“Wonderful hotel.”
Review of The Eaton Hotel

The Eaton Hotel
Ranked #13 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I've stayed here many times on business trips. Have never been disappointed with any aspect of the hotel over a number of years.
Comfortable rooms, great food and good meeting room facilities. Free WiFi is a delight.
Very friendly, professional and efficient staff.
This hotel is able to deal with people that have allergies to certain foods very well with the chef providing different choices for meals to those displayed on the excellent menu. Room service is also terrific.
Can't praise this hotel and Maria enough.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Margaret T
Ngkalavanas, Manager at The Eaton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2013

Dear Margaret T,

Thank you for leaving a review on TripAdvisor. We are pleased with your feedback left and I will pass your kind words to the team and Maria.

We pride ourselves on excellent food and service at all times, meeting all our guests needs.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We are hard to please as we like 4 to 5 star accommodation but at a bargain. I stayed at the Eaton Hotel Birmingham overr 5 years ago. So 5 years later when mu partner and I was visiting friends in Birmingham we booked the Eaton. I was worried it would not be as I remembered. It was fabulous. It was modernised but perfectly done so it was still cosy. We stayed there in March and in May 2013. The showers is powerful and beats away the tiredness. Beautifully tiled. The bedroom is huge. There is a trouser press and iron. The staff are really polite and friendly. Breakfast is just perfect. There is buffet style continental breakfast with fresh fruits (not tinned) and cereal to start with and then a menu to choose your hot brealfast from full english to smoked haddoc and poach eggs. I honestly dont understand why everyone one doesnt book this hotel you get a lot for £70. Most budget hotels cost just as much but all you get is square room with no character. I forgot to say that iys close to broad street if you out for the night life or drukenl lunch and want to tatake a cab its less than a fiver. Book the Eaton you wont regret it

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Melanie T
Ngkalavanas, Manager at The Eaton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Dear Melanie T,

Thank you for leaving a review on TripAdvisor. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I will pass your comments onto the team and your kind words about the team too.

We are proud to offer great value for a great price.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

I've stayed here several times on business and always had a good experience, check in is efficient, there's plenty of parking, free wi-fi, the rooms are very nicely decorated and most of them are large and airy, the beds are very comfortable.

Breakfast is always lovely and our regular waitress is a treasure.

I would definately recommend

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Kaytutt6
Ngkalavanas, Manager at The Eaton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Dear Kaytutt6,

Thank you for your feedback left on TripAdvisor. I will pass your kind comments onto the team.
We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Me and my husband stayed here for 1 night as we were having a night away from our 2 children, the hotel was fantastic and in a great location near to bars and shops etc... All the staff were extremely friendly and helpful which made checking in and out very easy. The rooms are a good size and have everything you could need in them. The bathroom was a little tired looking and could do with tiles re sealing etc.. But that really didn't bother us or affect our stay however I know some people get upset about these things. The FREE car park was fantastic and had lots of spaces available, we have a very large car and I found it easy to find a space big enough. We ate at the hotel restaurant on the evening of our stay and found the food fantastic (the chocolate tart was amazing) breakfast was also very nice with a lot of choice. Overall a great hotel with good staff, nice food, a big car park and great rooms. Definitely worth the £70 paid.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank nicholson-867

Dear nicholson-867,

Thank you for leaving feedback on TripAdvisor. We are pleased overall that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will pass on your kind comments to the team.
We pride ourselves offering excellent customer service and always pleased to recieve any feedback from our customers.

I do apologize regarding the bathrooms, we are in the middle refurbishing the last few bathrooms as I speak.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Stayed here in late April for five nights. Check in was friendly and speedy. We had a room at the back of the hotel overlooking the car park and, considering the busy location (the front of the hotel faces the Hagley Road) found it really quiet. Soundproofing between rooms was good too. Our room was well furnished, clean and comfortable.
All members of staff we encountered were unfailingly friendly and helpful. The buffet breakfast was of a high standard and speedily served though cooked items sometimes arrived before we had even started our breakfast cereal!! Free car parking in what seemed to be a reasonably secure area was a bonus.
We considered the Eaton Hotel offered really good value and would happily return.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of the hotel are probably quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wendy B
Ngkalavanas, Manager at The Eaton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear Ian B,

Thank you for your feedback which was left on TripAdvisor. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay here with us and I will pass on your comments to the team. I will pass your comment onto the Breakfast Supervisor to ensure we don't bring breakfasts out so speedily in future if this is the case.

It is always great to hear positive feeback and once again thank you.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

We booked this as we wanted somewhere to stay that would give us easy access into Birmingham the next morning. The free on site car park was a real bonus. Very easy to find the hotel without having to get tied up with all the city centre traffic. Very clean and comfortable rooms. Staff friendly and helpful. And a great breakfast. Exellent value for money. This was our second choice as the hotel we usually stay in, just a few doors down the road, was full for the night we needed, but we will certainly be using The Eaton for future stays.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back away from teh main road.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chodzi
Ngkalavanas, Manager at The Eaton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Dear Chodzi,

Thank you for your feeback recently left on TripAdvisor. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed your breakfast. I will pass your comments onto the team and the kind words too about our team.
Yes, we offer FREE car parking to all our guests either staying overnight, attending a function or just coming in for a meal compared to other city hotels.

We hope to see you in the near future.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Lots of car parking. Efficient check-in.

Room was bright, modern, well furnished and equipped (for example, a safe and free wi-fi). Found the bed a bit on the soft side for my preference.

Had dinner in the restaurant. There’s an “a la carte” menu – the hotel website makes much of them using free-range beef , pork and lamb but there’s no mention of these on the actual menu. It also seems overly long for such a comparatively small place – the sort of menu where you might conclude they buy in a goodly amount of ready prepared stuff from the catering wholesalers. However, there’s also a three course table d’hote menu at £20, including coffee, which I thought was fine for quality and pretty reasonable value for money - and that's what I ordered from.

Breakfast was good. A buffet for the “continental” stuff and orders are taken for coffee, toast and cooked items. I had the full cooked breakfast and was pleased to see that, unlike many places, they are using decent quality ingredients.

I paid £60 for a room and breakfast which I thought was excellent value for money.
I was attending a conference, as I do every year, and have stayed at a number of places along Hagley Road. I reckon this is the best so far.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank harters
Ngkalavanas, Owner at The Eaton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear Harters,

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay overall. Unfortunately your comments and assumptions about the restaurant are made without an understanding of the Eaton Hotel and its background.

The restaurant is well known and highly regarded in the Birmingham area and we have a large number of outside non-resident guests who dine throughout the week and particularly at weekends in the A la Carte restaurant. We are known for a good menu selection, which you mention, good portion sizes and excellent quality ingredients prepared on site. Unlike many corporate chains, our dishes are prepared in our kitchens and not in catering wholesalers.

Our meat supplier is Roger Brown who is locally based and provides superb quality free range and organic British meat. He supplies various restaurants in the area including Michelin restaurants. Our beef is matured for a minimum of 28 days and details about our meat are stated on the menu and the website.

I am upset that you did not ask about our clientele, menus and food preparation during your stay, and before posting any review, as we are very proud of our restaurant and more than happy to provide information to guests in relation to our catering.

The Eaton Hotel is quite unique in Birmingham and many of our regular residents stay precisely because of the restaurant - even those with budgets that would allow them to stay in hotels that are significantly more expensive.

Yours sincerely,