“Hotel nice, but decor tired and needs an urgent redecoration!”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #35 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Lovely staff and atmosphere to this place, but sadly the decor is very tired and it was very disappointing to find ugly brown stains on the bedroom ceiling and mouldy bathroom tiles. However, the room had a huge bed, loads of space, fantastic shower (bathroom enormous). Had lunch Saturday in the Pub du Vin downstairs, very cosy little place with nice bar food menu at reasonable prices. Breakfast on Sunday morning lovely. Quick and polite service, and great full cooked breakfast, freshly squeezed OJ, endless rounds of toast, fruit, croissants etc. Enjoyed our stay, but they really, really need to redecorate! There are other hotels in Birmingham offering better quality rooms for the same money.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,673)

Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

Our trip to the hotel was simply on impulse to be honest, one of my best yet! I started off in the spa, which was very friendly and a calm environment. I was given a fresh robe & slippers and shown to the ladies changing area, clean to a satisfactory level I'd say. I was asked to change and wait for my therapist in what looked to be a lovely relaxing room however my therapist was ready before me so off we went to the treatment room. Again, lovely. I had a neck and back massage that was so therapeutic it sent me to sleep, after this is was walked back to the changing room and shown where the steam room was. Due to plans I had to get changed and dash.

Now for the room, beautiful. Even the bathroom was spacious, a quote from my partner "I feel like I'm peeing in a field" sorry if TMI! It was literally that big, the bath was a gorgeous roll top bath, ever so deep. I've never had such a relaxing soak. The walk in shower was also incredible.

We actually went out for a meal, but on our way back popped in to the bar. We were welcomed with big smiles from the bar staff, we had a few cocktails before asking the waitress if she wouldn't mind making one I'd come across before but isn't generally seen in bars/pubs etc, she was more than happy to and in fact it was the best one yet!

Overall our stay was wonderful, staff were friendly and helpful, and the overall cleanliness is was what one would expect for the price paid. Although saying that, we did book via trivago so the bill was just the cherry on top of a beautiful cake.

Well done to the staff at Hotel Du Vin, and thank you

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed March 4, 2013

The hotel is in a great location and is well presented throughout. The room we stayed in (Bollinger) was fantastic, huge, lovely bed and the bathroom is superb (best shower ever). The bar downstairs is very nice although a little small. We ate at the restaurant for both dinner and breakfast, which was included in the rate. Both were very disappointing, we sent the breakfast back as the poached eggs were raw. To sum up great hotel shame about the food.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Rooms tired and bathroom full of black mould Cracked tiles and stained bath panel. Staff were pleasant but breakfast service very slow despite a small army of staff. Really disappointing for the£115 I paid

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This relates to the spa situated underneith the hotel. I couldn't find an entry for the spa so assume this is the place to review.
Very very noisy from dining room above, no nice music playing as you would normally expect. Very indelicately handled by the therapist given the nature of the treatment, she didn't wear gloves (an essential) didn't take a hint to put them on and had a thing about tapping (hard) and pressing down on you. Not apprpriate for the type of treatment in question. So wanted to like it but won't be going back as I cannot get over being handled in such a rough, indelicate and unhygienic manner. Expensive dissapointment :-(

Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 2, 2013

The hotel is unique to stay in (so often for business trips all chain hotels look the same), and I had a nice large room, with a rather unusual flight of stairs to get down to my bathroom. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom facilities were good quality (nice shower).

Breakfast was included in my rate. Normally hotel breakfasts don't excite me however this was excellent. I was in a rush and didn't order cooked, but the yoghurt, fruit and cereal options were great with quality and french brands, rather than the standard fayre.

The rate was the same as the option for the local travelodge and therefore I was delighted to stay in the Hotel du Vin instead - worth a look at the price here before you book elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 25, 2013

There were eight of us for dinner the food arived in very good order the service was superb as was the food, every one that was in our party enjoyed the food and the wine the waiter was both attentive but subt'le I would dine there again tomorow if in the area we had a great time I fully recomend it.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends