“Poor Spa, Poorly Functioning Rooms”

Malmaison Birmingham
Ranked #25 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Air conditioning very noisy and not functioning in 3 of the 4 rooms we booked. Had lunch in the brasserie, do not have the burgers, very dry and no "flourish" plus 16.5% service charge for 7 of us. My mini pedicure was in a room which used to be an office, very draughty, could hear all the panting from the gym, dirty light switches plus 2 and a half hours later still was not set and smudged - rebooked to have repainted in the morning but no apology offered, just "we do say it takes between 1 and 3 hours to dry" of which I was not informed. Such a shame as other Malmaisons are still "boutiquey" and made to feel special. Feel just too big to offer a proper service.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,442)

Reviewed June 17, 2013

My stay at the Mal Maison in Birmingham was very enjoyable due to the people that I was staying with and the reason I was visiting Birmingham. Unfortuately, the decor and carpets in the room looked very tired and the mini bar fridge did not work; which we found out late at night when we returned from our evening out with friends. The late night room service menu is very limited and after a good deal of thought I ordered cheese on a toasted muffin and a bacon sandwich. Both cost £4.95 with a £4.00 tray charge for each and a 10% service charge. That's not too bad if you are desperate for something to eat at 2am, but when it arrived I was very disappointed. The two choices looked very similar to a McDonalds breakfast bun with a limited amount of filling. Anyway, as I said, I was desperate so I ate it. Breakfast was a different experience, the food was quick and delicious and it made up for my 2am hunger experience. The bar staff are very helpful and pleasant, and the bar area had a lovely warm atmosphere. My niggle really is with the late night menu choice and price and the mini bar...

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Very pleasant stay in the heart of the city. Very short walk to train station and shops.Car parking is expensive at £19 for 24 hours but it is a safe car park and very close to the hotelRooms spacious and very clean. Very good breakfast and staff very good. Would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank dalestorth
Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a 2 night break. Have stayed at 4 other Mals and this is one of the better ones. Room was lovely - really spacious, floor to ceiling windows & lovely seating area. Staff were helpful.

The only thing that let down this stay was the spa. We both had a spa treatment the afternoon we arrived. Both were supposed to last an hour but in fact one lasted 35 min and the other lasted 40 min. The treatments weren't good & the treatment room walls were paper thin so you could hear everything in the next treatment room along with staff mucking about & shrieking in the corridor outside the rooms. Staff at the spa were unhelpful & quite rude. When we checked out we mentioned this...having paid £140 for the treatments I expected a lot more. But the reception staff offered no apology and didn't even acknowledge the complaint...just printed off my receipt and carried on with check out.

I recommend the hotel. But don't recommend the spa.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed June 14, 2013

This hotel is fine - service is professional if not warm, rooms are pleasant, but looking a tad worn and the location is good. breakfast is fine, bar prices are high, room service is adequate but not thrilling. However, as usual with Malmaison, the hotel suffers from being so gloomy. I suppose one person's lack of light is another's "atmosphere". Personally, given the age of the place and the traffic through it, I think the darkness, combined with some fixtures and fittings which are showing wear and tear makes it all appear a bit dowdy. It's fine - but nothing special.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 14, 2013

This is my second stay at this hotel. First time was a bit dodgy see my reviews but this time it was Excellent.

I booked a twin room - superior
It has 2 super kingsize beds in it, this time my friend and I were shopping. So not with hubby.
The room was clean and tidy
Staff were helpful
Breakfast was fantastic
Highly recommend as this is next door to mailbox shopping centre, plus canals with bars and restaurants..
Near train station so brilliant location.

Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

Booked via booking.com and was able to reserve yet not pay until I arrived which was good. Only about £85 b&b for a fantastic hotel right in the city centre in the stylish mailbox.
Room was furthest from lift which was a trek but clean and not at all pokey with nice toiletries that they encourage you to steal! Didn't use the spa but I've heard its good and they often have good deals for pampering or Friday night stays (had a previous hen do at Manchester Mal which was fantastic value on a Friday night with food booze and treatments). Lovely bar to have a glass of bubbles before a night out or plenty of other places at the other end of the mailbox in the sunshine - and great central location near ICC NIA, Broad Street and Symphony Hall. Felt grown up and a lovely treat without kids in tow. Also the mini bar meant I could chill the half bottle of champers i'd cheekily taken along! Service from in room breakfast and reception was good, not overly friendly but got the job done. Parking in mailbox for 24 hrs worked out about £16 (that was with 10% off card). The central atrium style mailbox is due an overhaul (putting a roof on!) don't know when this is but I'd check first as if lots of things are closed the atmosphere may not be as good.
My advice, check the mailbox will be up and running, look around for the cheapest deal with different sites, take your own bubbly and don't forget your 10% off parking voucher if you park in the mailbox! Otherwise, go for it!

• Stayed: June 2013