“Tasty Treat”

Chaophraya
Ranked #80 of 2,321 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Positioned on Spiceal Street at the heart of the Bullring, Chaophraya Birmingham is one of the city's most popular eateries - day or night. Set over two floors with an extensive alfresco terrace and spectacular Thai interior, Chaophraya offers a wonderful array of authentic dishes prepared for all to see in the open kitchen.
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I recently had the pleasure of a meal here with my sons, The food was excellent, the service was friendly and efficient and the company was not too bad either:-).
My only criticism was that we sat at a table near the door and customers both coming and going stood holding the doors open which meant we got quite cold at times, no fault of the restaurant.
Next time I will wait for a table further from the door and there will most certainly be a next time.

1  Thank P5108
ChaophrayaBirmingham, Public Relations Manager at Chaophraya, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Sawasdee krub dear P5108,

thank you very much for your amazing review. We are really pleased that you and your sons enjoyed your stay here.

Make sure to make a booking in advance for your next visit so we can make sure you have a really comfortable seat.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Wowsa! The food was absolutely brilliant. Enjoyed it very much.

The staff did not seem aware of our presence at times, and when they were aware... they were too aware. We ordered drinks, and within the time it took for them to arrive (a few minutes) 2 other people asked if we could order drinks. We thought this would be a way of telling us it was great service. Apparently not. Towards the end of the meal we had finished our main meal and after around 20 minutes we were ready to leave... the empty plates still on our table. In the end we paid and left, the plates still on the table.

The food was brilliant, however, I think the service could do with a little improvement, much enjoyed the atmosphere and the cosiness of the place. Would visit again.

ChaophrayaBirmingham, Public Relations Manager at Chaophraya, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Sawasdee krub dear PartyOnElmStreet,

thank you very much for your superb review. The kitchen staff send you a big thank you. Regarding the floor staff, there have been a few minor issues with the service lately which other reviewer have raised as well. We have looked into it and all waiting staff have received been reminded of their training during the last few staff meetings.
The waiting staff send you their apologies for the let down and promises to improve for your next visit.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

Wonderful varied Menu; ate there 2 times in 1 week. Delicious food. Upstairs tables are quieter if you need a calmer atmosphere

Sawasdee krub dear Jo B,

thank you for writing us such an amazing review. The best compliment for any restaurant are repeat visits and we are very happy that you found the food and service to be great on both your visits.

We very much look forward to your third visit here.

Kind regards,

Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

We went on a thursday night in December and it was really busy. They found us a table and we were sat down within 5 minutes. We had a sharing plate with different flavoured meats and fish. The presentation was great (seeing plates going to other tables this is obviously a big thing here) and included a hanging steak which they covered in brandy (I think!) and lit. The whole restaurant was watching.
If I was staying in Central Birmingham again I would definitely consider returning and would recommend.

Sawasdee krub dear K-Moo,

thank you for your amazing review. It is indeed brandy that we cover our mix grill in. If the mixed grill (hanging steak) impressed then you should see our liqueurs coffees made by Poy :)

Thank very much for your kind words regarding the presentation of the food. We hope to see you again here in the near future.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

After travelling Thailand and coming home searching for a restaurant in Birmingham that does perfect Thai food, with the same Thai hospitality, I think I've finally found it. From the moment we stepped in the restaurant, and being greeted with 'sawadee kha', we were very well looked after by the friendly staff. My sister had my young nephew with her and the staff made sure he was happy and gave him plenty attention, which a lot of restaurants don't do, which I thought was nice of them. The restaurant itself was nicely laid out with a very Thai feel to it, with lovely decor, with a gorgeous tropical fish tank, that we were sat next to.
Now for the food; both myself and my sister ordered the chicken pad thai, which took approx 10 minutes to arrive. It was laid out beautifully, in a dish on a wooden board, with the peanuts, chilli flakes and lime segment separately, which was a nice touch. The pad thai was absolutely delicious! Easily the best I've tasted outside of Thailand. Everything tasted so fresh and the flavours were put together so well, I would definitely order it again. Desert was chocolate and coconut ice cream, coated with panko breadcrumbs and deep fried; I didn't really expect much of it, but when I tried it they were so yummy!
Some people would probably say it was a bit pricey, it wasn't really especially for such a wonderful experience, great food and excellent service.
We are already planning our next visit to try some more of their food, which I'm sure will be just as fab!

Sawasdee krub dear Emma G,

thank you for taking the time to write us such an extensive and fantastic review.
We are absolutely thrilled that you, your sister and nephew had such a wonderful time here. On your next visit, we would very much like for your nephew to give name to a few of our fishes who are still nameless (though they all sort of look the same so it is hard to tell).

Both the kitchen and waiting staff send you a big thank you and very much look forward to seeing you again.

Kind regards,