“What's not to like?”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Ranked #55 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I recently stayed at the Crowne Plaza for one night on business in room 230. I can't fault anything about my stay, hence I'm awarding full marks. The main points:

- check-in was quick and the staff pleasant and welcoming
- the room was very clean, spacious and had everything I needed (comfortable bed, clean bathroom with nice complimentary toiletries, well stocked tea tray with biscuits, iron/ironing board, hairdryer, robes, TV with a good selection of channels - both HD and basic), although I did have to search for certain things which were well hidden like the hairdryer in the desk!
- room service had a range of reasonably priced sandwiches as well as pricier options, was delivered promptly and the food was lovely
- breakfast was a good selection of decent quality hot and cold self-service options (toast, pastries, cereal, various different fresh fruits, full english etc.)
- my wake up call was on time, and a follow-up was offered
- all staff members I encountered were friendly and pleasant

I walked to the hotel from Birmingham International train station which took about 15 minutes, although about half of the walk was indoors, through the NEC. The hotel was well signposted, and on leaving the NEC it was easy to see, across the lake.

It's also worth mentioning that although construction is going on next door, I wasn't disturbed at all by any noise from it (I arrived at 7pm and left at 8am, so maybe peace from it is to be expected!). In fact I had a very good night's sleep and didn't even need to use the complimentary pilow spray and pulse point oil (which was a nice touch).

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
ClareBroadhurst, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay.
I am glad that you received a pleasant welcome to the hotel and that your room was well presented and had everything you needed.
It's great to hear that you enjoyed your dining experiences with us, and that you found the food to be reasonably priced.
I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.
Clare

Write a ReviewReviews (1,829)

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Stayed here 19th of January before we went on holiday, it cost us £65.00 for one night stay before departure and car parking for 2 weeks with free shuttle bus to airport bargain. Hotel was spotless and clean and the room was comfortable. We had dinner in the bar area which was nice but rather overpriced and portions were tiny. Asked for a wake call, which we got on time and checked out early morning shuttle bus was wating to take us to airport. Would recommend crown plaza and i would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for such a positive review of your stay with us. I'm glad that you took advantage of one of our Park, Stay & Fly deals and that you found the hotel to be well presented and comfortable.
I am pleased that the start to your holiday went smoothly with you r wake-up call and the awaiting shuttle to the airport.
I hope you choose to stay with us again nefore your nexy holiday.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Here for a venue, but the hotel is lush. Relaxing surroundings, food is sumptuous. No hesitation in recommending.
Pleasant staff throughout reception, lounge, bar area and restaurants. Nice cosy drink areas for couples and larger areas for group chats.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your positive comments. It is always motivating for the teams to receuve such good feedback.
I am happy to hear that the staff were pleasant throughout the hotel and that your stay was relaxing and comfortable.
Thank you for your kind recommendation and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

OK the Good Bits

Great little lavender pillow spray and pulse point oil to aid a restful sleep! Loved this!

Food excellent, both at dinner and breakfast. Ate in the upstairs bar / brasserie and also as part of an event for approx 100 people. Both had excellent quality and I take my hat off to the chef and kitchen staff! The Brasserie food was really excellent! Also service here great.

Breakfast - food good quality, however let me explain. Upon arriving, it took too long to be seated as each guest was seated individually, when joining colleagues I want to be able to check in and seat myself quickly. Nearly 5 minutes to get through the queue with only 2 people in front of me is just too too long!

Upon arriving at my table there were cups left from the previous occupants. After attempting to catch someones attention for 10 minutes I had to approach the manager, of the 4 people in that area only the manager acknowledge me and responded (immediately may I add so no issues with the manager) but all staff lacked the ability to recognise when a customer wanted / needed something. They appeared only to approach a table if people had vacated and not during their breakfast to see if anything else was required.

Rooms were great, good bathroom and bedroom, it just lacked the personal touch by housekeeping. Everything cleaned, but it wasn't noticed there was no TV remote, until I went to use this as 11pm at night! One was duly sent up, however there are certain points I would suggest could be added to the room check and this is one of them.

Kettle is located at the side of the fridge in a cupboard, by the time I'd located it, I couldn't be bothered to use it.

As I said, good hotel, some excellent staff, I just felt the rooms could be improved. I would expect easy to access tea tray (which is was not) and also a TV remote.

I wouldn't suggest not to stay here, just that the comfort of your stay wouldn't be 100%

Room Tip: Just to the check list as you arrive in the room!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
ClareBroadhurst, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on your recent stay with us.
We value all guest feedback and your comments have been passed on to the relevant department managers for review.
Your comments about the staff are very motivational and they will be shared with the teams.
I apologise for any inconvenience you experienced at breakfast with queues and unprepared tables, as well as with your room. I am glad that remote was brought to your room swiftly.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

The rooms are up to the usual standard of Crowne Plaza (which is fairly good in my book). However, there were a few glitches in the service and the quality of food was a little disappointing. There was no room service menu in the room and so I was told that one would be brought up although it never arrived. I called several times and the phone was not answered. I called reception to request that a message be passed on and they hung up before answering. When I did finally get through, I just ordered something I guessed they would have on the menu- not a great idea as the chips were almost inedible (in my view anyway. There are no shops or restaurants within walking distance (as far as I know) so I would probably stay elsewhere next time (Hilton Metropole?).

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us.
I am sorry that your experience with us was not what you expected of a Crowne Plaza. I shall certainly look into the issue of the phones not being actioned.
I do hope that we are given the opportuniy to welcome you back to the hotel so that we can deliver the experience expected of a Crowne Plaza.
Many thanks

Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here just for one night as had early morning flight from Birmingham airport. Although not on airport site, its only a short taxi journey. Staff super efficient & after a real person gave us an early morning wake up call, our taxi was outside waiting for us! Nice rooms, spotless & food was good too.

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us.
I am pleased to hear that your stay with us was smooth and relaxing and that you enjoyed your dining experience with us.
I look forward to welcoming back to the hotel before your next holiday.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

The staff were fabulous - all staff!! We were greeted by smiling, friendly welcoming receptionists, served by extremely welcoming bar staff, waited and helped by all restaurant staff - breakfast, dinner and tea - service impeccable and great room service too and housekeeping staff fantastic!
We requested an upgrade (as we have both had tough few years) and were upgraded to Lake View room which was lovely! Room very clean and welcoming - everything we needed.
Location absolutely brilliant - we could walk to LG Arena in 5 minutes - very easy to get to and nice walk around lake.
Food was delicious and I mean TOP QUALITY - huge choice at breakfast, lovely lunches/snacks and dinner was divine (we recommend the Duck and the Pork :) )

Thank You Crowne Plaza for making our stay PERFECT - we will definitely see you again!

Room Tip: Lake View Rooms were lovely
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback after your recent stay with us.
I am pleased that the reception team were welcoming and accommodating to your request for an upgrade and that the Food & Beverage team were attentive during your dining experiences with us. I shall pass your compliments on to Chef and his team as having great feedback is always motivational.
I do hope that your stay was relaxing and rejuvenating, and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Clare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
#34 of 118 in Birmingham
Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC? Share your experiences!