Malmaison Birmingham
  • Breakfast included
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Pool
2,546 results
All reviewsharvey nicholsmailbox car parkmini barmail boxhotel bargood sizehot breakfaststandard roomafternoon teaclub roombars and restaurantscity centresaturday nightnew street stationlovely roomstayed for one nightfull english
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 10, 2011

We booked a room here and had to spend £65 to qualify for a "bargain" room which was £30. On arrival our superior room wasn't ready so we were upgraded to a junior suite, which was excellent. Table booked in the restaurant, bottle of bubbles later our food arrived. One word. Stunning. I've eaten in lots of great restaurants but the steak I had last night was the best ever. All in all what a great night out great food and all for £110 (not Inc bubbles)

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed October 4, 2011

We stayed at Malmaison for a city break over the weekend.

Booking: We'd booked the sat night through Octopus Travel and got a rate of £83 inclusive of breakfast - the offer was no longer available when we decided to extend our booking to the Friday night. It had gone up to £89 without breakfast. So we went directly to the Malmaison website in the morning, where the price was £79, then, when checking the website at lunchtime, the rate had gone up to £89 - without breakfast. I realise that this is how hotels do their business but it has put me off booking at a Malmaison again - furthermore, there were problems with the website - which the central booking staff did not seem bothered about.

Room: Was fine. Cleaned straight away the next morning. Although the toilet decided to refill at 430am for about 45mins and I had to turn to earplugs as I couldn't sleep and there was only one facecloth between two people.

Facilities: The spa and gym facilities are very good - they have massage chairs which are free to use... a gym with free weights and a variety of machines and a spa pool (disappointed that this couldn't have been a jacuzzi), steam room and sauna - nice spa!

Parking: I was disappointed that there was not some sort of arrangement with Mailbox parking for at least a subsidised parking rate. Expensive stay at Malmaison.

Breakfast: Quite simply, there was not enough staff. They need staff to clear and staff to serve, they were not able to do both in a timley manner. We had to ask twice for our tea and coffee and our toast never arrived. The Full English was disappointing and my roll was burnt. As a result of the lack of staff, service was painfully slow.

Staff: The breakfast staff were polite (in spite of being under-staffed). However, I handed in my comments card to the receptionist who proceded to open it in front of me!? Surely this isn't good etiquette?

Overall: The stay was fine. However, for the price paid and the reputation that I have heard about Malmaison I was somewhat disappointed and was not to the standard that I would have expected. Nothing was hideously wrong or bad, however as a result of my stay I would not choose to stay there again.

Room Tip: Book in the morning as the website changes the rates throughout the day.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2011

Malmaison roughly translates trom French to English as Bad House, an interesting and unfortunate translation as this most definately wasn't our experience.

Malmaison is an up market and trendy hotel. We stopped in a large double room booked via their website. Room and bathroom were clean, had nice fixtures and fittings and lots of mirrors! Music playing quietly was a nice touch when we entered the room on arrival. Well stocked mini-bar, room safe, ironing board and iron, flat screen tv and hi-fi. Large comfy double (super king?) bed.

OK the spiral staircase's once plush carpet from reception to the restaurant and bar area is showing some signs of wear on the step edges but this kind of adds to the place as you wonder just how many celebrities, or otherwise, have trod the same steps. We saw George Lamb (Larry Lamb's son). 3 busy lifts move guests between floors.

Only niggle was that we didn't get asked if we wanted breakfast at check in and we've just read this is a way to get it discounted on Tripadvisor. Cooked breakfast was served at our table in an efficient manner and was quite tasty.

Bar area on Saturday night was very busy, last orders being about 12:30. We were one of the last to leave at about 1am.

As with most cities you do have to pay to park. But parking in Mailbox is clean and feels safe and doing this you don't have to go far which is worth the £18 for 24hrs.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2011

A very good stay, still embodying what the Malmaison brand is all about. Very comfortable room, lots of nice touches, friendly staff. What a shame that the breakfast service was so slow. Waited ages to order, then waited ages for our food to turn up, then when it did, the soft boiled eggs had been left for so long they'd gone hard. Heard others complaining about it too, wasn't just us. You might be better off going next door to Harvey Nichols' new cafe for breakfast

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2011

Right from check-in, our stay here was perfect. We'd booked a super double room on a special deal that included a meal for £99, but upgraded the room for £20 more.

The room had two fantastic double beds (don't know why), and the one we used was very comfortable with sumptuous pillows and duvet.

The room itself was large by any standard and though the carpet looked a little tired, evything was clean and tidy.

The mimi bar was well stocked and plenty of tea coffee and biscuits were provided.

The bathroom was well stocked with toiletries you can take home, which was nice too.

A full breakfast costs £14, but if booked at check-in, the rate is discounted to £10, which isn't bad considering the amount of food that's on offer, which includes anything you want from the continental breakfast buffet.

The only thing I didn't like was the sausage - filled with leek and quite unpalatable at breakfast time.

This was compensated though, by meeting my request for well done bacon.

All in all, a top rate experience that we couldn't fault at all.

As for the parking charges mentioned elsewhere, that's just part of being a city centre. Yes, there are municipal car parks at half the price, but the Mailbox parking is secure, patrolled, has CCTV and you don't have to face the elements to get into the hotel.

Sometime, little luxuries are worth the extra price - just like the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011