“Great value - great service”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Ranked #44 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Newcastle
“Great value - great service”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night when we travelled south to see Andrea Bocelli at the NEC. Hotel was really busy and there was a bit of a queue booking in on arrival. Soft drinks served to those waiting but the staff worked hard to get everyone sorted out quickly. Lovely room (we went for the Queen) overlooking the lake. Food was excellent and we had chips, rhubarb crumbles and cream as a late night feast after the event. Very pleasant 5 minute walk to and from the NEC arena. Brilliant breakfast next mroning too! We'll look for more concerts in future and stay here again.

Room Tip: Queen rooms have a settee which is nice for relaxing and watching telly without having to sit on the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
ClareBroadhurst, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay with us.
I apologise that you experienced a delay at check-in, but it's great to hear that the Reception Team worked well to rectify the situation.
I'm happy to hear that you took advantage of one of our Lake View rooms, and that you enjoyed your dining experience with us. I shall pass your comments on to the relevant departments.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel for your next concert night.
Clare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
  • Indonesian first
Cardiff-by-the-Sea, California
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Like it a lot!!! great place to be in! great stuff! good food... I would recommend this hotel for its hospitality and friendly nature of the staff. We will be back soon again... I recommend this hotel. Great time.Good parking facility too. Bottom-line the stay was amazing.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your positive review of your stay with us.
I'm glad that you found the staff to be friendly and hospitable. I shall pass your compliments on to Chef and his team.
Thank you for recommending us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

North Yorkshire
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Arrived by train and after visiting the NEC I booked into the hotel. The walking is easy, even with a suitcase on wheels!
The staff were very friendly and the room was clean & a good size.
Dinner in Pendigo's Restaurant was excellent, if pricey.
I enjoyed a good breakfast before revisiting the NEC the following day.
Internet access is extra.
I would certainly recommend this hotel, especially for its location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ClareBroadhurst, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review of our hotel. It's great to hear that you found the staff to be friendly during your stay and that your room was well presented. I am glad to hear that you emjoyed your dinings experiences with us.

It's pleasing to know that you would recommend to us, and I hope that you choose to stay with us again in the near future too.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I have just returned from a 3 night stay at this hotel. Would I recommend it, I don't know. I would probably try for another hotel in the area before automatically returning. Here are the things they do well and also the things I think they could improve.

Good
1. The staff. Very helpful and pleasant on reception and in the resturant.
2. Walking distance to NEC.
3. Spacious modern rooms.
4. Food very good. Had the best lamb I have tasted.

Could improve
1. Answering the phone. I called reception, resturant and housekeeping. Held on for a very long time, no one answered.
2. Reported that hospitality tray had not been cleaned. Told someone would come to the room about it. No one turned up. Ended up washing the cups myself.
3. Wiped some water spillage on the bathroom floor with towel. Lifted the towel and it was covered in hair. This was just after we arrived. The floor had not been cleaned.
4. We had a lovely meal in the resturant on Saturday night, however, the table next to us was cleared but not wiped for the length of our meal. It was not what I expected in the main resturant of a hotel.
5. The cost of a meal in the resturant was on the steep side for someone not on expenses.
And considering there was no difference to the tables from breakfast to dinner. A table cover covering the black marble would have been a nice touch.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank whatsitcalled
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback here on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased that you found the staff to be helpful and pleasant and i shall forward your comments onto the teams. I will also pass your compliments on to Chef and his team regarding your dining experience - especially the lamb!

I apologise that you were unable to contact various departments during your stay I will ensure that this concern is raised with the relevant departments. I am also sorry that your request for the hospitality tray was not followed up on and that your room was not cleaned to our usual high standard. I shall forward these comments on to our Housekeeping Team.

I do hope that the good points outweigh your areas for improvement and that you choose to stay with us again in the future.

UK
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Stayed here at an amazing rate.
Excellent nights sleep before our flight and a superb shuttle service to airport.
Good service
Bar a little expensive would be the only negative ! (But the deal with the room and parking well covered this )

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank your leaving feedback following your recent stay with us.

I'm glad that you took advantage of one of our fantastic deals prior to your holiday as well as our shuttle service, which I'm glad you found to be efficient.
It's also good to hear that you found the service throughout the hotel to be of a good level.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again.

