“quite successful food attractively presented”
Review of Aalto Restaurant

Aalto Restaurant
Ranked #648 of 2,279 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Went here on a slow Monday evening and appreciated very much the decor of the bar area and lobby, very design. The local bottled beers were quite fine. Our dinner was likewise successful with not a bad dish amongst the four of us. i had the Dorset crab and pork sheeks, exceedingly tender and well-spiced. the australian cabernet sauvignon petit verdot bland reasonable and aromatic. A champagne jelly for dessert, successful and never seen on restaurant menus on the continent any more. My friends liked their rib-eye steaks very much. Very friendly and efficient estonian waitress, Veronika.A few interesting breads to start. For the four of us the bill was 243 GBP with a 2à percent tip automatically added...hmmmm....no biggie.But this was fine dining there is no doubt!

JJPRB2007, General Manager at Aalto Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about Aalto Restaurant. I am pleased to hear that you were impressed with our standard of service and food. Customer service is something that we pride ourselves on and I am please Veronika impressed you all. Hope to see you again soon. Kind regards, Jane Riley.

There are newer reviews for Aalto Restaurant

Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel and had the pre-theatre meal which was excellent value. The starter, goat cheese tartlet was delightful. I had salmon which was very nicely cooked. My wife had risotto which I tried and would say was the best I have tasted for a long time - she also thought it was excellent. It's a very nice, modern restaurant with a really smart drinks area. The staff were all very friendly and we will definetly be going back!

JJPRB2007, General Manager at Aalto Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

The quality of the food served at Aalto Restaurant is something that is really important to our head chef, Dan Pearce, and indeed to all of us here. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit and were particularly impressed with your food. Hope to see you again on your next visit to Aalto Restaurant. Kind regards, Jane Riley

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Should have known better than to try Aalto again for a special occasion. My Wife was most upset with what we found on our second visit. Service standards had not improved, and if I were Mr wareing I would get my name taken from the advertising hoardings.
The menu was poor; like a cheap carvery, and the bar service slower than slow.
I had hoped that once in it's stride the restaurant and it's staff would provide Birmingham with another good hotel venue, but it's not to be.

JJPRB2007, General Manager at Aalto Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your visit to Aalto Restaurant, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. At Hotel La Tour, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest and your feedback is very important to us. I would like to confirm that we are taking the appropriate measures to address your concerns and prevent future occurrence.
I would very much like to discuss the matter with you in person and would appreciate it if you would call me on 0121 718 8000. Kind regards, Jane Riley

Reviewed May 12, 2013

This restaurant deserves high praise. The staff were extremely attentive and the food was fantastic. We had a lovely and pleasant meal. Not somewhere I would take my children, but great for a special occasion or just to treat yourself. Expensive but worth absolutely every penny!

JJPRB2007, General Manager at Aalto Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Thank you for your complimentary comments about Aalto Restaurant – the team will be delighted to receive such positive feedback. Kind regards, Jane Riley.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Just got back from Sunday lunch at Aalto, to celebrate our upcoming 10th wedding anniversary. What a wonderful experience we all had. We were looked after by Nico throughout, he saw to our every need and even arranged for chef to rustle up meals for our two children off the menu. The food was simply superb; succulent, tender lamb, roast beef to die for - and the puddings, wow! Even though I had a cheese board, it was so hard to choose between the selections. Most of our party went for the creme brulee, it looked really nice and sounds like it tasted as good as it looked.

I wouldn't say Aalto is a place for an every day dining event, but for a special occasion it certainly hits the spot!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about Aalto Restaurant. I am pleased to hear that you were impressed with our standard of service and food. Customer service is something that we pride ourselves on, within every department of Hotel La Tour – Nico and the team will be delighted to receive such glowing feedback. Hope to see you again soon. Kind regards, Jane Riley.