“Perfect Breakfast”

Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street
Ranked #17 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Room was very nice with great views of Birmingham, bathroom floor had some hairs though. Staff really out of their way to avoid eye contact and not greet guests with a common "good morning". Best part was the breakfast, best breakfast ever at a hotel, wish my stomach was bigger.

Room Tip: High floor

Reviewed December 9, 2012

I have previously stayed at Jury's on Broad Street whilst on business, but wanted a change and tried the Hampton Hilton. I was very pleasantly surprised by what I found. The hotel is excellently located on lively Broad Street. Rooms are spotlessly clean with modern fittings. The breakfast buffet is more than ample. I would strongly recommend this hotel to anyone who places an emphasis on excellent value for money, clean, modern conditions and accessibility to the city centre. In summary, a great overall experience.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 7, 2012

We arrived at the hotel enterance and was welcomed by two maintenance staff making the Christmas trees in lobby area they informed us that the reception area is on the 3rd floor and even helped with our luggage into the building. The service at reception was great they made us feel welcome and they even advised us where to go out on the evening for a decent meal. Great recommendation at Shimla Pinks. our room was execptional they are modern and very clean and the free breakfast was a bonus. overall i would recommend this to my Freinds and family

Thanks for the pleasant stay

Room Tip: great View of Birmingham from High room
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I stayed here on Sat 2nd December for one night with one of the girls. We were going to a club that night, 2 mins walk away. So the location was fab! Hence one of the reasons why we booked the hotel.

The room was lovely. We had a double bed, tv and lovely bathroom. The room had 3 mirrors in (designed for girls, with a floor length one too!). Also had coffee and tea making facilities.

We were on the 8th floor. View wasn't great. But you don't stare out the window.

Breakfast is from 6-10am. There isn't much choice in the hot food; burnt sausages, beans, scrambled egg, only just cooked bacon and some potato croquetes. There were 2 choices of mini muffins and orange, apple or grapefruit juice. Was a self serve breakfast.

The service in the hotel I found was disgraceful! There was only one person on the reception desk who I found helpful!

I was stood waiting to check into the hotel for 20mins! After a 3hr car journey. This is not what I wanted and after the stress of finding the onsite car park!

The onsite car park is only accesible by using one lift out of the 4 in the hotel. It's not labelled anywhere saying this though!!! Not even a printed out sheet of paper!!! The stairs to get to level 2 are labelled 'FIRE EXIT ONLY' and there isn't a sign saying level 2 carpark on the stairs once you walk down to them.

The carpark, finding it was a nightmare. My friend and I drove around in circles! All we could see was a sign on the side saying "hotel carpark". Bearing in mind there are about 5 other hotels near the Hilton! So we guessed. Luckily guessed right!

The carpark is £10 for 24hrs which I think is normal.

The reception staff were useless. To put it straight to the point! I was stood at the reception for 3 minutes. It was empty. A reception girl walked past, looked at me and carried on walking, talking to her friend! Her friend looked at me and then walked off. Then a girl who had been stood there doing nothing, finally said 'are you waiting?'. I asked for comment cards and they don't do them apparently!!! I was asked to write on a piece of paper. Then I overheard a girl saying, it'll go.straight in the bin once she turns around!!!
Appauling!!!

Hotel was fab. Staff were not_!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank charliewar
Reviewed December 5, 2012

An unattractive tower block on Broad Street, the hotel is actually well decorated and pleasant inside. Room size is no more than adequate but they are comfortably furnished, generally well equipped and the decoration is fresh. Bathrooms are modern with large, walk-in showers instead of baths - a big plus for me. Breakfast is included in the room rate and is adequate, if not much more.
The problems come with a) heating and b) staff.
I stayed three nights last week, one night this week. Last week I had to ask reception twice to check the aircon because it wouldn't work properly. Last night I froze because the system simply would not work at all, it refused to blow either hot or cold - and it was -2 outside. My colleague last week had a similar problem and I overheard several other guests complaining to reception about the lack of heating. There would seem to be a fundamental system problem.
Reception staff are generally poorly trained and lack any understanding of customer service. They're not actively rude but have an overall "I don't care" attitude and are very offhand with guests.
This is an attractive, well located hotel but I'm not prepared to freeze - I have cancelled my reservation for next week and will not be going back.

Room Tip: Make sure the heating works...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Ashley H
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights on Friday 30 Nov and Sat 1 Dec. Location is good, right on Broad Street which has many bars, clubs and restaurants. Despite this, there was no noise, and we had a good nights sleep.

The room was great, modern and very roomy.

The bathroom was huge, great hot shower.

Would stay again.

1  Thank karl100100
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Booked two rooms through booking.com for a one night stay on 1st Dec. 2012. Arrived at noon and left luggage and got usual receipt. Advised receptionist we would return following a family wedding after midnight and she marked this on the computer system.. Returned at 1.30 am to be told rooms had been double booked and nothing for us!! Waited for about one hour nothing suitable found as we were told there may be something at NEC or in Walsall which is very near to home. Left at 2.30 am and returned home by taxi and had to go back to Birmingham next day to get car. Not what you expect. Blamed on internet bookings and informed that this was not the first time such a thing had happened.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family