All reviews hagley road city centre breakfast was excellent lovely hotel good size road noise room was spacious cooked breakfast very pleasant stay great shower saturday night night's sleep stayed for one night following morning tea and coffee good nights sleep yogurt
Selected filters
Reviewed April 17, 2019

Stayed here on Tuesday night with our company, there was a group of us.

As always the hotel is spotless, rooms are lovely, staff are very helpful and the drinks are good from the bar :)

Will be staying again soon I'm sure

Date of stay: April 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed April 16, 2019 via mobile

An easy taxi ride from Birmingham New Street and a convenient location for the a Botanical Garden. Very helpful front desk staff and good, modern rooms with the usual facilities. The breakfast was excellent.

Date of stay: April 2019
Reviewed March 2, 2019 via mobile

Stayed here for one night and thankful that it was only one night.

The hotel is well situated on the Hagley Road and has free parking, hence my choice, what a mistake that was.

Following check in and the moving in of a particularly inconsiderate set of guests in the next room accompanied by their total lack of consideration for anyone else with their voice levels, and a very young baby to boot, it became abundantly clear that sleep was going to be an impossible dream (excuse the pun).

Now, you can understand that it isn't the fault of the hotel that guests talk loudly, however it is the fault of the hotel where it situates guests who are obviously going to be louder than your average, and how paper thin or soundproofed the walls are.

Clearly this hotel is happy to take your money and how you actually sleep is your problem.

I've given the hotel two stars, one because I had to, and the other is that despite the noise the bed was actually very comfortable.

Date of stay: March 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 28, 2019 via mobile

We booked to stay after a long charity walk. We called to ask if we could park early & were told it wasn't a problem. We went through the check-in procedure when we dropped the car & also were allowed to drop our bags super early.

Our room was great. The first twin room I've booked that has 2 double beds. Only 2 teabags though & we feared asking for more having read the sign that said that we could get more from reception but there may be an extra charge.

Breakfast was OK. We had to ask 3 times for our toast as we kept getting forgotten (or our toast being given away to other table's mistakenly twice!) The same with the tea - our 2nd person's was also given away & we had to ask numerous times. I do understand that 5 minutes after we arrived it got very busy but it's a bit annoying when people arriving 5-10 minutes after get served first.

The cooked breakfast was OK. Not fab - I think we'd mistimed as ours was tepid & quite dry BUT still tasty. Unfortunately no croissants/pastries available when we dined: empty basket.

Overall I'd say good value for money but time breakfast arrival better!!

Date of stay: February 2019
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed February 27, 2019

I trained as a chef in 1969/71 at the Birmingham college of food, back then, there were no microwaves, food processors, clever ovens, bought in processed / pre prepared food, etc.
We were taught to prepare fresh food, to cook it properly, to be creative, give service, quality, through hard work, dedication and all that old stuff!
We were taught restaurant silver service practices, that formal old "stuffy" proper way of serving customers, tables laid with starched crisp napery, polished silver and glassware etc.
Our industry has exploded, for great reasons too, it's open to everyone, all dining formalities are now a lot less "stuffy" eating out is available to everyone, not the old elite, the choice of food available is stunning, sadly there sadly is a downside, to me the difficulty of maintaining standards, service etiquette has fallen apart, food is utterly all over the place, often banged together by untrained unskilled staff. Even if you can recruit, It's tough out there!, although we know there are pockets of quality to discover, but you'll have to look long and hard.
Imagine my utter surprise recently when I walked into the dining room of this hotel for Sunday lunch with friends, - I've just walked back 50 years, everything drilled into me as a kid at college and in trade was there in front of me!
A smart formal restaurant, with Skilled waiting staff, an honest freshly prepared Sunday lunch menu, classic starters, classic mains, fresh vegetables and potatoes, all silver served, from flats and vegetable dishes, sauce boats of condiments and proper gravy, all so easy! -When did you last see that?
Service to table, and Clearing were so done so well, I enjoyed every second, till they produced the dessert menu, How do you resist, a selection of home made classic English puds.
Now filled to bursting, in so many ways, my visit was complete!
I know I'll not find this style of service and food for a very long time, most people wouldn't get it, I'll still suffer indignant service, mediocre food, invariably uncontrolled children allowed to run riot, (it's called modern parenting I believe)
This was was my "brief history of time" laid out in front of me.
Thank you Eaton for sticking to your established principals that will always make you stand out, provided of course, that some of the public, might appreciate what you do and support you. ps,- I'm going back!

Room tip: Proper quality cooked food and service to match!
Date of stay: February 2019