“Overpriced”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #30 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Lovely building, service excellent but food very ordinary. Menu promises but doesn't deliver on quality of cooking. I love straightforward cooking but this just wasn't up to scratch. Always grates having to pay extra for side dishes too.

• Stayed: August 2013
HdVMgr, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2013

Dear Sue

Thank you for choosing to dine in our Bistro and for sharing your comments with our Trip Advisor community.

It is great to hear that you like the building and felt that our service excelled but such a shame to hear that you did not enjoy your dinner and felt it was overpriced.

It would be a great help to learn more about your dining experience and I would invite you to contact me to discuss the matter further. I can be reached on this email address: tony.elvin@hotelduvin.com

We strive to deliver fantastic, fresh cooked, Anglo-French cuisine and this has helped us earn our two AA Rosettes.

Value is also incredibly important to us and we have a number of great value ways to dine:
Al Fresco Menu offering 3 courses and half a bottle of wine for just £25
Our decadent 4 course feast of a Sunday Brunch which includes a visit to our famous French Market table featuring Crustacea, Anti Pasti, Fresh Salads, Artisan Breads and cured meats, followed by a traditional Roast, Steak Frites, fresh fish and more for just £22.95 per head.
Our Stardeal is also worth taking a look at online for 3 courses with a glass of Prosecco for just £23.50.
September 16th sees the return of our popular Pre Fixe menu with similar pricing to our current Al Fresco menu but with a changing daily selection of Specials from our Chef Mark Nind.

I sincerely hope we are able to speak so that I can find out exactly where we went wrong but also hope that you will give us another try in the future so that you can see why we are such a popular dining destination.

Kindest regards and thank you once again, Tony

Write a ReviewReviews (1,631)

Reviewed August 27, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights on business recently and was thoroughly impressed with the hotel and its staff. The building is a former Eye Hospital with vast ceilings and original stone spiral staircases. My room (Krug) was enormous with a huge bathroom containing a roll top bath and a walk in monsoon shower. The staff on reception were extremely helpful, arranging for boxes of work files to be delivered before my arrival, printing off documents during my stay, ordering taxis and recommending local restaurants. The breakfast was also fantastic - a wide range of continental goodies at the buffet and a good selection of cooked breakfasts. The only drawback of my stay was the noise of the construction next door which went on throughout the night. When I asked if there was any chance of moving to a quieter room at the front, I was told I would have to pay for an upgrade or move to a much smaller room. I opted to buy some earplugs but light sleepers should ask for a room at the front. I would definitely return. The hotel is brilliantly located in the centre of town within walking distance to all of the shops and restaurants.

Room Tip: Krug is an enormous room with a great roll top bath and monsoon shower but it was noisy due to const...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Legallyblonde81
HdVMgr, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Dear LegallyBlonde81

Thank you so much for your fantastic review. It sounds like you had a very enjoyable stay and with great service from my colleagues. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with the Tripadvisor community.

I couldn't help but notice that your sleep was disturbed however, by construction work taking place at night. There should be no such works taking place in the area without prior notice to the hotel and I have taken this up with the local council. I can assure you that this is not a regular occurrence and you should not be worried that this might affect future stays.

Thanks once again for the review, we'll see if we can get you up to 5 stars next time!

Best regards, Tony and team

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Another stay here, luxury - although we hadn't booked a de luxe room this time! Experienced excellent service, even when breakfast was a long wait, the maitre de was very attentive and made sure we were well looked after on the second morning. Above and beyond. However, we did experience the worst of service when we arrived and my daughter was referred to as "she" by a shirty receptionist. Overall another wonderful stay in a beautiful environment. Shall visit again.

Room Tip: I would search out another car park before going again as the valet parking is £20.00 per day. There...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Wooxi

Dear Wooxi

Thank you for taking the time to leave your positive review about Hotel du Vin.

I am delighted to hear about the service you received in our Bistro and of your enjoyment overall. However, I am of course, disappointed to hear about your experience at the reception desk. I would love the opportunity to follow this up and would really appreciate it if you could email me with your details so that I can identify who checked you in or even just to let me know what day you checked in and at what time.

