“Lovely afternoon tea and tasty evening meal”
Review of Aalto Restaurant

Aalto Restaurant
Ranked #691 of 2,291 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Afternoon tea was very nice. Lovely selection of finger sandwiches, scones and dessert tray. All served with quality Twinings tea. The area where tea is served is very nice and relaxing.

Evening meal.
Three delicious courses. We had a goats cheese starter and crab mayo starter. Goats cheese was nice. The crab was nice too, however the mixed crab tasted better without the additional sauce that was served with it.

For mains we had lamb and chicken. The lamb was served pink which I've never had before as I'm a bit cautious about making sure my meat is cooked. However, when the lamb was served it was delicious. Sliced easily and went down beautifully. Served with beans and potato and gravy, all the flavours combined beautifully. The chicken dish was also cooked to perfection. The chicken was extremely succulent and again went well with the mushrooms, spinach, potato and gravy it was served with. The combination of flavours was very good.

For dessert we chose the strawberry sundae and chocolate fondant. One of the best sundaes I've ever had. Can't put my finger on it but however they constructed the sundae it worked. The chocolate fondant was excellent. Lightly crispy on the outside and warm and gooey when you broke it open. Served with delicious ice cream.

As the meal was for a birthday, the staff also made a nice truffle tray with happy birthday written in chocolate.

All in all a fantastic romantic experience. The ambiance of the restaurant is lovely and the staff attentive and friendly. Would definitely visit again for both afternoon tea and evening meal.

JJPRB2007, General Manager at Aalto Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2013

The quality of the food served at Aalto Restaurant is something that is really important to our head chef, Dan Pearce, and indeed to all of us here. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit and were particularly impressed with your food. Hope to see you again on your next visit to Aalto Restaurant. Kind regards, Jane Riley

Reviewed August 26, 2013

We visited on a Friday evening enjoying a pre-dinner drink in the bar listening to the pianist. The restaurant is stylish but relaxed, perhaps best appreciated in evening rather than lunchtime dining. The staff were very good. The restaurant manager was friendly and accommodating and the waitress friendly and polite. The food is modern British and very good. Dorset crab with fennel and orange was a refreshing and tasty starter. Rump of lamb with a rich jus with a twang of rosemary and minted peas was a harmonious main (although a few more minted peas and a few less of the french beans and mange tout would have given my main perfect balance - but this is a minor quibble with a meal which was very good). The only disappointment we had was the big delay between courses, we were in no hurry but were somewhat hungry by the time starters arrived and felt sorry for the waitress who was rather embarrassed in having (voluntarily) to apologise for the extended wait between courses. The waitress very helpfully organised us a taxi after the meal back to the station - the walk from New Street station to Hotel Latour is perhaps not through the best part of the city so we thought a taxi the best option at night but this will no doubt not be the case as and when the rest of the regeneration of this part of Birmingham catches up with this stylish and enjoyable venue.

1  Thank SWF1001

thank you for your review and your kind words, I sorry you experienced a delay for food and this matter as been discussed at length with the Food and Beverage team.
I do hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back soon. Regards Jane Riley

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Afternoon tea is popping up all over Birmingham and I must say this is prob the best one I have had in Birmingham. Great value for money (I had a 2-4-1 voucher).
The sandwiches were freshly made and very tasty but it was the platter of desserts which were the best especially the mint and chocolate macaroons and the meringue with its apricot (or could have been peach centre) which just melted in your mouth. Delicious.
The only down point was there was no refills on the hot drinks that we were given.
The place itself has perfect decor and the service was good.

JJPRB2007, General Manager at Aalto Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Glad to hear you enjoyed your afternoon tea, it is something we work very hard at making sure we stay ahead on the competition Rachel ( our pastry chef) will be very pleased with your comments. I have passed on your comments about tea top ups with Chris ( Restaurant Manager) to improve for the future. Hope you find the time to come back soon. Regards Jane Riley

Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I visited here for Sunday lunch one afternoon following a trip to the bullring. What a change to have a nice Sunday lunch in nice surroundings in the middle of the city. Whilst you can get cheaper meals directly In the centre of bbirmingham I feel you'd be hard pushed to get a tastier lunch. Worth the extra few pennies!!!

Thank you very much for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to Hotel La Tour Birmingham. I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind regards, Jane Riley

Reviewed July 15, 2013

As a complete surprise, my husband arranged for me to celebrate my 40th birthday here in the private dining room with our family, including our 8yr old son. He said that in arranging this over several weeks through hushed telephone calls and guarded e-mails, he was dealt with really well with advice and consideratons offered as well as his requirements being tended to. From the minute we arrived and were greeted with pre-dinner drinks, it felt a very special place and that we were part of a great experience! The private room was chic and contempory and our waitress was lovely - friendly and attentive, making us feel welcome and at home. The food was glorious! Every course was delicious and well thought out. The chef agreed to come out to meet us and sent truffles on a 'Happy Birthday' plate which was a nice touch. There was good buzz from the main restaurant next door all evening and we never felt rushed.
This beautiful restaurant and it's wonderful staff could not have made my birthday any more special and it felt a huge privilege to spend the evening there! Thankyou.

It was our pleasure to help you celebrate your 40th Birthday and thank you for taking the time to write a review about Aalto Restaurant – I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit so much and I do hope to see you again soon. Kind regards, Jane Riley.