“Great value, lovely decor.....some issues however!”
Review of Eaton Hotel

Eaton Hotel
Ranked #13 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great value, lovely decor.....some issues however!”
Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

We visited last December and loved this hotel. Great location very close to town, lovely clean and fresh decor, nice reception staff, great value.

Returned again this weekend bringing friends this time. There was an issue with our booking on arrival (which was website booking company's fault rather than hotel) but reception staff handled this calmly and all was luckily resolved. Rooms great, as we remembered, with gorgeous clean bathrooms and big power showers. There was a party on so we were warned by reception about possible noise from music until about midnight, but we were fine with that as had evening plans anyway. So, all good......until breakfast.

I cannot emphasise enough how terrible this was. On arrival at half 9, all the pastries and nice bread was gone. I asked if there was any more coming and was told by waitress that chef wouldn't be able to do anymore as there was a 'queue in the kitchen'. We all found this a little bizarre as half the breakfast tables were empty so clearly was not 'rush hour' for them. We sat down and waited half an hour before anyone even acknowledged us, and that only happened because we pointed out to another waitress that nobody had served us. When the lady eventually came, she was possibly the most abrupt, strange and highly strung women Ive ever come across. We asked for tea, and were told it didn't matter what we ordered, it was 'all going to take ages anyway'. Customers were clearly just an irritation to her. We ordered food amidst her muttering of this 'queue in the kitchen' (which had become a running joke on our table by this point) and then waited. And waited. Our tea arrived another half an hour later (after prompting), along with toast, which then was cold by the time our breakfasts eventually arrived. Needless to say she made no attempt at an apology for any of this. All in all it took us almost 1.5hours to have breakfast. We were therefore long overdue checking out as we had to dash back to our rooms to pack, get ready etc. Reception then had cheek to ring us to find out why we had not yet checked out!

I am still reluctant to give this hotel any less than 4 stars as I still think it is a great place and very good value. I also firmly believe that this morning was a blip probably caused by some sort of problem in the kitchen, and I am sure normal service will resume tmrw. But if the hotel management are reading this, you must, without question, get rid of that awful lady waitress who served everyone today. There is simply no excuse for such an appalling attitude towards customers.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank canarycan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Korean first
Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

This is the 2nd time me and my partner have stayed at this hotel because we had a good experience last time. And this time was the same. Smooth easy friendly check-in. Comfortable, cosy, spacious room with a stylish, clean bathroom however the flushing system was not that great. Always grateful for the free parking and is perfect location for us. Offers free wifi, big flat screen tv with freeview and the bed was very comfortable. Definately would come back again.

• Stayed November 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Eaton hotel for one night last week and were very impressed.

The room was comfortable, spotless and had all the amenties we required including a hair drier, tea making facilties and an iron with board.

Just outside the city centre the hotel also benfited from free parking and they quickly arranged taxis for us when we required them.

The breakfast was very good with an excellent selection of continental options (on a buffet) including ham, cheese, breads, yoghurts, cereals and many fruits. The full English breakfast was also delicious. The lady serving the breakfast was incredibly professional and friendly and made us feel very welcome.

The staff on the reception desk were also lovely throughout our stay and even printed us off directions ot our next destination which we really appreciated.

Highly recommended.

dubai
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Ok it's a small cozy hotel but I cudnt understand all the hype in the reviews !!
This is a nice 3 story hotel with no concierge services, what no one tells is that each floor is split into mini levels so even tho u take the lift, u end up climbing up n down a few stairs which is very inconvenient if there is luggage
Location: far from city center but those w a car will enjoy the benefit of free parking
Rooms are spacious, good bathroom size - good amneties n free wifi
Additional heater in the room for convenience as main heating system does not work in October
Good breakfast - lovely people collecting orders
BUT
It seemed that the water heater was busted for the two days we stayed in - hence there was no hot water to shower with!!!!! No notification to the guests - no formal apology - nothing! I really found that very disappointing and lacking in customer service this is why am giving this hotel a 2
We also reported a problem with our sink drain - not fixed
Receptionists were not that friendly except the guy who checked us in

1 Thank Marays
Stourbridge, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 16, 2013

New Years Eve 2011, my boyfriend (now husband) proposed to me, and 2 months later we had booked the Eaton Hotel. From that moment, right up until Sunday 25th August 2013, Rob Martin was INCREDIBLE and thought of everything.

As we had booked this hotel for our chosen wedding venue, my family, fiance and I decide to have all out celebration meals at the Eaton Hotel. So all birthdays and wedding anniversaries were spent here.

On Saturday 24th August, I got married, and the Eaton held the reception and the evening bash, and I couldn't have wished for it to go any better. Everything was perfect- and they were more than happy to have all my quirky ideas (bathroom baskets) put into play. Not only was the service amazing, the food- considering feeding 100 people, then a further 60 on the evening... EVERYBODY loved the food. No one has had a bad word to say against the food, and the drinks prices were more than reasonable.

My husband and I received the bridal suite and it was stunning, but the rooms my family were in were just as lovely, and as we were staying for dinner the following day, we were allowed late checkout. They were so accommodating, nothing was too much.

Not just for a wedding venue, but for the food and rooms alone. Amazing hotel, amazing staff, an it just goes to show you don't need to stay in a big fancy chain hotel to get the service!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tara P
Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2013

An over-night stay, but what a great one! My room was on the 1st floor, with a view over the parking lot - I was bit surprised at the maze-like route to get to it, but even more surprised to find such a large room. It was uber-comfortable with bedlinens that were that were a perfect mix of 'crisp' and 'soft', top of the line toileteries and a good tray of coffee and tea... The staff were friendly and helpful, making us feel much at home in the evening, and spoilt at breakfast.

Well situated for visiting the city of Birmingham, I encourage people to stay at this bijou hotel!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Retford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I spent the weekend together with my partner to celebrate a friends wedding. The reception ws held at the hotel which is why we choose it. It is well placed near to the city centre and its amenities but we were warned that the front facing onto Hagley Road can be noisy. Upon our arrival we had been given a front room and our E-mail had been lost. That said the wonderful receptionist couldnt have been more helpful immediately sorting an alternative. This first room was a small double with a wet room, ok I thought but my partner had different ideas, the room was however spotlessly clean. A trip back to reception saw us offered two alternatives. the room we chose, other than its unenspiring carpark view (what do you expect in a city) the room was fantastic. The bed was comfortible, the room clean and warm. fantastic couple of nights. The only draw back, as highlighted by other reviewers, was noise from other residents, but again a city centre hotel on a weekend will be noisy.
The breakfast was plentiful with fruit, continental and cooked. The full english was ample and well cooked although the bacon and mushrooms were a little overdone for me personnally.
The reception food was excellent, of good quality and quantity. The bar prices were fair for the location and type of premises.
Would definitely stay again if in Birmingham.

Room Tip: Ask for a rear facing room to reduce noise from the busy main road outside.