The point of arrival can often make or break a short stay and I would really like to be able to pick this up with the colleague who made this error to prevent such problems recurring. My email address is tony.elvin@hotelduvin.com

Finally, regarding the car park. You raise a good point and there are a few options locally.

Parking metres are available all around the hotel and there is no charge after 7.30pm, this is a good option if you are arriving later and leaving early as many of our business guests do. However, you will need to go and feed the metre at 7am when the parking bays are chargeable the next morning.

Snow Hill Multi Story Car Park - this is £10.80 per 24 hours and is the most cost effective, just a short walk from the hotel (one block). The car park is accessible between 6am and 10pm Monday to Saturday and 8am to 9pm Sundays.

Valet Parking - this is £20 and best for convenience and security. Just leave us with your keys on arrival and we will park your prized car in a secured, guarded area within the Snow Hill Car Park. Your car can be accessed by us 24 hours a day so if you realise you have left something in the boot or glove box, we can collect it for you at anytime, even if the main car park is locked up.

Thank you once again for your review. I do hope you are able to supply me with a little more info. We look forward to welcoming you back for another enjoyable stay.

Kindest regards, Tony

Reviewed August 27, 2013

I have just returned from celebrating my wife's 40th birthday at Hotel du vin Birmingham with 14 of our friends. From booking all the rooms, organising the private dining and making sure that flowers and champagne were waiting in the room on arrival the service has been first class. We have been incredibly well looked after from the waiting staff to the bar staff. everyone we have dealt with have been polite and professional. The rooms themselves have all been very well appointed, comfortable and spotlessly clean. The food has also been enjoyed by our entire party with no complaints at all.
I would not hesitate to use Hotel du vin again either in Birmingham or anywhere else for that matter.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank thewhite1812

Thank you for your wonderful review and for choosing Hotel du Vin for such important celebrations.

It is fantastic to hear that the event ran so smoothly and that you were so well looked after by my team.

I very much hope we will have the opportunity to look after you again.

Many thanks, Tony and the team

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Afternoon tea and champagne with my friend was amazing, little sandwiches, tiny cakes and all excellent quality. The service was sublime in such lovely surroundings, the young waiters, Sam and Ben were attentive, polite and extremely helpful. What a treat, visit for your self and experience tea at HDV!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lynne2908

Dear Lynne

Thank you so much for your fantastic review, I know Ben and Sam were over the moon to read your positive comments and Ben was especially pleased to be referred to as "young".

We look forward to welcoming you both back again very soon.

Many thanks once again, Tony

Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Third visit to the hotel and bistro, and third time to be really impressed.
Check in quick and efficient if not hugely effusive.
Our room was great- on the small side but well appointed and comfortable. Massive bed, lovely linens, nice toiletries. Too hot though!
Dinner was gorgeous, as ever and the service very good. You never feel rushed or compelled to be quiet.
Public areas are lovely and feel sumptuous.
Overall, a great place to stay that I would highly recommend.

1  Thank Christabelle04
HdVMgr, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

"Christabelle04" - We love you too!! (Especially as you are such a regular now)

Thanks for the great review and for choosing to stay at Hotel du Vin Birmingham.

I notice that you felt that your room was too hot, it would be great to know which room you stayed in so that I can check out the air conditioning to make sure it is working properly. I can be reached at tony.elvin@hotelduvin.com

We look forward to welcoming you back from Liverpool for a 4th visit very soon.

Best regards, Tony and the team

Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Exceedingly great food and service in the bistro, better value then most people would expect!
Check in is swift as usual and usually options to upgrade at good rates!
However this time due to not being in the hotel much we are in a standard double which is more then ample
Big room, all amenities

Will be staying here again..!

3  Thank looboo500

Dear "looboo500"

It is always great to hear from a returning guest and it is brilliant to know that you feel compelled to leave another 5 star review. Thank you so much, it means a lot to my team and I who really care about the feedback we receive from our guests.

We very much look forward to delivering you another 5 star experience next time. Why not ask for me at reception? It would be great to say hello.

Best regards from Tony and the team