“Top quality boutique hotel”

Clayton Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #10 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed May 8, 2014 via mobile

Very impressed with this modern boutique hotel

Bedrooms and bathrooms tastefully decorated and very well equipped.

Huge modern long bar in lounge and comfortably appointed restaurant serving top quality food - - particularly impressed with the home-made desserts & pastries at breakfast (let down only by carton juice instead of freshly squeezed).

Very attentive and professional service throughout.

We were pleasantly surprised and impressed and would stay again without hesitation when visiting Birmingham.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,584)

Reviewed May 7, 2014

I've stayed at La Tour multiple times when working in the city, and have been impressed from start to finish on all occasions.

The rooms are well designed, and laid out - and are a level above any other hotel in the area at this price point.

Above everything else though, is the service. The staff are attentive and clearly well-trained, I actually observed the 'morning huddle' where staff get together and review trip advisor reviews to improve on service. How many hotels do this I wonder?

Small things I liked which make this hotel stand out for me - being able to get an espresso at breakfast, easy parking very close to the hotel and a media in/out breakout box in the room so that you can connect a PC/laptop and use the main television. This is standard in the US but somehow lacing over here in the UK. I applaud them for fitting them in these rooms.

Well done all, keep up the excellent work.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Fendersim
Reviewed May 6, 2014

I stopped in Birmingham recently for a football match and some shopping with my wife.
This hotel I picked up on Secretescapes for a B&B deal.
The hotel is very tastefully done and no expense on the look.
I liked the Bar area and the Staff were very attentive. A live singer both in the afternoon and evening was very nice and relaxing.
3 slight negatives. i) speed up your lifts they take ages and as there is only 2 it makes the wait seem longer and ii) employ more staff at breakfast and assign them sections to deal with a group of tables as this seemed poorly organised and iii) increase the quality of the food at breakfast as this was average at best.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 5, 2014

I am writing this in a cafe after just leaving this hotel. I decided to opt for the £85 a night rooms as I had been visiting a sick relative and wanted somewhere to relax before heading back to Leeds. I chose this hotel mainly for the free wifi because most hotels will make you pay for access. Firstly the wifi didn't work at all. Don't advertise free wifi if it doesn't work. I decided to pay the £10 for 24 hour access to 'better wifi' this also didn't work. I asked reception for help and they did send someone up to my room. The girl they sent didn't have any clue about wifi or internet the poor girl! I just gave up in the end. I requested a bath with my room which was advertised on the website. Apparently this didn't come with my type of room but one which was £20 more. The hotel phoned me constantly during the day when I was visiting my family. I did not know it was them but then realised it must've been as they emailed me shortly after asking if I wanted to change my reservation and pay more. I don't think this hotel is worth the money I paid and I was very disappointed with my stay. The room itself was nice, very clean but having no internet access was very annoying especially as I had travel to organise for today.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Jane R, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2015

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at Hotel La Tour, Birmingham, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Hotel La Tour, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest and your feedback is very important to us. I would like to confirm that we are taking the appropriate measures to address your concerns and prevent this from happening again.

We appreciate your feedback, as this helps us ensure we are always meeting the high expectations we set for ourselves and the standards our customers expect and deserve.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

Stayed recently on the bank holiday weekend. The hotel is bang in the centre near the Bull Ring. They have limited parking at the hotel but offer a deal to park at the Selfridges department store car park for £5 for as long as necessary which is great and only a five minute walk to the hotel.

We ate in the hotel restaurant on Sunday evening. There was no A la Carte menu only the fixed Sunday night offerings which were a little limited. My starter of prawn cocktail was very disappointing. Basically a whole shredded iceberg lettuce a sun-dried tomato bits of cucumber and few croutons and 6 very,very small prawns oh and a drizzle of rose Marie sauce 1/10.

However the main dish of roast chicken on a bed of creamed leeks made up for the starter. It's a shame our waitress couldn't really be bothered and was about as much use as a chocolate tea cup.

Overall the hotel is very modern and clean. Our room offered all the modern hi-tech features including free Wi-Fi large screen TV and air conditioning. Only thing I didn't like are the awful foam filled cheap pillows.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 2, 2014

A new hotel which offers new facilities. Unfortunately the surrounding area leaves a lot to be desired with groups hanging around - this is a shame as the hotel could be great (maybe council needs to be asked to move it's food distribution to another area?). The security inside the hotel was great (access via key pads) and the ambience in the hotel was fine however there are limited car parking (make sure you book before you arrive as it was full when I got there and had to park on open land adjacent) - they do have a discounted rate with Selfridges at the bull ring however this is locked and doesn't open until 8:00am - too late for business people leaving early next morning for meetings.
We ate at the restaurant which was average - very limited "gastro pub" menu (£32 for a very average rib eye steak) - burger looked great though and regretted not ordering that !
Rooms do not offer bottled water - nor do they have mini bars so pretty disappointed with that.
Bedrooms have been decorated to a high standard (depends on your preference on bedding which is polyester filled) and shower / bathroom were modern and clean.
By morning I was feeling pretty miserable about my stay at the hotel - however breakfast was superb and beautifully hot and well presented (mind I did get down at 6:30 when it opened)

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Michsixtysix
JJPRB2007, Manager at Clayton Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2014

Thank you for taking your time to leave a review we do appreciate it.
The area we are in was part of a huge development when we started work on it that was stopped with the anticipation of High Speed Rail. We work very hard with the council to make sure the area is kept a clean and tidy as it can be and do a lot of work on this ourselves. Parking has been an issue and we do the best we can but are still trying hard to source better options for our guests.
We do appreciate you telling us about your stay as it helps us to work on the areas that we can improve ourselves and use other information in our development or work with the local authorities.
I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again and assure you we will do everything we can to improve what we are doing.
Many thanks
Adrian Colman
Operations Director

Reviewed May 1, 2014

Stayed for two nights recently. Hotel is excellent for females travelling alone as plenty of security, each lift lobby has a lock, you have to swipe your key card to get to the corridors, this really assured me I would be safe and sound while staying there.

The rooms are beautiful too, I was in a standard room and it was perfect. Huge, comfortable bed, 32 inch tv, tea and coffee, safe, desk, wardrobe, rainfall shower in bathroom etc. I was told there was an audio system in the bathroom, but I could not get it to work the whole time I was staying there, but that is just a very minor point.

The hotel is absolutely beautiful, very contemporary, spotlessly clean, friendly, helpful staff and I doubt I would stay anywhere else in Birmingham now. I have previously stayed in the Hilton Metropole and the Marriott, neither of them come close to Hotel La Tour. It was also very quiet bearing in mind it is right in the centre of Birmingham, my room was on the 4th floor and I could only just hear the traffic outside.

The hotel is in a perfect location too, walking distance from the Bullring and the main shopping area, which was perfect for me. The Bullring also have plenty of places to eat too, so I didn't get a chance to try the restaurant in the hotel. I felt perfectly safe walking between the hotel, the Bullring and New Street station, even returning at 11pm one night.

One negative is that if you on 3 mobile forget about getting a signal anywhere in the building. It's non existent! Okay, two negatives, the wifi in the hotel isn't that brilliant either and constantly dropped while I was there. Trying to reply to emails and stay in touch became a bit of a nightmare.

I do have one other very small negative, after returning from a show at the LG Arena on the Sunday night of my stay no one was serving in the bar. I did ask at Reception and another member of staff I was in the lift with and they assured me there would be someone serving, but although there was still a few people in the bar, no staff were seen, so instead of getting a snack and a couple of drinks I ended up just going to bed. A little disappointing.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo