“Stayed here before - and would do so again”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Ranked #51 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed August 22, 2010

Firstly, let's understand this is a typical modern conference centre/airport hotel on the site of the National Exhibition Centre. It does most things quite well, and despite the odd hiccup on this, our fourth visit, we would stay there again either for airport stays, or visiting family in and around Birmingham.

It's usually quiet at weekends and holiday periods, and this is when travellers like us can get best value. Some building works were in progress this time, and it did impact to a degree, but the place was almost empty. Disappointingly, there was no hot breakfast buffet when we arrived an hour before they were supposed to finish serving on the Sunday. I accept with a handful of guests this is an overhead they could do without, but at £18 odd for breakfast it should be available.

Otherwise, reception, room and bar staff and pleasant and efficient. Rooms OK, and hotel facilities available for those who want them. However wi-fi is not available in rooms, and a ridiculous overcharge for broadband in this day and age is unaccepteble.

Car parking is confusing, as it appears on entry that you will be charged. However, the guide in the rooms clearly explains that parking is free for hotel guests and we were not charged during our 2 night stay.

Yes, they can do better, but at a bargain price this is an excellent place to stay. Whether I would pay the advertised rate is debatable, but weekend rates are good. Overall quite a good place to stay, and maybe one of the best in its class and area.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed August 10, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for one night during a business trip. Its location relatively near the Birmingham Business Park was the only reason for choosing this property. This hotel was absolutely in line with my expectations: the rooms were pleasant and clean, mattress quality fine and the breakfast very good.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 1, 2010

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza for one night to break up a journey, check in was quick and the staff were polite and helpful. Our room was lovely and clean, the bed was also very comfy. We ate in the bar area, which was simple bar food but served quickly, hot and tasty. Staff at all time were helpful. We cannot comment on the breakfast as we only booked room only, but if we stay again which is likely seeing the proximity to the NEC we will take breakfast instead of enduring the farce at a Little Chef!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paula A
Reviewed July 26, 2010

Stayed at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham one night. It is a pleasant enough, airy, modern, right smack bang in the N.E.C. The hotel is on the edge of the large lake which I guess is the only redeeming feature of the N.E.C. site. Had a bit of a wait at the hotel check in as there was a queue. The room was comfortable though there was a couple of dead flies on the ceiling and a very small cobweb up there too. One of my bath towels was slightly damp but as I occupied a double I did have a second towel. I was provided witha free toothbrush as I had forgotton my own. The printed instructions for accessing phone messages don't correspond to the phone so had to call to get assistance which was irritating as it could easily be remedied. The dinner in the resturant was excellent and the breakfast wasn't bad, even though they have one of those hopeless non - toasting toasters.
However the reason that I would not choose to stay there again, is that there is only INSTANT coffee provided in the rooms. I really feel this is poor, all the other hotels I have stayed in of this calibre provided a small coffee press with some fresh ground coffee for that all important first fix of the day, the Crowne Plaza should too.

Reviewed July 22, 2010

Hi,

I was invited for dinner at the Crowne Plaza with a group of colleagues from the BBC Gardening Show.

We were in a group of ten people who decided to dine in the Chinese Restaurant downstairs which advertised a 'buffet' for 25 pounds a head.

Wha a disaster! First, we were kept waiting until 8.30 pm (around 2 hours) before being shown to our seats. Upon approaching the buffet, we were presented with two trays of what I could only describe as slop - some sort of chicken with sweet and sour sauce. Also some very dried out rice and some spring rolls which looked they had been there for a number of hours.

That was about it! I asked the young girl serving, where is the rest of the buffet? Her answer? 'Well, we close in about half an hour, so these are the leftovers and thats all that there is.'

I was completely flabbegasted, not only by this response, but also by some of my colleagues who were happily loading up this rubbish onto their plates.

I had some just to taste and all I could say is bland, bland, bland! For 25 pounds a head, around 250 pounds for our table, you would at least expect a choice of dishes.

I informed the maitre'd I would not be paying for my 'buffet' as basically it didn't exist. He started talking about calling the police. I informed him I would welcome that move and I would be upstairs in the bar willing to chat with them. Needless to say, they were busy with other issues at the time.

My advice - please do NOT book the Chinese restaurant, without checking fully the range of food available - don't get ripped off!

1  Thank gfdiamond
Reviewed July 22, 2010

I booked this hotel last minute when I took my son to see the Black Eyed Peas in May.

Literally 4 minuteswalk away from the Arena - just perfect! Fast and efficient service at the front desk (both check in and out) and when we got to the room and realised that the bed settee had not been set up for my son, someone was with us and it was sorted in a matter of minutes.

We didn't take breakfast so can't comment but would deffo stay here again and recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 18, 2010

As you'd expect well located for the NEC. Clean hotel with good facilities, nice bar restaurant areas etc. DO watch the prices, when I made the booking was told that breakfast was included is wasn't; was told the parking was included; it wasn't. At dinner a glass of house Red was £6.35, and the staff try too hard to get you to have a starter/suite; and to rub it in - a 10% service charge is added to the restuarant bill! It soon felt like the room rate was a springboard from which they launch inflated supplimentary costs.

May be just a bad experience, but next time I'll try to book somewhere else first.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
#30 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC? Share your experiences!