“modern classy and pleasant staff”

Clayton Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #9 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I can only restate what has already been said. We had a good deal and a nice room with excellent breakfast. A good central location, we would not hesitate to stay here again. We had a great dinner out at Purnells already booked so could not try restaurant but will next time

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
JJPRB2007, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback we appreciate it so much and are quite obsessive at trying to receive as much information from each guests stay as we can so that we can keep improving what we offer. Birmingham is an amazing city and is the home to the very best restaurants. I am so glad that you enjoyed Parnell’s it is one of our favourites as well.
Jane Riley

Write a ReviewReviews (2,543)

Reviewed February 11, 2013

As a young couple with a six month old baby we were worried we might not be trendy enough for this place, as it is the type of hotel we would have chosen before having our son. However the staff were excellent and immediately helped us out with luggage, cotbeds etc.
Breakfast was great and it was a wonderful stay from start to finish - many thanks to Damon, the night manager for all his help at 2am. The interior decor is also fab!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

It is so good to be replying to great feedback and makes us all very proud of Hotel La Tour and the team. It is important to us that every guests has good memories of their visit and I am so please that the team made this happen for you.
Please come and see us again soon, Jane Riley

Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed for 1 night at the beginning of February. We parked across the road in a NCP car park which, for hotel guests, has a discount rate of £5 per night. Not bad considering the location, a 2 minute walk to the Bull Ring. We were met at reception by really welcoming and helpful staff who informed us that we had been upgraded to an executive room. A good start.

Ou room number was 239 and early impressions were good. Although a small sized room, I thought the decor was modern and the bathroom was beautiful. White Co toiletries were very nice. Everything was digitally controlled. I suppose our biggest gripe in the room was the aircon. The lowest setting was 20 degrees, which for us was too hot. I called reception and was told they can remotely lower the settings, which they did to 18. So we left the room for dinner in the restaurant downstairs.

Dinner was a forgettable experience. Even though there were plenty of staff around, service was lacking. We sat down and nobody came for drinks order. It wasn't even busy at this stage although when we left it was about 3/4 full. when we ordered our food we also asked for drinks.

We weren't overly hungry had fish and chips, not adventurous I know but something I fancied. I thought the batter on the fish was overcooked but my wife liked hers. We had the cheese board for dessert and it arrived without explanation. The 3 cheeses were a bit soapy but I like strong cheese so again this could be down to my choice.

We went back to the room and the aircon was on 18 but was till too warm. Nothing could be done so we went ahead and had quite an unpleasant sleep.

Breakfast was self service and fresh. Check out was straightforward. A short walk back to our car and we were away.

As I said before, the location is superb and cheap parking nearby is a bonus. If I stayed again, I would definitely make sure the aircon was working properly before going out and I would give the restaurant a miss for dinner.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback, it is very important to us that we receive as much information as we can from all our guests but we know how time consuming this can be and make sure that we read and address everything.
I am glad on the whole that you had a good experience and that you would return. We have had a number of comments about the air conditioning in some of our rooms and are having work carried out to see what is failing with this from time to time and get this so it is perfect.
Your comments about Aalto are very concerning as our aim is to create something that is a first choice for residents in the hotel and outside guests. We won’t achieve this if we allow people to leave with the memories you have of your dining experience. I have gone through this with the team in the kitchen and we have now changed the way we prepare the fish and chips to make sure it is perfect each time it is served and have also worked with the restaurant team to ensure our service is greatly improved. WE have a number of new employees in the restaurant and it is a real failing that we allowed them to be in the restaurant without making sure they were trained to the standard they should be.
I do hope that you will stay with us again. Birmingham is an amazing city with a huge amount of choice for great restaurants which we are happy to recommend. If you can however do call back in to Aalto even if it is just for a dessert and I promise you that you will see a real improvement on your experience.

Many thanks again for telling us of your experience.Jane Riley

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I stayed at La Tour for a girl's weekend away and could not have asked for a better hotel exeperience. The staff were extremely attentive and the rooms were gorgeous, kitted out with all the mod cons and real attention to detail.
We dined at the restuarant and I have to say the food was exceptional. The location is very central so we were able to get the nightlife in no time.
I would highly recommed this hotel to anyone coming to Birmingham.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you so much for your kind comments we are delighted that you had a great stay in Birmingham and at Hotel La Tour. All the team read and share the feedback we receive and it is a great motivator when they read that their efforts have been appreciated.

Please come and see us again very soon.
Regards Jane Riley

Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night recently in an Executive room. Lovely hotel, very new, nicely decorated. Didn't have time to try out the bar/restaurant areas, but they certainly looked good.

Shame some of the immediate area around the hotel is looking a bit worse for wear but I'm assuming this is earmarked for redevelopment as well and you get a nice view of the bullring.

The room was lovely, well decorated, the bed was very comfortable and extremely spacious. I would think storage is a bit of an issue for longer stays, as whilst there is a wardrobe (situated behind a false wall behind the headboard of the bed) it is a bit on the small side. The other side of this "false wall" had the safe and the tea/coffee making facilities. The room included a desk and the chaise longue was a nice touch in this room.

A flat panel TV was mounted on the wall essentially at the end of the bed. Several TV channels were included, as was the option to record something to watch later which was very useful. There were also connectivity options (saw HDMI, USB & VGA) to allow you to connect a laptop or similar to play your own media through the TV.

Access to the room and corridor leading to the room were accessed using contact less card technology (just wave your card in front of the panel to unlock). Room controls were touch sensitive panels rather than switches and lights were controllable through the telephone which incorporated a large LCD screen, where you could also access a display of the local weather.

In the hotel lobby, computers are used to complete the check in and check out procedures. Although they had staff on duty to assist where needed. I parked in the Selfridges/Moor Street car park, 5 minutes walk away. The hotel has a deal in place whereby it only costs £5 to park. They validate your ticket when you check out, and you just use this to pay before you leave the car park. There was no time limitation to when i had to use the validated ticket by, so I was able to put my luggage in the car and do some shopping before leaving the car park a few hours later.

Would I stay here again? Absolutely, it is probably my preferred choice of hotel in Birmingham, at least for a shopping/sight-seeing trip, as it is ideal for the city centre. The room isn't the biggest but adequate for 2 people. Whilst I had a discounted non-refundable room rate, the full rate is still very reasonable for a hotel of this standard.

I think the only downside is the wi-fi. It is complimentary, but it is very, very slow. The 3G mobile network seemed faster. This is one area that could be improved upon in my opinion and is really the only thing that stops this from being a 5/5 review.

• Stayed: February 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such great feedback. We wish more people would do this as it really helps us to improve what we offer and also pat ourselves on the back for the things we get right!

When we started to build our hotel we were part of a city centre master plan that involved a lot more development. Three months in to our build it was announced the HS2 would come in next to us if it goes ahead. As you say this means that in 10 years we will be in the best place in Birmingham but in the meantime we have to work with what we have. This for us is to make Hotel La Tour worth finding and make our product and service better than the best. We work very hard on this and are constantly improving the hotel mostly through customer feedback like yours.
We are looking at the WIFI speed as it should be adequate for browsing the web and receiving email. There is a higher speed available for downloading large files at a charge but it seems from a few peoples feedback that are free Wi-Fi is not as good as it should be. We are addressing this and it will improve.
Thank you again for posting your memories of your stay and please come back and see us again soon. Regards Jane Riley

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Almost a year old now, this hotel was a gem on the edge of the city centre. Minimalist in style, the rooms are large with king-size beds. Large walk in shower and fully tiled bathrooms. A great base to explore Birmingham it is 10 minutes stroll into the city centre, the Bullring & Selfridge's. The bar is very reasonably priced and the bar snacks are good value for money. The reception was manned by Trey & Justin who were very good at recommending places to visit and good restaurants. Breakfast was pricey @ £15.95 but we found the Victorian Restaurant in Great Western Arcade which did a full English (2 of everything) with orange juice, tea/coffee and toast for £6, well worth the visit.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for leaving your comments following your stay with us and we are so pleased that you have good memories of your visit. Trey and Justin are great members of our team and it is good to hear they recommended so good things to do in the city. We think Birmingham is an amazing place to be and are always looking for the unique and unusual places that we can encourage our guests to go to. Your breakfast sounds as though it was gorgeous and when you come again there are some great artisan bakeries and coffee shops that are worth a look at.

Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

This is a pretty cool hotel. Very centrally located, and modern. Very reasonable rates too. Comfortable beds, excellent shower. Decent service on the whole, no problems bringing dental kit etc up, it's crazy how much of a chore some people think that is.

The only reason I haven't given this a 5 is I paid for an executive room, and to be honest I don't think you got that much for the extra cash, a small desk and a slightly bigger tv I think. I'd happily stay there again but wouldn't feel the need to pay for the exec room, although not too bothered as I mentioned the rates are already very reasonable.

Room Tip: No need to pay extra for Exec Room