“Avoid if you want a relaxing experience.”
Review of Oak Tree

Oak Tree
Ranked #987 of 2,204 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Kids, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Avoid if you want a relaxing experience.”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

TL;DR: Won't be returning. Rude staff. And we'd suggest anyone else has a try at the many other local pubs around the area.

Been here a fair few times (just for convenience as we live down the road – and value really!). In fairness, the food has got better; they've had a fair few refurbishments and menu changes recently, (prices slipped up a fair bit too). However the service is shockingly bad and there's always something to complain about.

We had someone with us who wanted to swap garlic bread for chips (as they are yeast intolerant) and the server we had was very rude about it. VERY rude. Appreciate being a waitress can be tough at times and she may have been stressed, but there was no need to be so snotty about it.

She said they can't do that as it 'costs them more to put chips on the plate'! RIDICULOUS. Even though we pointed they are the same price on the extras menu – she was having non of it. Never usually have a problem at other restaurants.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank KieranJA

Stourbridge, United Kingdom
“Avoid”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I would avoid this restaurant at all costs.
We went there when members of my family decided this would be a good place to meet up. Oh were they wrong. Whenever I see 2 for 1 restaurant alarms bells start to ring. What can I say I wasn't wrong. We sat down and looked at the menu and if I'm quite honest I found it very limited. What shall I choose ridiculously loaded burgers which should be entitled heart attack on a plate, chicken or steak. However I opted for a ribeye steak and my partner opted for the sirloin. We were both edging our bets that this would be a pretty south option. Oh boy was we wrong.

Both our steaks were drier than the Sahara desert. These steaks were allegedly supposed to come with a peppercorn butter. I did have my contact lenses in and could not see anything which slightly resembled any kind of butter. After trying our steaks they were both tasteless. The steaks were presented with chips and onion rings.

The onion rings looked very sad for themselves, casper the ghost has more colour in him and they were crying out for a few more minutes in the frier. Both steaks were tasteless and my partner asked for some peppercorn sauce, the server behind the bar informed us that it was no problem. A few minutes later peppercorn sauce was brought to the table and it was more watered down than a Turkish all inclusive.

My brother opted for a chicken dish and I would say that Kate moss has bigger breasts than that which was presented to him.

The service is appaling. We were part of four groups paying separately and asked if we could pay separately. The look from the server said it all and suggested that I'd awoken him up on day and told him Santa wasn't real.

When the bill came it was pleasant to see that they had charged us for the watered down delightful peppercorn sauce, x3!!! We werent told about this and pointed it out to our most delightful helpful server. His response back was yes there is a charge for it, when my partner said we are not paying he said "you are paying, you requested the sauce". At this point I could feel my blood boiling and left it to my partner to deal with. He continued to say he could do nothing and we would have to pay for this. We asked to speak to the manger who spoke to us a few minutes later and explained situation.

After a little bit she informed us that THIS once she would waiver the fee but gave us some excellent advice of "YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR OUR SAUCES AND PLEASE REMEMBER THIS IF YOU EAT IN ONE OF OUR CHAINS AGAIN". Well upon hearing this I wanted to say a number of things but I can safely say I won't be eating in any of these pubs again.

I'm not used to eating in these kind of establishments and have to admit it was not a pleasant experience. One final thing too, they had no ice.....a pub with no ice! How novel!

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank Chamone83
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Horrible experience”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

My partner and myself decided to go there for lunch last week. The service was horrific the staff were shouting across to one another from one end of the bar to the other. Waited ages to be servered, didn't have the food we wanted. The place was empty but they took ages to remove our plates and they were all just vile towards us never go there again and wouldn't recommend it to anyone !!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Cush11
“Just Rude”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I'm not normally one to complain but am in Birmingham on Business. I went into the Oak Tree on my own at 8:30 on a Tuesday and was shown to a table. After about five minutes I'd perused the menu and chosen what I wanted. To my dismay the manager then came and told me that I couldn't eat because a party of 14 were booked in and the kitchen couldn't cope.
Disgusted is a good word. I am in the food and restaurant business and have never heard anything like it

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank Spaciecadet
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Some of my best meals ever have been here!!”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I have been here more times than i can count now, i got taken here the first time by my girlfriends parents a little while after i starting dating my current girlfriend and i found the staff so polite, the atmosphere lovely and the food beautiful, since then i have gone there over the last five years for valentines, anniversaries, other celebrations or just a nice meal out and can't think of once i or anyone else i have been with have been let down, the food is always cooked perfect, never to long waiting for a table or food, prices not changed much and been more than reasonable with the constant two for one offer and get really good portion size. I would defiantly recommend this to anyone in the area one the day or over a long period. The last great thing i would like to say about this place is the location, either before or after you meal you can go for a walk in the lickey hills which it just right turn off the roundabout that this restaurant is on, beautiful wood area to walk through if you park at the bottom or you can drive to the top and part and see the beautiful views from the top with a chance of catching the welsh mountains on a clear day!!

• Visited February 2013