“Nice hotel on Broad St”

Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street
Ranked #17 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel, not too far away from the centre of Birmingham, the NIA and the Mailbox. Have to say that I was impressed by everything except the food. Both evening meal and breakfast were perfectly okay, but certainly pretty ordinary fayre.

Would definitely stay again, but would find somewhere else to eat.

• Stayed: March 2013
LauraWhiteHBH, Public Relations Manager at Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Good Afternoon Dominic T,

Thank you very much for your valued comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Hampton by Hilton. We are glad that you enjoyed your visit.

We always strive to provide the best service possible and the feedback that we receive on the product that we deliver is in many cases very positive. We offer breakfast as a complimentary extra and try to cater for a wide variety of tastes. We apologise that on this occasion, our breakfast offering did not match up to your expectations.

On a more positive note however, we would agree that we are perfectly located for a trip to Birmingham, with not only the ICC and NIA less than a five minute walk away, but also within easy access of local rail stations and the busy city centre shopping area.

Once again, thank you for your valued comments - we hope to be able to welcome you back to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Nice hotel, great location near lots of bars & restaurants, good hotel bar and decent breakfast (free for all residents). The rooms were decent, and reception being next to the bar on the third floor definitely gave the hotel a quirky touch.

The main downside of the hotel was that the rooms were absolutely freezing! Yes it was very cold outside, but the in-room thermostat didnt seem to do anything. Anytime you tried to turn it up, it flashed an error message saying "can only be controlled centrally". A long, cold night followed. At first I thought it was just me, but in morning all five of my party (in five different rooms on different floors) all commented on the same thing!

Decent hotel, but bring warm pyjamas!!!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
LauraWhiteHBH, Public Relations Manager at Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Good Afternoon sg17463,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent stay with us at the Hampton by Hilton hotel - we are glad overall you enjoyed your visit.

We were sorry to read that you had some issues with your heating system. Unfortunately, we were not made aware of the problem at the time and so were unable to resolve it for you during your stay. We are currently in the process of reviewing our heating systems to try and ensure that we eliminate any further similar issues in the future.

On a more positive note, we are pleased that you found our location to be so convenient - it's true that we are very lucky to have not only the ICC, NIA and city centre shopping area a short walk away but also a whole host of great bars and restaurants right on our doorstep!

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Stayed at the hotel with a group of disabled friends, 2 of us being wheelchair users.
When I arrived it took 10 minutes of ringing the bell, before ringing the hotel to gain access.
Next day, me and my fellow wheelie tried to get out, but there was no key for the wheelchair lift.
When a key was eventually found, we then found the door out was locked, taking another 15 minutes of fiddling with keys and managers climbing on tables to reach above the door to unlock it.

Why this door needs to be locked, I do not know, as non wheelchair users can just amble up the steps and come in at their leisure.

Had cause to call security at 1am after being awoken to swearing and punching of doors, this was soon dealt with, followed by a call back by the night staff to keep me updated.

Room cleaners trolley was in the way and no amount of calling out, made her come and move it.
Same happened the next day, but she heard me that time.

Room Tip: Don't bother if you're a wheelchair user, though the accessible rooms are spacious, once you...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank looprevil
Matt H, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

We are so sorry that your experience with us wasn't what you had expected. We have taken your feedback and are currently reviewing our service standards to ensure that this is rectified.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

I am a wheelchair user and I was happy to see they had accessible rooms.
My accessible room had no locking bathroom, a filthy accessible tap, literally black stuff hanging down when you ran the water and things falling out of the cupboard off the wall.

As I arrived I found the disabled entrance had no way to open it when arriving and the 'ring for assistance button' is not answered by staff.
Luckily a fellow disabled member of our group was coming out of this door to let me in.

As I went down for breakfast the first day I was faced with a housekeeping cart blocking the corridoor, I was lucky that the member of staff moved it for me.
So I went down to breakfast, with me I took some sausages I brought with me, after contacting the hotel well in advance due to a serious gluten allergy and being told bring your own we will cook them, I was surprised to have a member of staff come out and say 'you're not allergic to anything are you' I explained and I was told 'most people tell us in advance' and when I explained I had and what I had been told she in a most accusing tone told me 'we would NOT of told you to bring your own' and told me to have gluten free oats, which i am still unable to eat. I had no choice but to make do with a bowl of tinned grapefruit segments.
I then returned to my room got ready for my groups excursion that day.

