“Decent room with comfy bed”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Ranked #51 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Decent conference hotel with the NEC just a short walk away. Room was decent and the bed was very comfy. Breakfast was the usual buffet with a reasonable choice of hot & cold food. My only concern would be that a number of rooms seemed to have been double booked so on arrival some guests (though thankfully not us!) were then switched to alternative hotels.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
ClareBroadhurst, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I'm glad you found the room to be of a decent standard and the bed to be comfy.
As you said we are in an ideal location for anyone attending events at the NEC/LG Arena as we are a 5 minute walk around the lake.
I look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Having stayed in the Copenhagen Crowne Plaza, I had an idea of what to expect here. Check-in was easy but expect £50 incidentals/night to be temporarily put on your card. I was expecting a single room but appeared to have a Queen-sized bed (I was not complaining!) and the room had a superb view of Pendigo lake and the NEC, the nearest door of which is only 10 minute stroll away. Breakfast was par for the course for a top business hotel and the bar food was excellent, if a little pricey (again to be expected for Crowne). Check-out was smooth and uncomplicated - I even appeared to have saved on the car parking fee (maybe due to food/drink spent or Priority Club status?). Only minor negative - a room in my corridor had left their dinner outside their room, I told Reception and when I returned to the corridor 4 hours later, it was still there! However, I am still impressed with Crowne's standards and would again stay in one wherever I was around the world.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear of the hotel - a pleasant view of the lake is to be had!

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your loyalty to the Crowne Plaza group of hotels. It is very pleasing to know that the Reception team handled your check-in and check-out smoothly and to our usual high standard.
I shall pass your 'compliments to the Chef' regarding your bar food as they always like to hear good feedback.
I can only apologise that the In Room Dining was not collected in a reasonable time and I shall pass these comments on to our Food & Beverage Management Team to look into.
I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Crowne Plaza Birmingham NEC.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Stayed here two nights on business and was responsible for booking in a number of colleagues as well. BIG mistake as we were due to arrive on the 26th.September and got a call at 10.30am that day to say they had double booked us owing to a computer "glitch" and were cancelling most of our bookings. Although my room was still available I was witness to obvious booking problems with other guests while waiting at reception. The hotel did nothing by way of apology for their obvious error. During the stay had a number of minor niggles with shower gel not being replaced, no receipt for car parking etc., none of these would have been too annoying but when added up and taken with the attitude of some, not all, staff that seemed to be everything was too much of an effort for them to give a level of service that comes with a smile rather than a sour face!
Rooms were what you expect from Crowne Plaza hotel and of a good size and standard, breakfast buffet was a little short on options.
Not a hotel I will be staying with again as i feel you cannot trust them with a booking, this feeling has been underlined as I have raised these issues in a customer service survey and email that so far the hotel has not bothered to respond to after 3 days, which again says a lot for their interest in having satisfied customers. AVOID if you do not want to be treated like an item on a conveyer belt!

1  Thank SeanNorwich

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for leaving your comments regarding your recent stay, which I spoke to you about personally during your stay. Once again I can only apologise for the issues you experienced with us and please be assured that we are looking into this further.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Nothing special and nothing awful
Bland breakfast
Reasonable meeting rooms
Internet quite expensive as is food and bar
Nothing nearby other than airport and NEC
Go in to Birmingham to eat would be my recommendation

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
ClareBroadhurst, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback following your recent stay.
I am sorry to hear that you found the breakfast to be bland, and that you found the pricing to be quite high. We do feel that our pricing for internet usage and in the bar is competitive with other establishments in the area, however, we are constantly reviewing this and your comments will be passed on to our Senior Management Team.
As you mentioned our location is somewhat remote as we are part of the Birmingham NEC complex, however this puts us in an ideal location for anyone attending events at the LG Arena or the Exhibition Centre as well as travelling from Birmingham Airport.
Reception are always happy with recommendations for local restaurants should our guests want to explore the nearby town of Solihull or Birmingham City Centre.
I am glad to hear that you found our meeting rooms to be reasonable, and I shall pass your comments onto our Meeting Success team.
I do hope you choose to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

stayed at the Crowne Plaza as I had a 6am flight, from booking in to booking out I found the hotel to be immaculate. The room was very comfortable, normally I don't sleep very well in hotels but I slept like a baby in this one. The food was of a high standard and the service outstanding. The only fault was they missed my early morning call, luckily I had set my own alarm (it's happened before). They did ensure I got to the airport on time though and paid for the taxi to, and on my return, from the airport.

