Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Ranked #51 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed February 25, 2013

probably my favourite hotel in the South Birmingham/airport area. Always easy to use, easy check-in, nice rooms, always clean, and food always good in restaurant. Not the cheapest place, but is value for money

Room Tip: the executive rooms are just that little bit better than the standard, and suites even more luxuriou...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
ClareBroadhurst, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for such a positive review of your stays with us. It is always rewardong to hear from guests who stay with us regularly. I'm glad that you have had the opportunity to experience all our room types and that you recommend our Lake View rooms.
I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.
Clare

Write a ReviewReviews (1,802)

Reviewed February 23, 2013

If you're visiting the NEC as an exhibitor or consumer, expectations about accommodation are unlikely to be high. We visit the NEC every year for two or three nights, and have tried a number of on-site hotels. This is the best of a fairly mediocre bunch. The staff are friendly, the food (we went to Pendigo on the ower-ground floor) is good (more interesting at dinner than breakfast, and happily not so much bought-in food-service stuff as in similar hotels), and you can walk to the NEC in 5 to 10 minutes. A nice touch: the herbal spray-kits by the beds to help you sleep. The only criticisms are mild. Despite the web-site information about the free shuttle bus, it was difficult to arrange a pick-up from the airport by the free shuttle (apparently, you have to call them directly on your own phone when you get to the airport: no courtesy phones in the arrival hall). Not knowing this, we walked from the airport to the hotel via the rail station and NEC (30 mins in total) with suitcases. Shuttle to airport from the hotel was fine (it cost £1 for the airport's drop-off fee). Our room (a room with two double beds in it) had too much furniture in it, so that it was difficult to move around. There wasn't enough space to put our luggage, which made the room feel even more cluttered. 3 days of Wifi cost £30: the web-site give the impression that it is free. Otherwise, it was an efficient, clean, friendly, and comfortable place to stay. We would definitely stay there again.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback following your recent stay with us.
I'm happy to hear that you found that staff to be friendly and that the food was prepared to a good standard. We are in an idela location for visitors of the NEC/LG Arena as you have mentioned and I am also a fan of the Sleep Kits in the bedrooms.
I am sorry, however, that you were unable to contact the hotel for the shuttle to come and collect you, and that you found the room to be cluttered.
I am pleased that you would stay with us again and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Here for a one day conference. Super facilities both in terms of the hotel and as a conference venue. The lunch provided was good quality and even the coffee wasn't too sad!

A large queue had formed when we came to check in (expectedly) but the hotel sent extra check in staff to the desk and provided soft drinks to those in the queue which was a really nice and welcome touch.

Room was of a very good standard - no cleanliness issues, shower and bathroom in good order generally - complimentary water in the room.

Car parking was hassle free.

Very friendly and helpful staff all round. Would definitely stay again.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for such positive feedback on your recent stay with us.
I am glad to hear that you found our conference facilities to be of a high standard, I shall pass these comments on to our Events Team.
I am sorry that you experienced a slight delay at check-in, but very pleased to hear that the Front Desk acted accordingly in getting more staff to the desk to assist.
I am happy that you found your found your room to be presented to a good standard and the staff to be friendly and helpful.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

I recently stayed at the Crowne Plaza for one night on business in room 230. I can't fault anything about my stay, hence I'm awarding full marks. The main points:

- check-in was quick and the staff pleasant and welcoming
- the room was very clean, spacious and had everything I needed (comfortable bed, clean bathroom with nice complimentary toiletries, well stocked tea tray with biscuits, iron/ironing board, hairdryer, robes, TV with a good selection of channels - both HD and basic), although I did have to search for certain things which were well hidden like the hairdryer in the desk!
- room service had a range of reasonably priced sandwiches as well as pricier options, was delivered promptly and the food was lovely
- breakfast was a good selection of decent quality hot and cold self-service options (toast, pastries, cereal, various different fresh fruits, full english etc.)
- my wake up call was on time, and a follow-up was offered
- all staff members I encountered were friendly and pleasant

I walked to the hotel from Birmingham International train station which took about 15 minutes, although about half of the walk was indoors, through the NEC. The hotel was well signposted, and on leaving the NEC it was easy to see, across the lake.