Me and a fellow wheelchair user got to the lift to find it wasn't running. They couldn't find the key to start the lift. She then went back upstairs and returned with the lift key. When we got to the bottom we found the door was then also locked. This time she could not unlock it and returned with a fellow member of staff who had to stand on a table to unlock it.

We were told it should of been unlocked at 6am. Now able guests are free to come in and out of the hotel as they wish but should we of had to leave the hotel early we are not allowed as disabled guests.

We did complain and we had their assurance it would be sorted so we left it at that.

The following day it was the day of departure, I left my room with suitcase and my 6 year old daughter and found yet another laundry trolley in my way. I shouted for house keeping for 5 minutes and no one came in the end I had to send my daughter to knock for a fellow disabled, but not wheelchair using friend to move the trolley for me!
If she had of already checked out I would of been stuck there for an unknown period of time..
I then got a bit further down and was faced with laundry in the way again.

After saying good bye to the rest of our group we asked if there was a bus which would go to new street. After being told no we were told it was easier to walk... one woman in a wheelchair, one woman on crutches and a 6 year old with 2 suitcases in tow were advised to walk. A friend had walked the '10 minute' route she gave us and it took 30 minutes and she is one of our more mobile friends without suitcases.
So we requested a taxi, we made our way down to the lift again, i was relieved to find that the keys were in the lift. So as me and my 6 year old made our way down the lift it suddenly stopped. With no call help button on the lift I had to get my 6 year old to climb over me and climb down off the lift to try and get the attention of my companion who was waiting outside!
She then pressed the call for assistance button outside... which again had been ignored!
She then txt a friend who was in the bar and ran up the stairs with my 6 year old to get help.

When they came down they couldn't work out why the lift had stopped working then then went under the lift came back out and it was working they said something had been under the lift stopping it working, although I cant say I personally saw anything in their hands.

our taxi had then arrived and we found a very cross taxi driver who was annoyed the hotel had called the WRONG kind of taxi, despite knowing I used an electric chair they called a taxi for a manual. He did take us after hearing our lift issues but wasn't happy about it as it shouldn't of been a problem as they KNOW it was the wrong kind.

If it had JUST been my problems it would of been perhaps a bad mistake, but we had friends with no working toilet who were told 'use the 4th floor public toilet' despite being on the 12th floor. Another members toilet broke the night before we departed.
it almost seemed like every person in our party had something wrong with their room.

I would avoid this hotel if suffering from allergies or expect a working toilet in your room.
But deffinatly avoid if a wheelchair user... this hotel boasts being an accessible hotel but one where you can not leave or even enter when you want isn't really accessible!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank insonstis

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Hotel itself was decent, the room was nice, bathroom was clean, we were on the 15th floor and it was quiet no noise from the busy street outside, lifts were abit of a pain but didn't take too long to get to us. Breakfast was nothing more than expected, we don't eat pork so only hot food available was the potatoes/baked beans/egg. The staff that were in the breakfast area were really friendly, as were the cleaners too. However the staff at reception were actually rude to us. Whether it was because I didn't have my ID on me, we were a young couple, I don't know. But it wasn't a nice welcoming at all, it wasn't as if there were loads of people waiting to check in either as it was only us there at reception. Disappointed by their services as they are the first staff you see and you'd expect them to be really welcoming and polite, when in fact they were completely rude, one woman pulled a funny face when I said I didn't have my ID on me. Honestly if it wasn't for the quality of the room and where it was situated I probably wouldn't come here again because of how rude the staff at reception were. I can understand if they were really busy and had apologised but they didn't, they didn't even smile once when we got there, I can take it if they were not as welcoming because they were busy but they were just plain rude. And it wasn't a nice welcome to Birmingham or the hotel at all.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank chloe435
LauraWhiteHBH, Public Relations Manager at Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Good Afternoon chloe435,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us some feedback on your recent stay with us at the Hampton by Hilton hotel.

We are really disappointed to read that you weren't satisfied with the quality of service that you received upon check-in. I have passed your comments on to the Front of House manager who is going to investigate the matter further. We pride ourselves on the service and the product that we offer, and apologise that on this occasion the welcome that you received on the front desk did not match up to your expectations.

On a more positive note, we are glad that you found our rooms to be both clean and comfortable and that you managed to enjoy a peaceful nights sleep.

Once again, thank you for your valued comments. We hope to be able to welcome you back to stay with us again at some point in the future.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Having really enjoyed my stay at two Hampton hotels in the UK before, I needed a place to stay in Birmingham and so the choice of this hotel was almost natural. It was quite a disappointment. Not sure if their website mentioned a designated car park, but I happened upon it by chance, at the rear. It takes you up to the roof but on Saturday night, I had to squeeze into the last spot. There's only 1 elevator that takes you from the reception area to the car park, so if you happen to be in one of the other elevators, you always need to change lifts. A bit confusing for first time guests. Situated on Broad Street, this hotel was VERY busy as is the street below. Make sure you get a room on a higher floor. I was on the 11th floor and could still hear the street noises below at night. What bothers me most was that the lounge of this Hampton felt so much messier than the other Hamptons I stayed in (Newport and Croydon). Too much furniture everywhere? Not clean enough because it was so busy (too many hen & stag parties watching sports on tv)? And while helpful, the reception staff were very casually dressed, one female assistant looked like she was ready to nip over to her fave alternative pub down the road after work. I don't insist on formal wear but I think a hotel this standard should also have a certain standard for the staff working the front office? Unfortunately, none of the nice food and Pimm's cocktails that the Croydon hotel had on offer. The girl at the bar was new. So new that when I asked for Pimm's she had to ask the bar manager about it, then poured me a large amount of Pimms into a glass and that was it. I had to ask about the lemonade and fruit but she said no this is Pimms you asked for Pimms this is what you get. The bar manager pointed out to her that yes she had to add soda or lemonade to it. So yes the girl was VERY new and apparently not experienced with serving drinks. Thumbs up to Hampton Croydon for a great Pimms with all the trimmings! Breakfast was included and I was pleasantly surprised at the selection offered. It rivals Premier Inn's 8.95 pound all you can eat breakfast. But honestly, although I love Hampton generally, I think I will give the Birmingham edition a miss next time. PS Airconditioning still didn't work I wanted the heater on but that didn't work.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ciska2013

Good Afternoon Ciska2013,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent stay with us at the Hampton by Hilton hotel.

Obviously being located right in the heart of Birmingham's nightlife district, we are a very popular choice for both stag and hen parties. However, we have extra staff available on such occasions where a number of parties are booked in at once in order to ensure that disruption to our other guests is kept to an absolute minimum. We always strive to provide the best service possible and the feedback that we receive on the product that we deliver is in many cases very positive. We apologise that on this occasion, our hotel bar and lounge area did not match up to your expectations.

On a more positive note, we are glad that you enjoyed our breakfast offering. We are very proud to be able to offer each of our guests a complimentary breakfast and try to offer enough variety and choice to be able to cater for all tastes.

Once again, thank you for your values comments.

Many Thanks,

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Recommended by business colleague to stay here on visit to Birmingham event at the ICC. Very handy for this and other good bars and restaurants very close by. Hotel has quirky entrance but once you find yourself to the 3rd floor check in it feels like a regular hotel.
I parked my car in the hotel car park - I just wished the website was clearer as to where the entrance to this was as I spent a few minutes in the local side streets try to find it.
The room was fab with panoramic views over the city from my corner room on the 14th floor. The bathroom was spotless and well appointed and I loved the walk in shower.
I didn't dine in the evening but found the breakfast a bit too casual for my liking - it felt like having breakfast in your lounge with 100 other people. I also found the temperature a little over bearing in the reception area.
Overall, this is a great value and well located hotel and one I shall keep my eye on for future special weekend deals.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as high as you can (goes up to 17th floor) as views are fantastic - if you don't...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Good Afternoon Norfolk-MB,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know what you thought about your recent stay with us at the Hampton by Hilton hotel, we are glad that you enjoyed your visit.

We would agree with you that we are very lucky with our location - not only are we ideally placed just a five minute work from the NIA and ICC, but are also fortunate enough to be able to offer a whole variety of bars and restaurants right on our doorstep.

We also share your thoughts about the marvellous views of the city that you can experience from our higher placed rooms. One a clear day, you can see across the whole of the city and we find that the view is just as spectacular when it is all lit up at night too!

Once again, thank you very much for your kind comments - we hope to be able to welcome you back to stay with us again in the future.