Tripadvisor
Birmingham
3,055 results
All reviews harvey nichols mailbox car park mini bar mail box afternoon tea continental breakfast hotel bar club room standard room saturday night city centre bars and restaurants full english new street station stayed for one night following morning bull ring
Selected filters
Reviewed January 19, 2020

We visited Mal Maison today. Booked a table for Cream Tea as a treat, excellent service, good value for money.We chose the higher priced tea. Which included savouries, scones, mini cakes and lashings of tea. It didn't look aLot on the 3 tier slate tray. But was really filling, so much so that we took the huge scones cream and jam home in a goody box.. They must be used to goody bags as every waitress seemed to take on to the different tables. We asked to changed plate from savouries to sweets, They did so immediately with fresh cutlery as well. They kept topping up teas, service was although formal, efficient. It was really friendly, our waitress Julie (From Cognac!) was very attentive. With a great manner about her. Both my husband and I, had a really great time. We both were in the catering trade so are aware of any fauxpas that could be made.. Clearing and setting of tables, bringing extra cups,cutlery,plates, even cloth serviettes etc on a tray, with a cloth on. NOT just being handed them. ETC. These little things do make a DIFFERENCE. We will go again.
Karen and John Farrell

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
irina1931994, Manager at Malmaison Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the kind words following your visit to our Brasserie.

I hope that we will see you back with us very soon.

Reviewed January 19, 2020 via mobile

Sorry this is late while writing this review, well myself & my mother dined here 4th August 2019 & had the most wonderful Sunday lunch & o'dourves & would like to say how excellent & not only that the staff were very welcoming & helpful from management to the waitering staff. Would like to thank Laszlo, Ellie, Magda & Phil
Will definitely be dining here again in 2020

Date of stay: August 2019
Trip type: Traveled with family

Dear Louise,

Thank you for the lovely comments following your experience in our restaurant.

It is great to hear that we have got things right for you and that you have shared your feedback here on Trip Advisor. I will be sure that the team is thanked for making your experience memorable and we look forward to welcoming you here at Mal Birmingham.

Reviewed January 18, 2020

Just stayed for three nights at the Mal Maison and had a great experience. It is a nicely appointed and very comfortable hotel , the room , bed , bathroom and facilities were very good. The check in and service was very good. The Breakfast in the restaurant was excellent and was one of the best I`ve ever had in a UK hotel , we did not eat there any other times so can`t comment. The location is excellent with everything within walking distance and it is reasonable value for money if you book cleverly in advance. However the bar is not very good even if the bar man was, the beer is only sold in little glasses on draught and it is not good at all. The missus tried the Pina Coladas and they were good she said. Luckily for us the drinks were free as part of our package as we certainly wouldn`t have paid for the poor Moretti on draught. We would definitely stay there again , and probably will !.

Room tip: Nirvana suite
Date of stay: January 2020
irina1931994, Manager at Malmaison Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2020

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am very happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and we hope that you will be a regular visitor to us here at Malmaison Birmingham.

Reviewed January 14, 2020 via mobile

We booked a one night stay as a treat for the end of a week travelling around seeing friends. Our room rate included a two course meal and cocktail each in the restaurant.

Our expectations were high as friends had told us how fab this hotel was, but sadly we were left very disappointed.

Firstly our room a standard double was to say the very least, tired. The bathroom was a particularly poor finish, with tired floor tiles, lots of cracked sealant and a very cracked ceiling. The bed was comfortable but the pillows were just ridiculously soft. Added to this the fridge didn’t work, so nothing cold to drink later. The room took a turn for the worst at 4am when we awoke to running water, coming through the aforementioned crack in the ceiling, obviously from the room above. To finish off we put out a request on the door for fresh milk in the morning, which never materialised!

Then there was dinner. The restaurant is right next to their bar, which was playing sports on a huge TV, with pumping music like in a nightclub, which made talking in the restaurant all but impossible. Our cocktails and starters were both very nice. For main my husband’s cottage pie was served in a small skillet with about four carrots on a large plate and that was it! I had been pleased to see a separate vegetarian menu and chose the “handmade” beetroot burger with fries. When it arrived it was only slightly warm. After a mouthful I asked the waiter if they could heat it up and in fact they did me a complete new meal. However when it arrived this one was even colder than the first. Added to this the burger looked straight out the freezer and the slices of avocado were very hard and not ripe. I ate the bun and fries, but removed the cold burger and left it. I spoke with the waiter and asked to see a manager, like the milk the manager never arrived. The whole experience was just a huge disappointment. We never tried the breakfast as I couldn’t eat anything from a kitchen that sends out cold food.

The only good experience was when we checked out and dealt with Danielle on reception who was professional and very caring. We talked through our experience and she arranged for a refund on the food and room discount. She was very nice and as disappointed as us for our experience.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
irina1931994, Manager at Malmaison Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2020

Dear John,

I am very sorry to read that you were disappointed with your experience with us and my team has also asked me to share their sincere apologies. Your comments have been discussed at length with the relevant departments and all the corrective actions will be taken as needed. I am pleased to hear that Danielle has managed to discount your bill accordingly and I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future where we can showcase what Malmaison is truly about.

Reviewed January 13, 2020 via mobile

An overall nice place. Friendly staff good food. Only a short walk anywhere and parking is under the hotel. Walk through the mailbox shopping centre to more bars and restaurants. I would recommend and will go again could just do with a lick of paint in a few places but doesn't affect your stay

Trip type: Traveled on business

Dear BigMrV,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback with us. The team here in Birmingham are all working towards making the hotel a great place to relax & stay & I am glad that this came across during your visit.
I hope that we will see you back with us very soon.

Best regards,