“Very nice stay indeed”

Ranked #19 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Armadale, United Kingdom
“Very nice stay indeed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

I had a good many positive things to say about this hotel having never been to a Hampton by Hilton before.

The decor is chique and not too fussy. The wifi is free and easy to use throughout the hotel, and the food is just what you want it to be. I strongly recommend the pizza's for an evening watching the football, very nice!

The staff were professional and attentive though sometimes you are waiting for a while at reception so give yourself time if you need to be anywhere fast.

On the getting any where fast theme, don't use the hotels taxi contractor. Not the hotels fault but A2B taxi's are terrible and left us standing for half an hour. Even the manager tried to figure out why they were so late. In the end we had to call another company.

The rooms are bright and airy though it's a bit awkward having to open the thin curtain to then shut the black out blind. Also, I have no level access needs and therefore did not require or request a level access room or a wet room. I also have to agree with some of the other reviews about the room allocations. If there are two rooms on the booking, they should not be allocated 13 floors apart. I was on the 4th floor and my colleague was put on 17!

Overall I would recommend this hotel. My negatives are merely constructive points for the hotel to resolve moving forward.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Matt H, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay, we are so glad that you found the hotel such a plesant experience. Thank you for the constructive feedback, this will help us improve our guest experience.
Please comeback and see us soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (619)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night as I was attending a hen party in Birmingham location was perfect for gatecrasher, only a few mins walk away. Rooms were clean and spacious and bathroom was really good.Even though the hotel was full the reception staff still managed to change the rooms around so all of our party were on the same floor, would definitely stay here agian.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
We are so glad you enjoyed your Hen night and that we could look after you during your recent stay in Birmingham. Thanks for the kind feedback and we look forward to seeing you again soon. Good luck with the wedding.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

Very nice hotel, good value with breakfast included. Decided to take second room on spot and was not over charged. Room exceptionally clean and well appointed. Only problem was the shower tap came off in my hand. However I was still able to operate it so no real problem but along with the fact that the windows are sealed it meant it did not score a five. There is however air conditioning so the room temp could be controlled. The room was opposite the lift and I never heard a sound from it or the other guests.

Room Tip: As for a high floor as the lower rooms could possibly hear noise from Broad Street which has a lot o...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
We are so glad that you enjoyed the family trip to the Midlands. Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. Sorry for the minor tap incident and we are glad it didn't spoil your stay.
Please come back soon to visit us in Birmingham - Why not try our Summer Cadbury's World Package for you and the kids.
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

I am disappointed that I have to give this hotel a bad review. I really wanted to like this hotel but unfortunately, this was not the case. I travelled with my younger sister and cousin. We had a twin room for them and a double room for me. My room was on the 8th floor and at the front of the building. Needless to say I did not sleep a wink either night with the noise from the street. I do understand this is out of the hotels control. However, on the second night, I was woken by a couple arguing and screaming outside the door of my room. Joyful. Apart from the noise, the room itself needed some attention. A few small fixes such as the shower tray, seemed to be blocked, filled up within minutes so shower had to be quick. One of the blinds did not come down the full way, which let a lot of light in. had to improvise and block this with pillows.

In relation to service I did not have much experience but what I did have was not overly good. When I was checking in, I was told I had to pay upon arrival, I didn't have a problem with this as I was planning to anyway, however the man checking in beside me, (who had never stayed before I overheard) was given the option if he wanted to pay now or upon departure. I couldn't help but wonder was this because I was a young woman (27) with 2 teenagers (18 &20) as guests? Breakfast in the hotel was nice, and a very good selection.
In the morning, a knock came at about 9.30 to see if I needed room service, I was just out of the shower so I had to decline, I did think this was a bit early to be coming around.

Finally when I was checking out, I asked the lady behind the counter if she could call us a taxi (which she did not have a problem to do the night before) but instead this time I was handed a card and told to call the number on it to get a taxi. As our phones could not call UK numbers, the 3 of us went out onto the street to find a passing taxi.

In summary, I would have like to have had a good stay but unfortunately, the good location and breakfast is not enough to sway us to stay again. I did feel treated differently because of our age. The only other interaction we had was with the security guard at the door who was very polite.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank travelot07
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. All feedback is important in trying to improve our guest delivery. We have taken your comments to the team and are currently working to improve the guest journey.
westmidlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed for two nights and from check in to departure we were more than happy the room was very clean and during our stay it was cleaned towels and and coffee etc all renewed. The staff on reception did seem a tad stresssed but little wonder with the amount of commings and goings the hotel seemed very busy when we were there which Im sure is probably normal for a city centre. The Location is ideal and although I was a little worried about noise as we were on Broad Street I requested a higher room and heard little to no street noise. The breakfast is a good selection of cereals fruit yoghurts,and cooked selection.

Room Tip: Higher rooms avoids street noise
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for your kind feedback, the Hampton team love it when our guests have a great experience and are so glad that you took the time to recognise the team.
We very much look forward to seeing you again in the very near future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

Stayed in this hotel with a ticket bought for cricket match which included stay here. Staff was great, quick and friendly. Quick check in and a very nice room. Few drawbacks like reception on 3rd floor which is written in very small writing on the ground floor. Breakfast was good but not that much sitting area.

Room Tip: top floor with great floors.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Matt H, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
We are so glad that you enjoyed the ICC cricket championships and we are so glad that we could look after you whilst in Birmingham.
Thanks for the constructive feedback around our signage and you should be pleased to know that we have acted on your feedback and ordered new signage.
We hope to see you again soon.
Taunton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

Recently made a second visit. We found service swift and good on Reception. Our 10th floor room was identical to the last one we'd had with bright and modern furnishings. It had a good firm queen bed with cotton bedding so we appreciated this comfort. Modern shower room with good fittings and cotton towels. Only problem was travelling in June the room temperature was rather warm and stuffy. Last time I visited the room wasn't warm enough and now the room was the other extreme!The air conditioning was working but it simply wasn't effective. Breakfast was good, plenty of choice and places to sit where you like to eat. Personally, I like the relaxed environment they have set up for breakfast. Just a ten minute walk in to the city so an ideal location for business or shopping trips. I would stay here again next time I am in Birmingham.

Room Tip: We paid £86 for our double room 1011. Just check the rates with an on line Hotel Booking site before...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for joining us again whilst in Birmingham, we are so glad that you decided to return to us for a second time.
Thanks for your feedback regarding our air con, our team are looking into this as we speak.
Please do join us again.