“A good restaurant, but not authentic Korean”
Review of Miss Korea

Miss Korea
Ranked #1,255 of 2,291 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Korean
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Not sure, we went on a KGB deal last night and wanted to tell of our experience! Doesn't seem to have a website, but Qype has a review.
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I travel to Korea often on business so am fairly familiar with authentic Korean food. I was looking forward to eating here and seeing how the food in Birmingham compared with Seoul.

Firstly, none of the staff are Korean. Not that this in itself is a bad thing, but it would be nice to have some Korean staff in a Korean restaurant instead of all Chinese. All of the staff were friendly and efficient though, so we had no complaints with the service.

I found the food to be a disappointment though. While they had many of the normal Korean favorites, our food tasted very bland compared to authentic Korean. We ordered bulgogi, which didn't come with any of the normal side dishes, we even had to ask for lettuce.

If you had never been to a Korean restaurant before, then this place would be fine. But if you've already been exposed to proper Korean food, then you're probably going to end up disappointed.

2  Thank Doug_1970

Reviewed September 25, 2012

From a Korean's perspective, I didn't find food at Miss Korea at all authentic or tasty. I could have made a better Bibimbap myself; Yuk-Kae-Jang tasted like mild beef stock; Kimchi-Jeon too sweet; Sam-Gyup-Sal tasted like cardboard.

I was surprised how Kimchi-Jeon and Hae-Mul-Pajeon were on desserts menu.... Just because the English translation is "Kimchi pancakes" and "Seafood pancakes" doesn't mean they are dessert material - far from it! The waiter who served me wasn't familiar with the menu, which made me having to point out the dishes one by one with my finger.

I was also appalled by how they refuse to serve tap water. Yes, bad for their profit - but shouldn't they still serve it if the customer wants it?

8  Thank jhwang0204
Reviewed September 1, 2012

This is an interesting restaurant if you want to try something new..My Husband is gluten intolerant and the manageress doubled checked every dish was suitable before we ate..The customer service was excellent.There is a great selection of appetizers, we had King Prawns is spicy tempura batter, pork dumpling soup, with sweet and sour seaweed, all delicious..For mains we had spicy chicken and beef marinated in garlic, chilli and sesame oil. This we cooked on a BBQ plate in the middle of the table or we could have cooked in the kitchen.. Who knows any chef who would let you cook in their kitchen..!!! There are several dipping sauces that complimented the meat well..
We experienced and tasted new flavours..Great fun for all the family..
Cost for 3 people £55 including drinks.

1  Thank Louisesy
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Great to discover you can get tasty, authentic Korean food in Birmingham. Good service and not expensive. Will be back for more.

Reviewed June 17, 2012

With only one review for this restaurant (and a bad one at that), I didn't have high hopes. But, my wife really wanted to have some Korean food before a concert (Symphony Hall, a 10min drive away). So, this is the only Korean restaurant we could find in Birmingham.

It has a car park directly opposite. The restaurant is on the edge of China Town, and looks ok from the outside. On entry, its clean and tidy, nothing glamourous but pleasant. The menu is very Korean I think, although I think some of the staff were Chinese (not surprising in China Town). The menu had a heavy BBQ component, with the option to have BBQ bucket on your table to cook the food, or pre cooked by the chef. We opted for the later, as had limited time.

There were also the famous spicy cabbage dishes and soups. A good idea was to have option of jugs for juice/drinks, at reduced cost, which is good especially if your driving...plenty of juices to chose from too.

The food was fresh, plentiful, good value and really tasty. Lamb skewers went down a treat, as did the beef in beer and sliced pork dishes.

The only thing I could fault was no hand drier in the small gents toilet. Waitress was friendly, polite and attentive.

Would go again, its a really good addition to the cuisine availble in Birmingham China Town.

1  Thank Tiberious_ok