“Convenient for NEC”

Ranked #44 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Wokingham
“Convenient for NEC”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I stayed two consecutive nights after attending gigs at the LG arena - a five minute walk away. The room was comfortable, bar service and food was good.

I would have given 4/5 but have reduced my score due to poor service at breakfast on the first morning - the kitchen seemed unable to keep up with demand for cooked food, so only half of the items were available at any time - which meant either waiting while food cooled or eating breakfast in shifts as other items came out.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
David S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Dear bad_u_turn,

thank you for your review regarding your recent stay.

It's good to hear that you enjoyed your room, the bar service and the food during your stay.

Thank you for the feedback regarding the food supply during breakfast on the first morning. I am very sorry to hear that the experience was not up to standard and that you had to wait for items. I will be speaking to our kitchen team to find our what the problems was so that situations like this will not occur in future.

I do hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

Kind regards,

David

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
  • Indonesian first
Derby
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I recently stayed at this Hotel and I have nothing but positivity to write. Easy location with on-site parking, extremely close to the NEC and LG arena’s.
I was quickly checked in by a pleasant receptionist who was thorough in telling me where my room was.
I got to the room itself and it was fresh and modern. As I was alone, the room was more than big enough and the TV was a nice size with free view channels. I rang down to reception and booked myself in to the restaurant, this was also a quick and easy process.
During that day I had not been very well and suffering with a migraine – I wanted my dinner quickly so I could retire to an early night. I went downstairs for my dinner reservation and was served swiftly by a pleasant smile from Quissem. He was very friendly and recommended some of the food. I ordered my dinner and each course came out presented lovely and tasted divine – it even helped with how bad I was feeling. Sarah and Carlos in the restaurant were also very attentive, again with smiles. Sarah even arranged for a peppermint tea to be brought to my room to help with my migraine and it did help!
All in all, my stay was very pleasant and the staff were very smart and professional, I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Peng33,

thank you very much for your positive review on your recent stay with us.

I am pleased to hear that you fully enjoyed your stay with us and we provided you with an excellent service throughout your stay.
I am very proud to hear that Quissem, Carlos and Sarah have helped to make your stay perfect. I will pass the praise on to them and their managers.

Thank you again for your feedback and I am looking forward to welcoming you again soon to the hotel.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2013

The room was lovely but unfortunately my shower was freezing cold. The room service was good and the food okay.The breakfast was good and it had delicious bacon but the fried egg hard was hard in middle. On checking out at 9am reception was in chaos and I had to wait fifteen to twenty minutes.The staff were always pleasant and friendly.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Coulson4,

thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the room service and the breakfast with us, I will pass the comment regarding the egg to our Head Chef.
Please accept my apologies that you had to wait at check out and were not served immediately.

I hope you will be staying with us again in the near future.

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Hi My experience at the hotel was great........has got a great hospitality....and good service.......keep it up......I have been so many times at the hotels in various places....but this was a good experience overall........we had a good time together....i will definetly come with my friends on a company visit which i will suggest them......so keep up the good work......

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Zampani S,

thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay.

I am very happy to hear that you had a good time staying in our hotel and that you will be coming back with your friends and colleagues.

It will be great to welcome you as a guest again soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2013

the stay was wonderfull. next to NEC and Airport. Perfect location to stay and fly. Very good staff, helpfull and couteous. service in bar was good. Good selection of food and drinks avaialable. reception staff was professional. very clean rooms and comfortable mattress.

Room Tip: great place to stay before flying.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear mathehayden987,

thank you for your positive review of your recent stay.

I am happy to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us. It is great to know that you found our staff helpful and courteous and that you enjoyed your food and drinks.

I hope to welcome you again soon.

London
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Problem with working at the NEC, you're kind of restricted in choice - it's either the Hilton, or Crowne Plaza, as the others are a bit off the beaten track or are just low quality.

Or, at least, that was the theory.

After staying at the Hilton previously, which was ok, we tried the CP instead.

Really, if you can, just avoid this pile of poo like the plague.

The rooms are dated (think dark wood '80s style), dark and noisy (the air con badly needs a service).

During our stay there wasn't adequate hot water in the mornings or evenings. No reason for this or fix was offered offered - in fact they just kind of shrugged and said 'yeah...we've heard that before'.

My room was so dusty a previous guest had written 'clean me' in the dust on the lamp base by the bed.

Room service was awful (I was chasing pre-booked breakfast, running 15 mins late and was told 'we're busy you know....we have 5 others to serve at the same time as you, so you'll have to wait....'. Oh - and the minibars are 'off line' (i.e. they don't work), so if you want a drink of anything at all, you either have to order through room service or go to the bar/restaurant.

So get this - you therefore have to get room service and if they bring you anything at all......they add another £ 3.50 'tray charge' to the bill, even though it's their bloody mini bars that aren't working. Brilliant. And that's if they even bother to bring what you order (which for me they didn't.....they just didn't turn up at all when I ordered a bottle of wine).

Bar service was ok, but the place is as welcoming as a dentist's waiting room and most of the staff looked like they really wanted to be somewhere else completely different.

Hilariously, you also have to pay for WiFi (even though I would suppose that the majority of guests are there on business because of the NEC and will need WiFi access in the morning and evening), so this is just plain cynical.

You also have to pay £ 10 a day to park there......even if you're disabled.........

Fundamentally, it's a crappy hotel, with cynical (over)-charges, no hot water and unhappy staff.

My advice - stay anywhere you can but here and if all else fails, sleep in your car. It'll only cost you a tenner a night.

Room Tip: My Tip - for a good room book somewhere else completely different.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JAR1965
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear JAR1965,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best hotel around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations, and I apologize you were not satisfied with the service provided during your stay as well as the room conditions. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we offer to our guests. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I stayed here the day construction started on the new complex behind the hotel. the noise was appalling all night and when i was asked at breakfast, in the bar and on check out how could my stay be improved, when i replied and told them about the noise (which i knew was not their fault) they all shrugged and were defensive with no real concern, so why ask?

Overall the stay was not upto other crowne plaza's in the UK.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Charlie G
Dear Charlie G,

thank you for your feedback.

I do understand that it is frustrating when you have construction noise next to the hotel.
We have spoken with the construction company a while back and have an agreement that no overnight work is being carried out and therefore future stays should not be influenced by that.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope to see you at the hotel again soon,

David
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Genting Hotel
#5 of 117 in Birmingham
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
#25 of 117 in Birmingham
Ladywood
Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC? Share your experiences!