Many thanks
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2012

The room was very good, clean and warm with a great power shower. Breakfast was good too with plenty to choose from and lots of it. Downside only 2 negative points but both important, firstly the welcome at reception was extremely bad to be 'barked' at by Tami that rooms would not be ready till after 2pm (ok we knew that) and that was not why I approached reception!!!! Also, the walk off hotel grounds to NEC was poor, either a muddy pathway or a limbo under the car park barriers! All in all a good hotel for a one night stay when visiting the NEC. Bar man and restaurant staff very friendly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
ClareBroadhurst, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Guest

Many Thanks for you trip advisor review- I am glad overall that you had a good stay with us and I do hope the negative aspects of your review dont deter you using us again.

May I ensure you I will following further training up with the individual you mentioned

Kind Regards

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2012

The alarm bells started ringing as soon as we walked into Reception. The queue to check in was very long and very grumpy. No one seemed to be clearing check-in, it was sooooo slow. The excuse, when we finally got served, was that housekeeping weren't releasing rooms. Now, the hotel was full. It had been full the night before. Management will know this. So staff up accordingly. "Everyone arrived at the same time." No. Everyone arrived after 2pm, the time YOU say we can book-in. The hotel only exists because of the NEC. People are arriving for an Andrea Bocelli concert at the LG Arena. It is Saturday so couples are making the most of the night and arriving early TO SPEND MONEY IN YOUR BAR & RESTAURANT. (Actually, you are so poor that your customers can't even give you their money. But more of that later.) From the time we walked through the door to walking away with a room-key was 35 minutes. Not a Manager or Supervisor in sight. An hour later, as we sat in the bar, we could see that Reception was no better. Finally, Management appeared, Front of House, and staff were suddenly quicker and efficient. We had ordered food. My wife's baguette arrived with mayonnaise on it - not an ingredient in the description. Back it went. By now the bar was packed. 2 very slow staff serving. Food was taking an age to come out. My wife went upstairs for a nap so I went to sit at the bar. Customer after customer was complaining about the service being slow. One man had waited an hour for his food and, when it arrived, it was stone cold. The Supervisor wasn't supervising. He was just fielding complaints. Finally, he started to advise customers not to order food or go down to the restaurant FOR A £20 PER HEAD BUFFET! Then, they ran out of large wine glasses. Really? How badly run does a hotel have to be that it runs out of glasses? I made my way upstairs. My room-key card didn't work. Not wanting to disturb my wife, I trooped back downstairs to have it changed. I finally got into the room to be told by my wife that the shower was cold. We changed and left for the concert. Back into the bar afterwards, it was pandemonium. 6 people serving, at a long bar, but all standing together in the middle! No one at either end could get served. Over 20 minutes to get a drink. The same Supervisor as before noted that "everyone arrived at the same time." OF COURSE WE DID. WE'VE ALL JUST GOT BACK FROM THE CONCERT? YOU REMEMBER? THE REASON WE'RE ALL HERE? THE REASON YOUR HOTEL EXISTS? He was still refusing food orders. Despite all this, we had a great evening at the concert and, once it calmed down, in the bar. A good night's sleep, room service bacon sarnies (hit the spot) and then a shower. Ah! No, actually. No hot water. This is England, isn't it? This is the 21st century, isn't it? We packed quickly and trudged down to Reception. Slow, slow, slow! No urgency, no supervision, no customer service. Not even anyone to complain to.
Read any of my reviews and you'll find that I can't wait to praise good service. I've worked in a service business for all 38 years of my working life. We constantly e-mail hotels naming waiting staff for great service. So, I am not just a moaner. This was a huge chain hotel getting it spectacularly wrong. Poor training in the bar, no urgency anywhere. No management presence at busy times. Poor, poor, poor. We won't be back.

Room Tip: The best advice to choosing a good room is to stay at The Hilton Metropole.
2 Thank NiallJanet
Dear Guest

Many Thanks for your review I empathise with you and I understand your frustrations from this weekend.

I completely agree with you that Saturday could have gone much better in the hotel. I can assure you all the management team are aware of the points you raised in your review and we are doing thorough debrief into Saturday to see what happen with regards to large amount of queues in our Front Of House areas.

Please can I assure you we are taking your review seriously and putting actions into place to avoid this happening in the future.

Please contact me if you do stay with us again so I can do my utmost to ensure you have a pleasant stay with us.

Kindest Regards

Clare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Genting Hotel
#5 of 117 in Birmingham
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
#26 of 117 in Birmingham
Ladywood
Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#25 of 117 in Birmingham

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC? Share your experiences!