“Fab hotel but customer service isn't what you'd expect!”

Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street
Ranked #19 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
“Fab hotel but customer service isn't what you'd expect!”
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I stayed here on Sat 2nd December for one night with one of the girls. We were going to a club that night, 2 mins walk away. So the location was fab! Hence one of the reasons why we booked the hotel.

The room was lovely. We had a double bed, tv and lovely bathroom. The room had 3 mirrors in (designed for girls, with a floor length one too!). Also had coffee and tea making facilities.

We were on the 8th floor. View wasn't great. But you don't stare out the window.

Breakfast is from 6-10am. There isn't much choice in the hot food; burnt sausages, beans, scrambled egg, only just cooked bacon and some potato croquetes. There were 2 choices of mini muffins and orange, apple or grapefruit juice. Was a self serve breakfast.

The service in the hotel I found was disgraceful! There was only one person on the reception desk who I found helpful!

I was stood waiting to check into the hotel for 20mins! After a 3hr car journey. This is not what I wanted and after the stress of finding the onsite car park!

The onsite car park is only accesible by using one lift out of the 4 in the hotel. It's not labelled anywhere saying this though!!! Not even a printed out sheet of paper!!! The stairs to get to level 2 are labelled 'FIRE EXIT ONLY' and there isn't a sign saying level 2 carpark on the stairs once you walk down to them.

The carpark, finding it was a nightmare. My friend and I drove around in circles! All we could see was a sign on the side saying "hotel carpark". Bearing in mind there are about 5 other hotels near the Hilton! So we guessed. Luckily guessed right!

The carpark is £10 for 24hrs which I think is normal.

The reception staff were useless. To put it straight to the point! I was stood at the reception for 3 minutes. It was empty. A reception girl walked past, looked at me and carried on walking, talking to her friend! Her friend looked at me and then walked off. Then a girl who had been stood there doing nothing, finally said 'are you waiting?'. I asked for comment cards and they don't do them apparently!!! I was asked to write on a piece of paper. Then I overheard a girl saying, it'll go.straight in the bin once she turns around!!!
Appauling!!!

Hotel was fab. Staff were not_!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank charliewar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (632)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 5, 2012

An unattractive tower block on Broad Street, the hotel is actually well decorated and pleasant inside. Room size is no more than adequate but they are comfortably furnished, generally well equipped and the decoration is fresh. Bathrooms are modern with large, walk-in showers instead of baths - a big plus for me. Breakfast is included in the room rate and is adequate, if not much more.
The problems come with a) heating and b) staff.
I stayed three nights last week, one night this week. Last week I had to ask reception twice to check the aircon because it wouldn't work properly. Last night I froze because the system simply would not work at all, it refused to blow either hot or cold - and it was -2 outside. My colleague last week had a similar problem and I overheard several other guests complaining to reception about the lack of heating. There would seem to be a fundamental system problem.
Reception staff are generally poorly trained and lack any understanding of customer service. They're not actively rude but have an overall "I don't care" attitude and are very offhand with guests.
This is an attractive, well located hotel but I'm not prepared to freeze - I have cancelled my reservation for next week and will not be going back.

Room Tip: Make sure the heating works...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Ashley H
Neath
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights on Friday 30 Nov and Sat 1 Dec. Location is good, right on Broad Street which has many bars, clubs and restaurants. Despite this, there was no noise, and we had a good nights sleep.

The room was great, modern and very roomy.

The bathroom was huge, great hot shower.

Would stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank karl100100
Burntwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Booked two rooms through booking.com for a one night stay on 1st Dec. 2012. Arrived at noon and left luggage and got usual receipt. Advised receptionist we would return following a family wedding after midnight and she marked this on the computer system.. Returned at 1.30 am to be told rooms had been double booked and nothing for us!! Waited for about one hour nothing suitable found as we were told there may be something at NEC or in Walsall which is very near to home. Left at 2.30 am and returned home by taxi and had to go back to Birmingham next day to get car. Not what you expect. Blamed on internet bookings and informed that this was not the first time such a thing had happened.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Robert S
Shropshire
Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for a girly trip this weekend. Hotel ideally located at the end of broad street and doesn't look much from the outside but don't let that put you off. When you get into the hotel it is lovely. Rooms of a decent size an lovely decor. Staff were really helpful and friendly. Our stay included breakfast which was nice, lots to choose from. I have read some reviews complaining about the lack of choice which wasnt the case. I also heard another guest moaning to staff that she wanted fried eggs which wasn't available and calling the staff liars when they explained they are not on the menu. If this is all people have to moan about then they need to get a grip. I wouldn't recommend this hotel as it is value for money and clean.

• Stayed December 2012
Scotland
Reviewed December 1, 2012

It has taken us 5 years to find a good budget hotel in Birmingham, but i have to say this hotel was a pleasant surprise from the outside it looked the same as the Travelodge we stayed last year but into the lift and up 3 floors we where very surprised a lovely clean reception area, we where checked in and off to our rooms on the 5th floor.
our Rooms where very clean and well appointed bathroom spotless with a large walk in shower with loads of hot water.
The breakfast in the morning was buffet style and again plenty of the usual breakfast items, always well stocked.
if i had one niggle was the bar service was a tad slow you had to shout over to the reception to get service also the started to cash up at 22:30 so i handed over a £5 note for a drink and im still waiting for my change but if thats all i have to complain about i won't bother.
I can say now we will book this hotel again next year for our annual visit to Motorcycle live.
Thank you Hilton for bringing a quality budget hotel to Birmingham you are needed in that city because all the other budget hotels around you are terrible.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Stafford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I stayed here whilst attending a function in Birmingham, I usually stay in the Burlington in the city center but as I was spending the evening in the Fiveways area this was closer. The room was perfect, clean, comfortable. What let the hotel down for me was the staff. Upon check-in the receptionist was miserable, no "Welcome to the Hampton" no smile, nothing, it was like it was an inconvenience to her, she probably spoke about 6 words to get my name, card and give me my key.

We all have bad days so I didn't say anything thinking it was a one off, only to have a repeat experience on checkout, no "How was your stay?" or "do you want me to call a taxi", it felt like the staff didn't really care which is not what i have come to expect from the Hilton family of hotels.

When i'm paying the same price as I would to stay in the Burlington i would expect the same quality of service, if not better from the Hilton chain, but the level of service doesn't live up to that of its bigger brothers.I will not be stopping again any time soon.

Room Tip: Book a different hotel. If you do stay here avoid the rooms by the elevator or you will be woken up...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo