“close to nec”

Ranked #44 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Buckingham, United Kingdom
“close to nec”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Hotel is nice, stayed 1 night for business meeting, when you book the and pay for the wifi through their conference package, what they don't tell you is that, it's only valid from the start and finishing time of the meeting. What a con!

If you're vegetarian, the option they had was gnocchi in cheese sauce, found the sauce was too strong, had to order chips to compensate. Would be nice if they had a tomato based sauce with spices or some other flavourings.

We had something leaving for the train, asked at reception whats the best way to get there, they said taxi, they didn't even say they have a free shuttle bus to take them to the station.
That was very bad.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
David S, Cluster General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear din26,

thank you very much for you feedback regarding your stay.

I am sorry that there have been a few issues during your stay and that you could not fully enjoy your time with us. I will be discussing your feedback with my team so that we can get these areas of concern sorted and improved.

I hope you will be staying with us again soon.

David

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
  • Indonesian first
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Got a decent rate for this hotel on trip advisor and breakfast was included...service was great, breakfast was good, room was nice staff all seemed very nice...only reason I couldn't give it 5 stars was because they charge for the internet...it really should be free in my opinion

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
David S, Cluster General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Dear SeanTravelz,

thank you for your positive review. I hope you had a good time with us and will stay with us again soon.

Lpool
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We are at the present time waiting for a phone call to explain why we have had 2 separate payments of £120 charged to our credit card for a one night stay costing £70.On arrival we were kept at reception for 45 minutes as the receptionist informed us that the card had not been authorised. She then proceeded to input my card again. I said I was concerned that it would be taken off my account more than once. I have spoken to our bank at 3.00 o clock today and been informed that the Crowne Plaza have input 2 requests for £120 I rang them immediately and am still waiting for a solution two and a half hours later.I have made several calls to no avail..

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear sybil11,

thank you very much for your review regarding your stay.

I am very sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience when staying with us and that you encountered a number of issues regarding your credit card.
Our guest relations manager, Inga, has advised me that she has spoken to you herself and that the issue has been sorted now.
I do hope that you will give the hotel another chance and will stay with us again when in the area.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Lovely room with two double beds. Service good and location very central. Carparking expensive but only the same as all the central parking so don't bother trying elsewhere to park. Food only okay - as most hotel food. However, huge choice of restaurants in the vicinity. Club lounge good.
I have tried three hotels in central Birmingham and like this the best of those although Renaissance has location advantage if you are going to ICC.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
David S, Cluster General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear maryanne m,

thank you very much for your review regarding your stay.

I am pleased to hear that you like our hotel the best in Birmingham and that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

I only booked this place because u was watching a maroon 5 concert, the service was good but the walls in the hotel seemed really thin because we could hear everything next door. The tv channels were poor but that's to be expected. The beds we're comfy but like I said I'd try somewhere else if I came back to Birmingham.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
David S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear Jareth R,

thank you for you feedback.

I am sorry to hear that you would not stay with us again and that you found that our walls are very thin and your stay was disrupted by noise, but I hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay with us.

North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 17, 2014

I booked this hotel after looking at the reviews and it didn't let us down. We just wanted a good nights sleep before a very early start. The reception staff were lovely and friendly when we were checking in I just asked that we had a quite room which I had asked for at central reservations at IHG.The lady on reception said we hadn't been booked into the quiet zone but would change it immediately no problem. The room over looked the lake but unfortunately we arrived in the dark and left in the dark but we got to see it illuminated. We had a standard room which was comfortable clean medium size lovely comfy large bed excellent pillows and really soft quilt. we had a bar meal as the main restaurant was closed as it was Christmas but that suited us fine we had chicken breast burger and beef burger with chips and two drinks one soft one lager and it was £20 which is reasonable I think. We left early he next morning for the airport unfortunately the shuttle which takes you to the airport doesn't run at that time so the hotel booked us a taxi which was £8 and that was at 4am so not bad and it only took £ mins to get there. On return from our holiday we decided to again get a taxi so couldn't comment again on the shuttle. our barrier ticket was first validated at reception then we were swiftly on our way after picking our car up from the hotel car park. We also chose this hotel as all the hotels at the airport used the off site parking taking your car away and I need an over night bag which I want to leave in my car the morning of my flight and not take it on hols with me. And this hotel you are able to keep your car keys and so leave anything like coats and bags in your car while you are away. We would def use again.

Room Tip: if you find it hard to sleep ask to be in the quiet zone
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear nickyjayne,

thank you very much for taking the time and leaving us such good feedback about your stay.

I am pleased to hear that you had a relaxing start to your holiday and I do hope you will be staying with us again when you are flying from Birmingham.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Very clean and great beds. We booked for the night before our flight and left the car at the hotel. So simple and excellent value. Would use again but food was not too good. Very limited bar menu and the room service menu was not available - they did serve the food in our room but it was chosen off the bar menu. Good size portion but the quality was not there.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
David S, Cluster General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear shirleyannconroy,

thank you for your feedback regarding your stay.

I hope you had a lovely time away and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry that the food was limited and not up to standard.

I still hope you will be staying with us again in future.

David
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#25 of 117 in Birmingham

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC? Share your experiences!