“great hotel right next to the football ground”
Review of Royal George Hotel

Royal George Hotel
Ranked #40 of 54 Birmingham B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 4, 2013

me and my girlfriend stayed here for a night in birmingham in october. the hotel has a car park and is about 300 yards from the football ground (you can pretty much see the pitch from the window) the room was lovely and modern and staff very nice. it was a 5 minute taxi drive into town. excellent hotel but can imagine being very busy on match day.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 24, 2013

I read the reviews on here after I booked the hotel. I was therefore pleasently suprrised on arrival. We were booked in and made very welcome. The room itself was very spacious. It was very clean to the point that we felt we were the first people to stay in there. The hotel does have a car park, although this is probably limited to 6 cars. We stayed on a room only basis for £40.00 for two people for one night. I would definately come back again.

Room Tip: The hotel is next to St Andrews football park.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Punkpanther
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Arrived 2.45 Match day. Shock! But once footballers left and saw room it was ok. It's right next to city ground so avoid on match days maybe. Comfy bed and good breakfast. Although the loo did make funny noises! Very basic but served its purpose for one night. 10 mins from bull ring.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 23, 2013

As all the other reviews have said Reception is at the side of a sports bar. However the rooms were clean, modern, staff were friendly (if a little over worked). Breakfast was nice and filling and the price was ok. Bed was comfortable, shower hot. Just what was needed for night.

Car park closes at 9pm which was a bit pointless for us as we were going out, however parked for free on the street next to Pub.

Its right next to the football ground, so not sure how busy it will be on match day or what the roads around the pub will be like.

Room Tip: Venue has a lockable car park which is closed off at 9pm
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank darren k
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We arrived at the royal George to find litter all over the flooring the bar, it resembled a football terrace after a match which given the fact it is so close to Birmingham city's ground there is a possibility it could have blown over.
The drinks at the bar had almost ran out there was a Budweiser or two and 1bottle if cider.
The room was very comfortable and overall not too bad but the toilet seat was hanging off, and also the '80's teas made' didn't function properly.
Birmingham itself was a fantastic evening out but we would look more carefully when choosing a hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Davidgeorge1
Reviewed July 30, 2013

This was literally the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.
The hotel has one family room which is where I stayed with my family. Upon arrival, we had to walk through a busy pub which I did not feel was appropriate as I had young children. In the second room the light did not work.
The food was terrible and I was unable to eat anything.
The bathroom was dirty and as if that wasn't bad enough, in the morning my family and I were unable to shower due to there being no hot water. When we phoned through to reception, which, I may add, we had to use our Mobile as the phone in the room did not work, we were told that we had to wait 5 minutes for them to put the hot water on. This was an absolute disgrace.
I will NEVER return to this hotel again. You are better off going to a premier inn or holiday inn as you would get better value for money. The only positive I have is the bed was very big.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Tanya A
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Booked through LateRooms and made the error of not looking at reviews on here and elsewhere.
4* what can be wrong with it?
Well if it was me on my own at work, no probs but with my wife who looks on any hotel stay as a holiday it just doesn't cut it.
Take a look at street view and it will all become clear, this isn't an area where you want to bring your Wife, kids, mum at night and the reception is 'different' to any other hotel check in I've ever experienced, others have covered it on here quite adequately.
Breakfast guy (chef) came in 'good morning' we said 'might be for some' came the reply, followed by 'we ain't got no bread so there you are!' followed by a slight spit out of the corner of his mouth. Felt this was more for effect and to keep his reputation as the rudest host in Birmingham than anything else, quite a nice guy when he engaged in conversation.
Paid for two nights but changed to the Radisson Blu for the second night - so one happy wife :-)
Not a bad place really, clean comfortable bed, brilliant shower, huge breakfast - apart from no bread! Just needs the * rating adjusting to 2 or 3 at a push.

• Stayed: July 2013