“Hotel fine, everything else an immediate danger”
Review of Royal George Hotel

Royal George Hotel
Ranked #41 of 54 Birmingham B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

Firstly: that photo of the canal which makes you assume that the hotel backs onto a canal is an utter lie. This hotel backs onto the dump behind Birmingham City Football Club.

My partner and I got the luxury double, and that was exactly as pictured: lovely. However, your hotel room shouldn't be located in what is essentially a crumbling brick sphincter.

When we drive into the car park (the garage round the back), there were people hanging around in the doing nothing. They seemed, worryingly, quite surprised to see visitors.

We checked into the hotel at the horrible pub underneath - we should have turned back when the first poster we saw was promoting a Danny Dyer night. The atmosphere reminded me of when Vince and Howard walked into the fisherman's pub in The Mighty Boosh and everything stopped.

As I said, the room itself was nice but literally everything that surrounded the room was rubbish. The two bars downstairs were rubbish, the staff were nice enough but seemed embarrassed to be associated with such a crap hotel, and the area felt unsafe (not even in the exciting way).

This hotel could be all right and I'd go back to it if it had a HUGE refurb and plan for professionalisation.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 9, 2014

Lovely clean well laid out family room, no noise apart from the road traffic when windows are open but you are staying in a city! Really friendly welcoming staff. Lovely breakfast, good value for money.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Although the staff were helpful, had to wait to be booked in until customers at the bar had been served. Fixtures, fittings and bedding in the room were broken, stained, grubby. Bizarre collection of empty bath salts bottles in the bathroom. Broken tiles on floor were a hazard, I injured my toe on them. Nice breakfast but no decaff coffee available anywhere on hotel.

Room Tip: OK asa pub, but would not recommend staying unless you are too drunk to notice surroundings
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Although this hotel is in a near enough location to city centre it is next door to the football stadium. (A nightmare if there is a match on). The photos of the rooms have been taken well but are misleading when you arrive to a overly loud bar, terrible parking system and rude and unwelcoming customer service. The rooms smell like smoking areas and in addition you have many residents allowed to make as much noise as required at all times through the night be that 1am or 5am. Will not be staying here again!

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed March 7, 2014

I needed a dog friendly hotel within a reasonable distance of the NEC whilst visiting Crufts, and found most of them way too expensive, especially the larger chain hotels. The Royal George seemed to fit the bill, and was a very reasonable £55 per room per night. I was concerned that as it was part pub and beside the Birmingham City FC ground that it would be noisy. Amazingly not! No games were being played whilst we were there, so no problem, and in any case any games would have finished before bedtime.
Yes, the hotel is fairly basic, but freshly presented, clean, good sized rooms, and had everything needful. Super shower and plentiful hot water, very comfortable enormous beds, and a surprising nice basement breakfast room with a very full English breakfast included in the price. Friendly bar. Staff could not have been nicer or more helpful, and were very welcoming of my dog. Parking a little limited, but there seems to be overflow parking available on the football ground (which is locked at night so safe). I highly recommend.

Room Tip: The whole area seems quiet at night,, despite being walking distance to the city centre, so not awar...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 27, 2014

I'm not going to waste anymore of my time than I have too.

Took payment before we even arrived at the place. After having to smash our car up an incredibly high curb to enter the car park, we were greeted by intoxicated patrons of the pub at the door, then welcomed by a young girl who couldn't get rid of is quick enough. Room was small but well decorated and the bed was comfy. The room was dirty, kettle but no water, smashed loose tiles on the bathroom floor, shower head hanging off, the room smelt of smoke, and the smoke detector had a bag tapped over it. Loud music from the bat filled out room until hone midnight. I could go on and on.

Awful. A real shame as it looked so nice on the photos.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank A10REU
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I recently stayed in this hotel last weekend! I had many faults I would like to share... All in all I was disappointed by the stay altogether. For starters when we got to the hotel there was no clear indication to where the reception was and after looking and wondering if we were in the right place it turned out to be behind a bar?! I found this very unprofessional and the staff didn't seem very trust worthy as there was no uniform and I felt I was staying in a night club. Secondly after finding the reception I was assumed to be who I was and not asked my name by any of the staff, not like I could hear any of the staff at all because of the inappropriate loud music in the hotel itself!! next having to go through a door behind the bar was rather shady and didn't feel safe, not only did it look and feel dodgy it was also full of hazards as my boyfriend tripped and nearly fell which I thought deserved an apology but yet again the staff didn't say a word and nothing could be heard because of the loud music. once actually finding our room we then found it nice and relaxing until we actually sat down after unpacking and could only hear the noise of the music that was right below us! I thought this was appalling as we were placed right above the noisiest room and to be playing that loud music on a Saturday night in a hotel isn't professional at all! after actually getting over this and being very annoyed as we had a very early morning get up I felt like the music would be turned off at 12 (which is a reasonable hour) but I was mistaken and it continued till 2 in the morning! I thought this was rude for the guest that have paid money to stay and to not get any sleep till that time is appalling on the hotel! I think this is not a place I will ever be staying again! not to mention when I arrived there I noticed that my payment of the room had been taken out of my bank already. the website clearly states that no payment until arrival and in my case I wanted to pay on a different card but figured to be to late which I didn't like at all! Lastly when leaving the hotel at the early hours of half 6 it said there was reception service from 6 in the morning... when we departures and left there was no one around and all the gates were locked! this made us feel unsafe and late for our event and it was only lucky that someone heard us and opened the gate for us to leave!! hopefully you'll take up my points to improve as I won't be recommending you to anyone as my stay was the worst stay of my life.

• Stayed: February 2014