“Is this a sauna or a hotel room?”

Holiday Inn Express Birmingham - Castle Bromwich
Ranked #79 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Recently spent 3 nights at CBI and never again. During our stay the outside temperatures were 25-28 degrees Celsius during the day.
We arrived and took up residence on the 2nd floor. 2 of the light bulbs in the room didn't work so the first night was pretty dark. In the morning we found that the shower tray continued filled up whilst in use and took over 30 minutes to drain afterwards.
The good news is that the maintenance man arrived within an hour and fixed all 3 problems.
We noticed this morning that the room temperature was starting to feel uncomfortably hot.
By the time we returned that evening the room was like a furnace.The windows only open 6 inches (probably to stop people jumping out) and so there is no fresh cool air getting into the room. The rooms do not have air con.
In the morning after hardly sleeping at all we asked about moving rooms and the lady offered us a fan which we agreed to try. Again by 4pm the room was like a sauna. The heat on the 2nd floor hit us when we exited the lift and was even hotter in our room despite the window being 'open' all day.
We were offered 2 other rooms at this point. The one on the 1st floor on the same side of the building as our current 2nd floor room was a couple of degrees cooler but still not pleasant. They also had a room on the ground floor which was lovely and cool.
The downside of this room was that it was next to the car park and was a disabled room with twin beds rather than the double we had booked.
Whilst this room was able to stay cool it did mean that my wife and I ended up in a twin room rather than a double room.
The staff did what they could with what they had available in my opinion. The problem is the hotel is just incorrectly built and keeps the heat in during warm days. We spoke with numerous members of staff who all advised that the opposite is true in winter when the rooms are always too cold.
I would recommend choosing a hotel elsewhere because until they can sort out the cooling (and heating) in this hotel then staying and sleeping there can be very uncomfortable if the outside weather is quite hot.

One final note if you do dare to try this hotel, turning left onto the main road outside can add 5 minutes to your journey.

Room Tip: Only the ground floor is cool when the outside weather is hot. Floors 1 - 4 are uncomfortably hot.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DaveS73

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Booked for one night after attending a concert in nearby NEC. Good position but we drove past as unsure whether 'CBI' stood for Castle Bromwich Inn or that other well-known organisation. Then found the motorway junction only had slip road one side so long way to get back to where we went wrong!
Apart from that, hotel great. Pleasant room, well insulated against the adjacent M6. Good food and excellent customer service.
Highly recommended

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank the_white_horse
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We stayed at the Castle Brom Inn over Spring Fair as the Holiday Inn Express NEC was full and we're glad we did. Although improvements wouldn't go amiss (cooked breakfast, air conditioning, evening meals) the service we received was 10 to non ESPECIALLY Rachel. There was nothing she wouldn't do for us my husband is disabled and I'm an elderly lady of 60 odd carrying a lot of luggage and she was happy to help, then when we needed a room move as our window wouldn't close she was quick to recitfy the problem and again happy to help with our luggage no questions asked, very very nice natured chatty wee girl. Free wifi, rooms are immaculately clean, all staff are genuinely kind, Claire i think she was the manager was very nice and a stones throw from the NEC basically will be coming back next year. I'm saddened that the grown woman below would try to slander a young girl over money, you can't take it with you.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night whilst away on a business trip. Cheap basic hotel. I booked through euro bookings online. Unfortunetly I was without hot water for my stay here so had a very cold shower in the morning - not giving me a great start to the busy business day ahead. HOWEVER the real trouble began when I requested to get some kind of refund/discount for the trouble of having no hot water. I spoke with Simon the general manager of the hotel upon my departure who had promised I would be able to receive a refund from Euro bookings if I contact them and arrange through Euro Bookings - who when I contacted claimed they were unable to process any kind of refund. As a result I contacted the hotel.

After my stay at the Castle Bromwich Inn off course Simon became completely unavailable and despite being promised a call from him by Receptionist Racheal I am still awaiting his call. Despite calling him a further 3 times in attempt to get hold of him I still to this day have been told he is "not around at the moment".

In the light of not being able to get hold of Simon Rachel tells me I booked through Expedia and provides me with a booking reference to get a refund from Expedia although Expedia have never heard of this booking reference and neither have I! Receptionist Racheal stated she has never heard of euro bookings (who I actually booked with) so "it is not her problem".

So a week on from my cold stay at the Castle Bromwich Inn I have been left ever more sour about my stay. The customer service is appalling and very unprofessional. It is important for staff to know where your hotel stays are being advertised and sold from otherwise as in my case Racheal has been very unhelpful as she is completely unaware that Castle Bromwich Inn hotel rooms are available on www.eurobookings.com so very unable to deal with myself as a customer!

Needless to say I will not be returning again and would recommend you don't either. I will make sure all of my chums who attend Spring Fair & Hobby Stitch @ the NEC every year are well aware this is not a hotel to stay at.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank KarenH2013
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The CB Inn just seems to work well for me and my business needs - just off the M6, easy access and plenty of parking.

Clean and functional rooms with room to work and relax - the continental buffet breakfast is all that's needed and great tables in the lounge for your laptop, plus instant and free wifi.

No restaurant, but call-in menus near reception and plates and cutlery made available - a curry and a pint after a busy day is just fine and affordable for most budgets. Room rates fair and value for money.

Staff friendly, so well done to all of them - they seem to care about their business

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 11, 2013

This hotel was not too bad. Doesn't have a swimming pool nor a restaurant (only for breakfast) bar prices TOO HIGH!!! £4.99 for a pint! Staff were very helpful. Lift broke three times during our 5 day stay. DO NOT use their wake-up call service if it is an important event in the morning. It was 2 hours late.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Stayed in this hotel for one night on a business trip. It was relatively cheap, I was prepared to stay in a basic hotel - but the castle bromwich inn was comfortable and convenient. The fact that a motorway runs along it does not really cause a problem. The rooms are spacious with good facilities. Cleanliness of the bathrooms could be improved, but isn't too bad. the breakfast was disappointing, only the basics (toast and cereal) were available.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business