“A bit different!”

Malmaison Birmingham
Ranked #22 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed March 29, 2007

A funky hotel, terribly dark with lots of low level lighting and mirrors.

Room clean and tidy. Massive bottle of shampoo and moisturises - enough for a family of 5 for a week!!!

No full length mirror in the room - and those that I could vaguely check myself out in had low level giant ikea like lamps hanging in the way!!

No particularly wonderful views from window.

Bar was a bit smoky and they were playing some awful music in the background through massive speakers in the wall next to us - the bass
was too loud and I couldnt hear my colleagues talking too well.

The food in the eaterie was very satisfactory as was the wine list. Felt slightly cramped in there though to be honest and after discovering the OPUS eaterie round the corner I prefer that completely. The gym was well equipped and opened at 7am. I could have dome with it openeing earlier though and I noted at 6.55am it was open - which was good for me.

The breakfast was a bit ropey and poor value. The oranges in the fruit section were 'off' (and tasted fermented) and upset my guts for the day. Service was excellent though.

Car park cost £17 for the night. CAr was ok - but a colleague with a Picasso (brand new the day before!) had had an attempted break in - and the rubber pulled out from around a section of window. So park directly under camera.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank BionicBanjo

Reviewed March 28, 2007

Great location in a nice area of the centre of Birmingham. Breakfast was also very nice. Parking is expensive (£15 for 12 hrs) so be prepared. The bar is lively and just off the street... go for a nice drink. Good all-rounder.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed March 20, 2007

hip modern hotel, which is really different from your typical
"boring" hotel room. Very nice designer furnishings in room. In heart
of Birmingham.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank MsRobynG
Reviewed March 19, 2007

My husband and I stayed in the Malmaison for one night on my birthday. The hotel is quite funky and the location is ideal for shopping and exploring Birmingham - with the added bonus of a good car park right next door.

We were initially disappointed that despite booking over the telephone the hotel had not warned us that they were in the progress of renovation work - especially as we were allocated a room on the same floor as the renovations! However, they did restrict noise to working hours as promised on arrival and it actually did not bother us.

The room (an ordinary double) was a good size and clean although starting to look very slightly worn - hence the renovations presumably. Housekeeping and reception staff were friendly and efficient.

Our room overlooked the inside of the Mailbox shopping centre and so was nice and quiet - the rooms overlooking the front of the hotel might be noisier as there is a dual carriageway just outside.

We had pre-ordered breakfast when we booked (which is cheaper) and it was very nice. We didn't try the hotel restaurant but could recommend Bank at brindleyplace which was excellent - and has an amazing cocktail bar!

Overall we had an enjoyable stay and would stay at the Malmaison again if we returned to Birmingham.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lucy_Jones
Reviewed March 17, 2007

I was pleasantly surprised by my stay at Malmaison - I had an awful time at the Malmaison in Edinburgh and had planned never to stay in one of their hotels again! As soon as I arrived I realised that in Birmingham they have a much higher standard of customer care - our check-in was easy and staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel was stylish and yet had an informal, relaxed atmosphere. The room was great - I especially liked the huge bed and fantastically plump pillows! It felt like a real treat to be there - it was even difficult to force ourselves out to the concert we were going to that night! I am definitely going to stay again.

Stayed: March 2007
1  Thank Gwen_Dragon
Reviewed March 6, 2007

My partner & I recently stayed at the Malmaison hotel in birmingham. We were down for the weekend visiting relatives, as it happens the hotel was much more enjoyable!! We checked in late Friday and from the beginning the service and standards were impeccable. We settled into the room instantly and ordered room-service, the food was excellent, hot & on-time, just what we needed. Saturday was the family day, however we'd booked into the restaurant for 9pm. We went to the bar for a pre-dinner drinks and we have never seen a hotel bar as busy, it was packed. However surprisingly it didnt take too long to get served, the cocktails were great, the service was great and the atmosphere was great. We floated over to the restaurant and the music drifted into the background. Luckily we were seated in a little alcove which made the evening very romantic (brownie points!!) the service, attentativeness and food were all second to none. All in all a superb experience, room, food, & service. Will be trying more Malmaisons in the future.

1  Thank silvermeremews
Reviewed March 6, 2007

Often have to stay in Birmingham on Buisness and the last couple of visits my company has booked me into the Malmaison Hotel. I always use trip advisor to check holiday hotels but thought this one was definatly worth a mention.
The hotel has a unique feel and the staff are really lovely, providing me with a charger for my mobile phone which I had stupidly left at home.
The two rooms I have seen are big and the beds are the most comfortable I have ever syayed in away from home. Broadband is free - a rare thing and the wide screen TV is tops for the football. Room service food is the best I have had, the restaurant looks lovely but who wants to dine alone.
Breakfast is a must, the chice is quite something and they play radio two to I can have a coffee listening to Tel!
Lovely - more hotels should be like this

3  Thank City-wanderer