Room Tip: choose any room - I would suspect they are all good
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
ClareBroadhurst, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for leaving such a positive review of your recent stay with us.
Firstly I'd like to apologise for your missed wake-up call, however I am glad to hear that you made your flight on time.
It's very good to hear that you found the hotel to be comfortable and well presented,and that you had a great nights sleep.
I shall pass your 'compliments to the chef' regarsing your meal and i will ensure that your comments are also forwarded to the Food & Beverage Management team to pass on to the team regardin service.
i hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We did a "stay park'n'fly" - a very comfortable hotel and at a very good price for the combination. Rooms excellent size and, for a chain, very well furnished. No problems there, would recommend without hesitation.

However, we had some problems with transfers to the airport - they only operate a shuttle between certain hours... they did order a taxi for us going out (which we of course had to pay for)... but although our return was well within those hours coming back we phoned and phoned and phoned (for over 20 minutes with no pick up. The very helpful woman at Birmingham information said this was often the case... we took the monorail to NEC and tried phoning again, but ended up walking in the rain trailing our cases - fortunately only 10 mins, but takes the shine off

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guset,
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback regarding your recent stay. Firstly I'd like to apologise for the problems you encountered on your return from your holiday. I can assure you that this is most unusual.
I am glad, however, that you had a comfortable stay with us and that you found your park, stay & fly package to be good value. I also hope that you choose to stay with us again before your next holiday.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

I stayed here for 6nights with colleagues for a trade show, and have done for the past 2 years. This year was more expensive which wasn't good for repeat customers.

Location is great for access to the NEC or NEC arena as it's only an 5 minute walk to them both so is the closest hotel.

Rooms are good, spacious and clean. Service is very good, the staff are engaged and take pride in their work, we had especially good service at breakfast from 14th - 19th September, not sure what happened on the 20th as they ran out of bread and a few other things despite having plenty of staff and forgot some cooked to order items on our table on this day, but every other day the service was of a really good standard.

The food in the bar and restaurant is of a good standard to, they also keep some good wines, one small complaint would be that the fridge they store the wine in doesn’t work properly so make sure you get an ice bucket or you'll have warm wine like i did!

There is a gym, but it's far too small, and considering there are many business travellers staying here, we would all appreciate a bigger, better equipped gym.

Plus points:
Good service
Large car park
Gym, albeit a very small one!
Excellent location for NEC access
Close to the airport
Great breakfast
Good wine list
Only a 15minute drive to Birmingham city centre

Minus points
Gym is far too small
Wine fridge behind bar doesn’t work properly
Expensive during peak times

If you book and are a member of the priority club you can collect points for your stay which is great, but if you as i do, book and pay also for colleagues, then they won’t let you receive points for the value spent on their stay / purchase, which is unlike other Crowne Plaza's and Holiday Inns which always let me collect points for colleagues if I’m booking and paying, this is confusing and annoying especially when you are spending upwards of £2000 in the hotel!

But all in all a good stay and i would always try to stay here (price permitting) if I need to be in the NEC.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite or a lake view room as they are quiter
2  Thank BarrieS2

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay with us. It's always good to hear from returning guests.
I am pleased that you found your room to be clean & spacious. It is also great to know that our staff are taking pride their work and providing the high level of service expected of a Crowne Plaza. I shall pass your concerns on to the Restaurant Manager regarding service on the 20th for him to look into.
Regarding your comments about the gym. These have been forwarded on to Senior Management for review as we are always looking for ways to improve our Guests experience.
I would also like to apologise that were unable to apply your Priority Club details to mutiple rooms, and I would like to look into this for you. If you could be so kind as to forward me your reservation details I shall have at the details.
Once again, Thank You for such a positive review and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the furture.
Clare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
#33 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC? Share your experiences!