“Great hotel, would stay again”

ibis Styles Birmingham Centre
Ranked #31 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Derbyshire
“Great hotel, would stay again”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Bought this hotel on a KGB deal to enter Cadbury World too. Great value – family of 4. Nice early check in and were at the end of a corridor so had no noise at all.
Lovely hotel, great staff, good breakfast. Only a couple of grumbles: 1. had to pay £25 on arrival for “extras” that we may take during our stay (refunded on departure). 2. Bar didn’t open until 5pm – and then this was only a few bottles in a fridge that were behind the Reception desk!!!! However, there's a pub next door and many eateries around, so we enjoyed it. Would stay again – in a good central area of Birmingham.

Room Tip: Room on quiet side of hotel at the end of a corridor
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
CBarratt, General Manager at ibis Styles Birmingham Centre, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you you for your fantastic review of your stay at the Lionel Street Hotel. I will be happy to share your review of your stay and I am sure they will also be delighted with your feedback.

I appreciate your feedback regarding the bar offering, and I will ensure that this is looked into and ways to improve this are considered.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Carla Barratt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Polish first
Farnborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I'm sure that when I booked it a few weeks earlier it was still called the Holiday Inn Express but when we arrived there were "Lionel Street Hotel" stickers and banners everywhere. Apparently, the hotel is switching brands and becoming part of the Ibis chain but there was a delay in signing contracts so they had to pick an interim working title. Whatever, this hotel proves you can do budget and still offer decent quality. Yes, our 5th floor room was compact with limited space to hang/store clothes but all the fittings were in a good state of repair and everything worked well. The bed was really comfy, helped by a generously-padded mattress protector. Inside the cleverly-designed bathroom everything was spotless and in good working order. I loved the dual-function door which could be used to close off just the WC cubicle, leaving the rest of the bathroom free for use by others (assuming always your companion can put up with any trumping noises).

Any cost-cutting was more apparent at breakfast with a small buffet area that was prone to crowding. There were cereals, yoghurts, and warm pastries; my wife even found some snack portions of cheese which my hungry eyes had missed. The only hot items were sausages, scrambled eggs, and baked beans. These were served from small dishes so the staff were busy replenishing them. People used to bigger spreads might moan, but after a bowl of cereal, a plate of sausages/eggs/beans with toast, and a couple of warm chocolate pastries, washed down with plenty of coffee from the machine, I was full, so no complaints there either. My gluten-free wife gave the sausages a miss and instead topped up with a yoghurt and the afore-mentioned cheese.

Considering what we paid we both felt this was a good hotel and was good value for money. I hope the changeover to Ibis doesn't spoil things as this is a hotel we'd definitely want to return to on our frequent city breaks to Birmingham.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John K
CBarratt, General Manager at ibis Styles Birmingham Centre, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

What a review! Thank you!

We are so pleased that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and found time to write such a detailed review for future customers to read and get a feel for what we do.

As you correctly stated we will be an Ibis Styles hotel in a few weeks, and things can only get better. We will have a refurbished hotel, a fantastic loyalty club and a world famous brand. The only other change we are making is to offer a better breakfast experience! Check back for updates!

We hope that you come and stay with us again very soon and experience this fantastic brand!

Sleaford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2013

My fiance and I stayed different weekends for our hen/stag do's with groups of friends and couldn't fault the hotel at all. Beds were extremely comfortable and everything needed was in the room including towels, hairdryers, tea/coffee making facilities. All bathrooms had showers with great pressure and were spotless. The twin rooms were a great size with more than enough room for two people and all their stuff. As we all did 2 separate activities and had 2 changes of clothes on top we hardly traveled light!

Even better was the location which was a very easy 10 minute walk from mainline train stations and a short stroll to Broad Street. Some parked and found the facilities good value compared to other local parking and had no problems at all.

There was more than enough room to just lounge around downstairs, the bar menu was delicious and the breakfast times ran right through until 11.30am, perfect for the morning after the night before. Yes it was limited.....hot food was only sausages, scrambled egg and baked beans but there was unlimited toasts, cereals, crossaints, fruit juice, hot drinks and even muffins so everyone could find something they were happy with.

We would definately use this hotel again for another night out in the area and the staff couldnt be more helpful. The only reason it is not a 5 rating is the very odd pillows which are like huge marshmallows with no support at all, look lovely but not very comfy unfortunately.