It's also worth mentioning that although construction is going on next door, I wasn't disturbed at all by any noise from it (I arrived at 7pm and left at 8am, so maybe peace from it is to be expected!). In fact I had a very good night's sleep and didn't even need to use the complimentary pilow spray and pulse point oil (which was a nice touch).

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
ClareBroadhurst, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay.
I am glad that you received a pleasant welcome to the hotel and that your room was well presented and had everything you needed.
It's great to hear that you enjoyed your dining experiences with us, and that you found the food to be reasonably priced.
I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Stayed here 19th of January before we went on holiday, it cost us £65.00 for one night stay before departure and car parking for 2 weeks with free shuttle bus to airport bargain. Hotel was spotless and clean and the room was comfortable. We had dinner in the bar area which was nice but rather overpriced and portions were tiny. Asked for a wake call, which we got on time and checked out early morning shuttle bus was wating to take us to airport. Would recommend crown plaza and i would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for such a positive review of your stay with us. I'm glad that you took advantage of one of our Park, Stay & Fly deals and that you found the hotel to be well presented and comfortable.
I am pleased that the start to your holiday went smoothly with you r wake-up call and the awaiting shuttle to the airport.
I hope you choose to stay with us again nefore your nexy holiday.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Here for a venue, but the hotel is lush. Relaxing surroundings, food is sumptuous. No hesitation in recommending.
Pleasant staff throughout reception, lounge, bar area and restaurants. Nice cosy drink areas for couples and larger areas for group chats.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your positive comments. It is always motivating for the teams to receuve such good feedback.
I am happy to hear that the staff were pleasant throughout the hotel and that your stay was relaxing and comfortable.
Thank you for your kind recommendation and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

OK the Good Bits

Great little lavender pillow spray and pulse point oil to aid a restful sleep! Loved this!

Food excellent, both at dinner and breakfast. Ate in the upstairs bar / brasserie and also as part of an event for approx 100 people. Both had excellent quality and I take my hat off to the chef and kitchen staff! The Brasserie food was really excellent! Also service here great.

Breakfast - food good quality, however let me explain. Upon arriving, it took too long to be seated as each guest was seated individually, when joining colleagues I want to be able to check in and seat myself quickly. Nearly 5 minutes to get through the queue with only 2 people in front of me is just too too long!

Upon arriving at my table there were cups left from the previous occupants. After attempting to catch someones attention for 10 minutes I had to approach the manager, of the 4 people in that area only the manager acknowledge me and responded (immediately may I add so no issues with the manager) but all staff lacked the ability to recognise when a customer wanted / needed something. They appeared only to approach a table if people had vacated and not during their breakfast to see if anything else was required.

Rooms were great, good bathroom and bedroom, it just lacked the personal touch by housekeeping. Everything cleaned, but it wasn't noticed there was no TV remote, until I went to use this as 11pm at night! One was duly sent up, however there are certain points I would suggest could be added to the room check and this is one of them.

Kettle is located at the side of the fridge in a cupboard, by the time I'd located it, I couldn't be bothered to use it.

As I said, good hotel, some excellent staff, I just felt the rooms could be improved. I would expect easy to access tea tray (which is was not) and also a TV remote.

I wouldn't suggest not to stay here, just that the comfort of your stay wouldn't be 100%

Room Tip: Just to the check list as you arrive in the room!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
ClareBroadhurst, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on your recent stay with us.
We value all guest feedback and your comments have been passed on to the relevant department managers for review.
Your comments about the staff are very motivational and they will be shared with the teams.
I apologise for any inconvenience you experienced at breakfast with queues and unprepared tables, as well as with your room. I am glad that remote was brought to your room swiftly.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.
Clare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
#33 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC? Share your experiences!