good review of the place.

I must say when I found out I was staying at the Thistle and checked it out here on TripAdvisor I was a bit worried. There is more then a few bad reviews about the place mostly relating to noise and poor management. Therefore in advance to my stay I rang ahead and requested a quiet room and was offered a room towards the back of the hotel. The result of this was I had very little / or no problems with noise. There is a loud fan or generator that runs at the back of the hotel and can be loud but my room wasn't near it. For those facing to the front or side of the hotel I can understand how there could be problems. The front faces onto a main busy road that even at night there is traffic. To one side of the hotel is builders and at early morning the building work starts.

Moving on throughout my stay I found the staff to be very helpful and friendly. Some nice people working there and they do the job well. I actually had a good chat one evening with a lady on reception, this kind of interaction is good with customers and makes you feel at home. Also in the restaurant all the staff were great can't complain about any, Edward every morning welcomed me and always made sure to have a short chat. Another girl who's name I don't know made me feel very welcome on my first evening, when seeing me sitting alone she came over and had a chat about my day and what I had been doing. Again a nice touch and left me with a good impression of the place.

In terms of the food in the hotel it was good, enjoyed it each time I ate there. However I think its a bit on the expensive side. One evening I was disappointed with the size of the serving which wasn't very much meaning I left that evening not feeling full. For the amount I was paying for the meal I expected more. Overall though the food was good and apart from that one evening it was fine.

During my stay I was in two different rooms, both were your average hotel room included a TV, bathroom, standard size can't complain.
Location of the hotel is good, 5/10min walk from the City Centre. Found it easy to walk in each night and have a look around. Has a large car-park at the back and sits alongside a main road that can get you in/out of the city easily.

Overall I rate the hotel very good, small things to improve on but I think the big let-down (not so much for me but for others) is the fact the hotel sits on a main road. If your room happens to face onto it then I can imagine it being loud and noisy, almost impossible for you to leave your window open at night. Nothing the hotel can do about this though and therefore I'd advise they give costumers all the rooms towards the back first before filling the front.

Room Tip: Towards the back of the hotel
Hampsire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

It was my first time in this hotel and I can honestly say it was by far the best place I have stayed in! Over the last couple of years I have had courses to attend (in Birmimngham) and have stayed in hotels closer to the training school. This was a little further to walk, but well worth it. All the satff were very nice and always pleasant, from reception, chamber maids (sorry if that's not the correct title), waiting staff and those behind the bar. Each and everyone of them were so friendly and you really felt looked after.
The food was excellent and a wide choice to choose from. All very nicely presented and they were flexible enough to change/add things to suit you. Nothing was too much trouble!
My room was very clean and everything on hand. Very comfortable bed and nice quality bedding. All crisp and clean. Slept like a baby!!
Although there were no coffee/tea making facilities in the room, there was in reception and a really good cup of coffee too!
I was surprised at how quiet it was. I have spent quite a few sleepless nights in other places, with traffic noise or noisy passers by, but there was nothing at all! The only noise I did hear was the clinking of a delivery van around 7.30a.m so another reason why I will definately be staying there again!!
Brilliant hotel, can't recommend it enough.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

I have recently stayed at the thistle hotel while visiting a relative in the nearby children's hospital. I have nothing but good things to say about the staff and the treatment we received.it was a very difficult time for us and the staff went above and beyond to make us feel welcome and comfortable.so a big thank you to everyone from reception through to duty management

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Shellmw84
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

The hotel is a basic hotel, with restaurent providing breakfast and lunch (at an added charge). Reception are pleasant although if you were being critical service could be more personable (nothing out the unordinary though).

On a busy road so if you cant sleep with car noise its the wrong place for you..although there are probably few city center hotels that dont have some sort of noise through out the night. Room was furnished well although the bed sheets seemed worn and curtains are past best, otherwise it was a comfortable nights sleep. Bathroom is a good standard, with adequate shower pressure, and toileteris were provided (no conditioner though).

Parking is an issue although you can utilise free on road parking after 8pm behind the hotel as long as you wake up before 8am to move your car.

Priced at aprox 65 pounds it is slightly over priced for service and decor standard but it is probablyy due in part to the location.

Although some negative points it is probably still on par with similar style hotels.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo