“Stayed here last night”

Ranked #44 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Jersey, United Kingdom
“Stayed here last night”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Stayed here last night. Staff extremely friendly and made our stay. Convenient for airport. Food in bar good but expensive. Shame they don't have free wifi. Very clean and comfortable. Would stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
ClareBroadhurst, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your positive review of your recent stay with us. I am very pleased to hear that the staff were friendly and made your stay. It's great to know that your room was clean and comfortable, and that you found the food in the bar to be of a good standard.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hiotel in the near future.
Clare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
  • Indonesian first
Stratford Upon Avon
Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights due to attendance at an exhibition. On the positive the reception was good with efficient staff. Service in the bar also very prompt and professional. Location convenient to the exhibition halls of the NEC. On the negative was a lack of free Internet. In today's business world a business based hotel not offering this service complimentary is scandalous and the rates demanded were extortionate.
My first night I was awoken at 2pm due to being freezing cold with no heat coming through the climate control system. The only way the chill factor could be resolved was to have the fan on full blast to obtain maybe a degree of heat. Due to this I had just two more hours sleep before taking a shower and getting dressed to read the paper!! On the second night it was evident that something by someone had been done to correct this yet no communication. In reflection I should have known there was an issue by the number of additional heaters left in the hotels corridors.
My colleague had been upgraded to a suite, it was a room no larger than mine. Why call this a suite when evidently it is not?
I would not stay in this hotel again.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay with us.
It's very pleasing to hear that you found the reception staff to be efficient and that the bar service was prompt and professional.
I am sorry that you found our charges for internet usage to be a little high and be assured that I shall pass your comments onto our management team for review.
I would also like to apologise for any discomfort you experienced due to the temperature in your room and I'm sorry that any changes made were not communicated to you.
I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future so that you can experience Crowne Plaza as it should be.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza NEC during January 2013, for 5 nights, on a business trip. The majority of my stay was 'ok' as far as middle of the road hotel chains go.

My stay and the stay of one of my collegues was however ruined by the fact that a member of staff entered our rooms whilst we slept and stole our I Phones! This was on 2 separate occasions in very similar circumstances, as both my collegue and I had been to the front desk to have a new room card made. We were handed one room card and it soon came to light that 2 had in fact been made. Both phones were on charge in our rooms on the table opposite our beds (the only area of the room with access to a plug) whilst we slept and no where to be seen in the morning.

Both my collegue and I alerted the police of the two separate incidents and an investigation is being carried out with the hotel, however has recently come to an abrupt stop and been filed, due to the fact that because of a lack of CCTV in the hotel corridors and in my mind blatent disregard for guests safety and security there is insufficient evidence to convict one person.

I am not usually compelled to write reviews on sites such as trip advisor, however the way this case has been handled by the hotel is disgusting. Their staff and managers have lied and seem intent on saving the hotels reputation as opposed to getting to the bottom of this case and the connotations involved. I am just glad I am sitting here stating that my I phone was stolen, when someone entered my room as I slept, as opposed to a far more sinister scenario.

Further to this I have been communicating and following up my complaint with the Cluster General Manager for the hotel and instead of answering any of my questions and fulfilling my requests, to see things such as a breakdown of when my room was entered during the night, he just put me in touch with Intercontinental Hotel Groups loss adjustors, so that they can compensate me for the loss of my I phone - admission of guilt!? This to me is not the point, changing stories in order to suit the hotel, protect reputations, the lack of CCTV coverage in the corridors and what 'could have happened' are far more pressing matters.

I have emailled the Cluster General Manager asking for answers for the 3rd time on 21/02/2013 and I am still awaiting a response to this email, I have not even received an acknowledgement and IHG states that all complaints will be addressed within 48 hours, it has now been over that, another indicator for the lack of compentance within the management team at Crowne Plaza NEC.

If you value your safety, security and posessions DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL!!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank FVL0304
ClareBroadhurst, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Guest,
Please be assured that your complaint is being investigated by the hotel. Your comments have been taken seriously and appropriate actions are being taken.
I am sorry that you feel things have come to an abrupt halt, and I shall forward these comments on to the Hotel Management team.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Great for access to the NEC and the airport, but a little old fashioned. Rooms are clean, beds comfortable but technology poor. No free WiFi access in rooms or public areas, and paid access rates high. Good breakfast.
Arrived at airport late on Saturday night and was a little disappointed that there was no shuttle bus - had to take a cab.

Room Tip: Try for a room with view on lake
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay.
I am glad that you found the room to be clean and comfortable, and that you enjoyed your breakfast experience with us.
I apologise for any inconvenience caused due to the lack of a shuttle on you return from the airport.
With regard to our prices for internet use, we do feel that our prices are competitive with other establishments in the area, but I shall forward your comments on to our management team for review.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

have stopped here many times before and the service and rooms are always good. Staff are attentive and polite.It is only a 10 minute walk to the NEC and you can leave your car safely in their car park.
Buffet breakfast is really good althogh the toast machines seem to have a mind of their own. Restaurant is nice but a little on the expensive side. There is a nice bar that lloks out over the lake and I guess it would be nice in the summer.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
ClareBroadhurst, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay with us. It is always good to hear from returning guests.
I am happy to hear that you found the staff to be attentive & polite, and that you always find the service and rooms to be good.
I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future, maybe in the summer so you can check out the view of the lake.
Kesgrave, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed as a family of two adults and a child. Great location as we needed to go to the LG Arena. Just a five minute walk. We were disappointed the hotel didn't have a pool or any facilities. Our room wasn't made up when we arrived but they quickly sent house keeping up to finish cleaning the bathroom and make the sofa bed. We ordered room service on the first night. Very bad unfortunately. My daughters kids meal was very cold, not edible and my sandwich was on some what stale bread and the coronation chicken tasted like curry paste. We have ordered room service at other hotels and had lovely food so there's no excuse. Breakfasts were lovely though and plenty of choices. Staff were all very friendly and helpful. Upon check out we did mention the room service food was bad and the wavered the tray charge. But we still had to pay for the awful food!!! Over all a great place to stay if you are going to the NEC or Airport. Not a great place if you are looking to spend any amount of time there. Child friendly, comfortable beds, bring your own food.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay with us.
I am sorry that your room was not ready on your arrival and that our facilities were not as extensive as you had hoped for your family. I am also disappointed to hear that your In Room Dining experience was not as enjoyable as it should have been, please be assured that this unusual and I shall forward your comments on to Chef and team.
I'm glad that our location to the LG Arena/NEC suited your needs and that the staff were friendly and helpful throughout the hotel.
I do hope that you choose to stay and dine with us again, so that we have the opportunity to provide you with the experience you should have received.
Accrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

probably my favourite hotel in the South Birmingham/airport area. Always easy to use, easy check-in, nice rooms, always clean, and food always good in restaurant. Not the cheapest place, but is value for money

Room Tip: the executive rooms are just that little bit better than the standard, and suites even more luxuriou...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you for such a positive review of your stays with us. It is always rewardong to hear from guests who stay with us regularly. I'm glad that you have had the opportunity to experience all our room types and that you recommend our Lake View rooms.
I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.
Clare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Genting Hotel
#5 of 117 in Birmingham
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
#25 of 117 in Birmingham
Ladywood
Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC? Share your experiences!