“One night stay would repeat”

Malmaison Birmingham
Ranked #22 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Friday night stay as working in B'ham that day. Staff friendly, room clean and comfortable, deal included dinner and a cocktail - all drinkable/ edible. It is what it is - think at full price would be too expensive but they have deals all the time which, if they suit, are better value.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

I stopped at the Malmaison on a one night midweek stay for business. I arrived late (10pm) and check-in was quick and efficient by friendly, welcoming staff. I booked a double room and got a double room. It was very quiet at night. I visited the restaurant/bar area after checking in and there was a good feel to it, maybe the music was a little too loud and a few extra lights would have been good but all in all a good atmosphere. Breakfast was fine. Hot food is ordered, cold from the buffet but there was not a long wait. The location of the hotel is really good, very central and great for shopping. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Floor 5 looking internally into the Mailbox was very quiet
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

I booked a double room...I checked in and found it was a room with 2 single beds...they said they couldn't honour my booking when I went back to reception and that no doubles were available...I said ok but I'd never stay at a Malmaison again...the phone was ringing when I got back to the room to offer me an upgrade (so they lied to my face at reception)...I took the upgrade room...the ironing board was filthy (I'll upload the pics) and wouldn't stand up...they replaced it...but the iron spewed out brown filth all over my shirt...I just gave up and went to bed.

Lots of stuff went wrong but the staff were very responsive.

The room was great and the bed was very comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Jonathan W
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed for one night as a treat, but by the time we left we were disappointed. Room was very big and nicely decorated - apart from the very strange stains on the carpet! For some reason we were given a room with two kingsize beds in it!
The biggest disappointment is it was the little things that were wrong - lack of attention to detail. No tissues in the room, just an empty box. Mini bar not stocked and breakfast was very busy and slow and really no that great when it arrived. Shower not fully adjustable. I have to say the staff were all really good, polite and helpful. I would have to choose the reception staff for special mention.

1  Thank DRMacLeod
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Ideally situated right by Harvey Nicholls and the Mailbox, the Malmaison in Birmingham is very handy if shopping is your intended pursuit.

To be fair, it's pretty handy generally, sharing a car park as it does with The Mailbox and there are plenty of other shops, restaurants and places of interest within walking distance.

This particular Malmaison (and I have stayed at most of them) is somehow a little less sumptuous than the others and my room was a little on the pokey side and a tad curly around the edges but all in all I would recommend a stay here as the staff (as at all of them) are very well trained, courteous and friendly.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 23, 2013

My wife and I have stayed at Mal Maison Birmingham a number of times in the last few years. Normally after a days shopping, we have a night away before returning to the reality of three children at home !

Great spot, next to Harvey Nichols and the Mailbox, about 15 minutes walk from Selfridges and the Bull Ring via the busy Corporation Street.

The Hotel has a great vibe, cool and contemporary, some of the rooms look a bit tired but generally the décor is very good. Nice large comfy beds, well equipped rooms with lots of temptation in the mini bar.

The Bar is usually busy, and has a relaxed, chilled atmosphere at night, Eastern European bar staff we find very helpful ! ... the Restaurant again is usually excellent, tend to steer away from the fixed evening menu that is included in some of the packages.

The highlight on our last stay was breakfast - absolutely amazing especially the eggs benedict
and homemade granola.

Overall excellent value for money, we wouldn't stay anywhere else in Birmingham.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Overnight stay at Malmaison on a busy summer Saturday night. Room excellent - bed was really comfortable. Boisterous wedding guests dealt with discretely and effectively (at 4am) so did not really disrupt. Great breakfast. Would recommend highly.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends