“Would definitely recommend”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Would definitely recommend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

We recently visited this restaurant for Sat lunch. Unfortunately for the restaurant there are some roadworks outside that completely obscure the frontage but luckily the seating is at the rear of the restaurant.
We were the only ones eating, the service was friendly, informative but not overly intrusive. The food was excellent, but the main course let the kitchen down, as the plates weren't hot and the food suffered as a result.
Overall, good VFM - we had 3 courses and a 1/2 bottle of wine each for £26. Would return if we lived in the area.

• Visited September 2012

Lausanne, Switzerland
“Dire !”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

Due the the appalling service and non existent management of this restaurant ( bearing Glyn Purnells name) a very special and much looked forward to meal was ruined .The old Asquith closed because it was too far away for Glynn to keep proper control over standards so one would have hoped that the new premises just around the corner from Purnells would be much better run. I regret that was not the case based on our experience last night. All 6 of us walked out after the main courses with most of what we had consumed being offered free of charge. We didn't need a free meal , what we needed was a great night out celebrating a landmark birthday with 3 couples coming together, travelling very long distances for a special night . SHOCKINGLY BAD AND NEVER AGAIN.

1 Thank EdFinnier
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“excellent food, poor service and dull decore”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

The kitchen staff were poorley let down by the front of house staff. The waiting staff were never at hand. However, you could see them through a mirror standing in the corridoor between the kitchen and dining room having a nice chat between themselves.

At the start of the meal I was asked if I wanted a drink, at no point after that was I asked again. When my partner after a long wait got the attention of staff for drinks they would take his order and not ask me if I would like another drink.

Further, staff did not at any point top my glass with my mineral water, which is unexceptable if you want a service charge of 12 percent.

The dull decore was further cheapened by the awful music (cheesey 70's and 80's music).

When I chose to eat her I obviously wasnt expecting michelin standard service, as it is just a bar/casual eatery, but I did still expect a higher standerd of service then of that which was provided.

Margate, United Kingdom
“Not value for money or a relaxing ambience!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

We were In Birmingham for a night and thought a booking at this "classy" restaurant would make a nice evening out.Actually our visit was very disappointing,the food is nicely presented but minuscule in quantity,the dining area I'd adjacent to a very busy and noisy bar which was teeming on a Friday evening. The result was a total lack of any ambience and a feeling of being ripped off -and pretty empty from a dining point of view! We don't mind paying a decent price for a meal in a nice atmosphere but this establishment failed to meet our( reasonable) expectations!

England, United Kingdom
“fabuloso lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

Don’t know what all the other reviews are talking about, not sure they were at the same place even!! We had a FANTASTIC lunch there, having tried Glyn's other restaurant 'Purnells' a couple of months ago and thought it was exquisite, we thought we'd give this go too, our lunch was truly yummy, ok portions are not huge but the quality is amazing, tickled the taste buds and made you savour the flavours, I'd go for quality over quantity anytime, we had the three course set menu with half a carafe of wine per person and thought it was very, very reasonable for such a wonderful meal. The ambiance was lovely, less formal than Purnells but equally excellent service, our waitress was lovely and friendly, she took our banter with her really well. We'd go again like a shot