Top tip: Do Not put room key anywhere near your mobile phone as they wipe very easily, one of ours did twice in a handbag next to a phone....lesson learned

Room Tip: We had various rooms throughout the hotel, all had same facilities and no road noise and none had an...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review of your recent stay at the Lionel Street Hotel. I am pleased you had an enjoyable stay with us.

We hope that you come and stay with us very soon and experience us as an Ibis Styles Hotel in September.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

I came here for my business trip. Check in was easy, and the receptionist is friendly. Went to my room, which was on the 5th floor, was clean and practical. The morning breakfast was the only issue that put this hotel down. it was not only cheap products been used, but also there wasn't any choice. So I might stay here next time, but will have my breakfast outside.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of your stay at Lionel Street Hotel.

I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that the hotel met your needs.

I am sorry that breakfast did not meet your expectations, however I am working on changing this offering and I hope that should you come back and stay with us again soon, that you will enjoy the new offering.

Don't forget in September the hotel will become the Ibis Styles Birmingham Centre!

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I stayed for 1 night on a half-price deal, which included breakfast. For £35 a night this was excellent - close to the city centre nightlife but in a quiet location. Car park is difficult to find, it's accessed via the Mitchells and Butlers building in Fleet Street but there are no signs - look for the cream arch into an underground car park. The hotel is in the process of changing from a Holiday Inn Express to an Ibis Design, which just means each floor has a different colour scheme and that there are renovations going on during the day - I suggest asking for green on the top (6th) floor. The rooms are well equipped and comfortable but basic, a bit between a Travelodge and a Premier Inn. No way would I pay £70 but for £35 it was good value. The breakfast was billed as 'contintental' so the addition of sausages, beans and scrambled egg was a bonus,
The staff were all very friendly and helpful, and the hotel was very clean. I would suggest considering it, but see what other deals are available in a similar location.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room at the rear - still good views of the city but very quiet
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Lionel Street Hotel.

Its a pleasure to read that you had a great stay with us and enjoyed a special offer rate that we had in place recently.

As you mentioned the hotel is undergoing a refurbishment, and in September will see the hotel become an Ibis Styles. We hope that you enjoyed the changes that you witnessed during your stay with us.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the signage to the car park, we will look at improve the signage.

Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Pleasant stay - breakfast diabolical, very stale. However I have most issue with the car parking. There is no information when booking about the charges so it was only after I had driven into the hotel car park that the sign was stating £12 per 24 hours. Asked to find alternative parking when checking in but was advised that the receptionist would speak to the Manager, I naively believed that this may result in a discount....... I was wrong and the Manager would not budge on the charges. But I was only advised of this the following day, I feel this was very unhelpful when there is a car park one street away which is half the price. I personally wouldn't stay at this hotel again!!!!! Finally the pillows are the most uncomfortable I've ever experienced.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Aedansmumma
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Lionel Street Hotel.

I am glad to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us, but disappointed to hear that you would not stay with us again due to car parking charges at the hotel. Information regarding the car park being chargeable in detailed on all booking sites, if you could advise which site you booked via, we would be happy to review the information that site is displaying. We do review our prices against our competitors regularly and have found that we offer a competitive rate.

Thank you also for your feedback regarding breakfast, I can assure you that all goods are cooked on the morning that the breakfast is served, but I will pass your feedback onto the team.

I really hope that you will allow us to restore your faith in the hotel in the future.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

In all fairness this was booked last minute as part of package deal so I can't complain much.

The reception staff are friendly and courteous, the rooms themselves are clean and well kept but fairly minimal in terms of extra amenities such as a safe, minibar, bath (shower only).

All in all its a nice little hotel for a small package deal but not what I would call a luxury city break. For £30 a night yep it's fine but not when your getting towards £80 a night - you can find much better deals .

The only thing I would say was a huge disappointment was the £12 a day car parking fee for the hotel and a very poor breakfast. The croissants were stale, pain au chocolates soggy, bread for toast was cheap (weird one to explain).

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I am glad that you found the hotel and staff to meet your needs. With regards to car parking, we constantly review our prices against other hotels in the City Centre, and as one of the few hotels to offer a private, secure car park in the heart of the City Centre, the cost is competitive.

Thank you for your feedback regarding breakfast, we are currently in the process of changing this offering and hope that should you return to the hotel, you will be much happier with this complimentary offering.